PDA

View Full Version : First Post

Patrick Marion
05-03-2003, 12:39 PM
Okay...not really my first post but my first painting post.

I painted this 15 or 20 years ago, from a Tony Couch book.
I was so thrilled to learn his technique. The colors in his
paintings attracted my attention. I soon grew bored.
He explained that he produced these "quaint" paintings.

After doing a few, I realized that quaint was not what I
was searching for. I grew tired of looking at these quickly.

After a 15 or 20 year hiatus, it's time to learn more. I do
know now what I am after....Drama! Hopefully after a few
paintings with new techniques I will find out for sure.

Comments welcome.

Grumbacher student grade watercolors on
Strathmore 140lb cold pressed student pad.

Size 18"x 24"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2003/18135-img1.JPG

lyn lynch
05-03-2003, 01:02 PM
Hi, Patrick!
Come on in, the water's fine. How about making a watercolor work in today's time and posting it. Let's see where you are right now. Personally, I can't offer anything from a work that old--do the same image if you like, and don't refer to this one. Looking forward to seeing your work and having you comment on ours.

salmon
05-03-2003, 01:14 PM
Hi Patrick,
seems to me that the problem is not with your painting but with the subject matter. You've got to find what it is that you are passionate about and direct your artistic skills in that direction.
I used to spend hours painting things that I had no interest in at all and painting became a chore that I could have done without, I grew to hate it. Then I found my own way. Turned my back on what was considered normal and just did my own thing. A lot of people don't like what I do but they respect the passion that I put into it. My saying is, if it don't put a bubble on your doodah, then don't do it. Good Luck. Experiment.

pampe
05-03-2003, 01:47 PM
ok, Patrick

now give us one from YOU!!!!

Uschi
05-03-2003, 02:38 PM
Hi Patrick!!!
Salmon said it all, all I can add is YUP!!!
Uschi

Patrick Marion
05-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Thanks, fookie, salmon, pampe & uschi.

Fookie & Pampe-working on it.

Salmon & Uschi- Thanks for the great advice.
Landscapes inpire me, it's really learning a
technique that will express what I want to say.

CharM
05-04-2003, 01:01 AM
Anxiously awaiting YOUR work... There is an excellent ref photo in the newest Project Challenge!!! Would love it if you signed up!

Rod
05-04-2003, 01:23 AM
If landscapes inspire you then drama can be added with bold tonal contrasts , stormy skies, jagged rock outcrops , and most important strong light and shadows,

Look forward to seeing your latest,

Rod.

mhimeswc
05-04-2003, 01:34 AM
I started watercolor with a Tony Couch book too! I really liked his style and wanted to paint that way. Since then I've developed my own style, and found a lot of new watercolor heroes. You will too.

Michelle

painterbear
05-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Hi Patrick,

Glad to see you post a painting, even if it is from a while ago. I agree with your assessment of Tony Couch's paintings. I took one of his books out of the library once, but I found his paintings to be not very interesting.

There are many wonderful landscape artists here in the Watercolor forum, and I'm sure you will be able to get ideas for developing your own style by studying their paintings.

One good thing about being here at WC! is that people are always willing to give you advice if you need it, critiques if you ask for them, and praise for effort and achievement both.

Bill J
05-04-2003, 07:46 AM
I encourage you to do some type of painting and post it. All the comments you have received so far are great-- I picked up a brush for the first time in years and did my first watercolor ever in January. With the help of WC you will do all right---as they say "JUST DO IT"

nailbender
05-04-2003, 08:09 AM
Patrick, I to live in Kentucky. Adair County (South Central). I enjoyed your painting, and am looking forward to your own composition. Paint what you enjoy painting, and I have found I do better at painting things I know about. Welcome. Bob

Patrick Marion
05-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome Char, Rod, Michelle, Painterbear,
Bill, and Bob!

Char, thanks for the invite. I will check out the challenge.

Rod, it's funny you should mention the stormy skies and
rocky outcrops...that's exactly the type of paintings I have
been studying lately.

Michelle, and Painterbear, I did learn how to mix a color wash on wet paper from Tony Couch. I didn't mean to demean him and he is a good teacher. There is alot that one can learn from him.

Bill, I just tried a lighthouse after the long layoff and it turned
out a mess. I got so disgusted halfway through that I just
scribbled all over it. A mad moment. Not giving up though!

Bob, I'm over here in Leslie C. you know....Tim Couch country.
I am originally from Pennsylvania though. Have only been here
for about 5 yrs. Thanks for the encouragement too. I have
seen some of your work and we seem to have the same interests.

Bill J
05-04-2003, 01:10 PM
Patrick Don't give up on lighthouses. They are not easy usually you get the horison and vanishing ponts screwed up. Remember you are always looking up to a lighthouse and the horizon line is usually below the lighthouse. Set this stage and everything else will fall in.(with practice lol)
bill

"Bill, I just tried a lighthouse after the long layoff and it turned
out a mess. I got so disgusted halfway through that I just
scribbled all over it. A mad moment. Not giving up though! "

Gilberte
05-04-2003, 01:59 PM
paint, experiment, paint, experiment and paint again and again !
You'll enjoy it and we await your postings !