PDA

View Full Version : Summer's Gold

madmum
05-03-2003, 09:10 AM
Huge thanks to Pilan for the inspirational ref. image in the library :)

Here I go with yellow again! lol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2003/10535-California_poppy_for_Guillot.jpg

Comments/critiques welcome - already spotted a couple of shadows I missed on the foliage :rolleyes:

Ruth

artmom
05-03-2003, 09:15 AM
Ruth, very nice--what size is it? I think some of your darks could go a wee bit darker, but it is pretty as is!

Lyn

CharM
05-03-2003, 09:24 AM
Ruth, I love your pallette... I think it's interesting that posting our paintings provides us with a different view and allows us to see those things we missed or want to change... Aside from your mention of the shadows, I can offer no other critique... Your saved whites are lovely! I especially like the touch of purple...

madmum
05-03-2003, 09:31 AM
Lyn, do you think so? Hmmmm did a Pampe on myself ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2003/10535-California_poppy_greyscale.jpg

Depending on your monitor, you're probably viewing this actual size - it's 5x7 (ish)

Char, thank you :) I'm always noticing missed bits in posts - different perspective, I guess!

Ruth

tigre255
05-03-2003, 09:46 AM
Ruth this is lovely.......my only nit is the center of the flower could go a little darker to give it some depth, but is lovely just the way it is too......yellow flowers are my hardest to do....have tried and can't seem to get it right......so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.....lol

Phillip
05-03-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by madmum

Depending on your monitor, you're probably viewing this actual size - it's 5x7 (ish)

Ruth [/B]

Great painting. apart from the slightly darker shadows as mentioned above, I don't see anything to critique on this.

I have noticed that a lot of artists here paint at 7x5. I find this amazing, I have not painted anything smaller than 12x8.

I don't know if I could paint smaller, I find that the bigger size is easier for me, particularly with shading etc, but than again I have not tried any smaller, Maybe I should.

madmum
05-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Thank you, Barb :) I might add a touch of red to the centre, not sure though :confused:

I have noticed that a lot of artists here paint at 7x5.

Phillip, that's because alot of us are participating in the postcard exchange project! We have 29 postcard size paintings to send out to other participants :eek: It's great practice at small formats! lol I prefer to paint much larger - my biggest so far was 22" square :D

Thanks for looking and commenting :)

Ruth

Starsprite
05-03-2003, 10:00 AM
Ruth, I think this is fantastic!!! I love the color combo and the composition is great!! Way to go!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Phillip
05-03-2003, 10:05 AM
Thank you, Barb :) I might add a touch of red to the centre, not sure though :confused:

Phillip, that's because alot of us are participating in the postcard exchange project! We have 29 postcard size paintings to send out to other participants :eek: It's great practice at small formats! lol I prefer to paint much larger - my biggest so far was 22" square :D

Ruth

LOL:D
I knew something was going on. "Why so many artists painting 7x5"

madmum
05-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Oops! :o

madmum
05-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Phillip, I like how you ask all the questions :D I'm always happy to answer any questions anybody has :angel:

Patty, thank you! I seem to be drawn to the yellow/purple combination alot lately - probably an antidote to the British weather! lol

Ruth

lyn lynch
05-03-2003, 01:17 PM
small size...[bleugh]
yellow...[bleugh]

OK, got that out of my system. ;)
You are getting more and more interpretive, Maddie, and I love it.

You ned a bit of darker in the center of this fella, especially since you used [yellow]. I just emphasize it unevenly w/perhaps Indian Red, something greyed to keep in the value range but draw the eye; I not thinking depth so much as contrast to draw eye but not stay.

Could also add a touch-down here and there of the b/g greens near the center red and into the stamen area, maybe an offset image of a pistil.

More deepen of lost and found in the purple bits near the flower intersections to separte a bit--here depth.

Very good, ol' girl. I like it!

madmum
05-03-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by fookie
small size...[bleugh]
yellow...[bleugh]

OK, got that out of my system. ;)

LOL Auntie! :D Sorry, the photo called to me!

Darker centre has been mentioned, so I'll try that.

Deepen of lost and found near flower intersections? Sorry, brain dead, could you explain? :)

Ruth

pampe
05-03-2003, 02:32 PM
pretty

agree with the comments above

*wonder fooks even comes into these yellow ones, eh*

Olga
05-03-2003, 02:35 PM
Well--I DO like yellow (and PURPLE, of course) and I am so impressed how you managed to get the flower and its petals have sime depth without getting them muddy.
It's a lovely card, Ruth

Olga

Uschi
05-03-2003, 02:47 PM
Ruth that's lovely!!! (Pronounced it the british way for you!!!)
Uschi

artijan
05-03-2003, 06:08 PM
I like the golden yellow and purple combination. Some good suggestions above.

Jan

artcrazy
05-03-2003, 06:58 PM
I love yellow, too :D , this is very lovely!!!!!! What color did you use for shadow on the flower?

think you have done a wonderful job with this! The composition is also very nice! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pilan
05-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Madmum Wow! I love the watercolours effect and the poppy is sooo beautiful I am a sucker for a beautiful poppy. I am glad you did this in watercolor I love it. A touch of crimson would be beautiful too. It will give it more depth and contrast.

You did wonderful just wonderful on the poppy and the blue background flowers as well.

:clap: good going

Pilan

Ruth

rapolina
05-06-2003, 08:43 AM
very beautiful and sunny! I'm in a yellow period too ;) !
it gives joy to a painting, like your lilium!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
ciao, rapolina.

Annetta
05-06-2003, 09:18 AM
.....looking just great Ruth!! :clap: :clap:

Agree with defining flower a bit more. Love how you gave the impression of depth with flowers receding behind the yellow flower. Color choices are beautiful. Will check back.... :D

Astur
05-06-2003, 09:55 AM
great postcard!!!

love that yellow...

NeerlysGal
05-06-2003, 10:14 AM
This is very lovely:)

Faafil
05-06-2003, 11:02 AM
Ruth this is lovely... great use of complimentaries...