PDA

View Full Version : Uncles onions

Drumbeat-trish
05-02-2003, 10:50 PM
Took a pic of these onions hanging in my uncle's garage. Unfortunately my drawing skills being what they are I didn't follow my ref pic properly and the bunch of onions went somewhat skewiff !!!!!! Then I got confused about the light source/s. In reality there was light coming from the window and from two open doors either side of the onions - stronger from the left as the onions were hanging near that door.
Anyway if I can get this fixed -would like to send it to my uncle who thought it was a huge joke me taking photos of his onions.
Any advice /comments appreciated :)

Oh yeah approx 9"x12" canson -rough side. Mostly Terry Ludwig pastels a few faber-castells

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2003/6194-unconion.jpg

Redsy333
05-03-2003, 07:25 AM
Trish Im not sure I understand what you want to fix, but i gotta tell ya....this is GREAT!
I love the colors you used and the fact you echoed the colors in the window sill is awsome! Without seeing a ref. photo its hard to really say, but as it is ..I love it! If anything I would crop that top off, unless you can pull some of the colors and values upward some. To me the top half just doesnt have the appeal as the bottom area! I looked at it with crop above onions..letting some string show...but thats just one way to view.

Excellent work!

ah heck...lol i looked again...and I dunno if you should crop it...maybe just change the value of the rack the onions are hanging from....lol cause the rack adds to your compositions so well!!!
hehe Just ignore me...its a dandy!!

jackiesimmonds
05-03-2003, 11:41 AM
Gorgeous colours and smashing subject.......but that string of onions is being dwarfed by its surroundings, imho.

Why not have another look at your photo, and try cropping in onto the onions, to see if that makes a stronger composition. I feel sure it would. I reckon if you zoom in on those onions, you could have fun making them REALLY fat and round and oniony. All those lovely curves! The window is the least attractive part of the composition and does nothing for the poor onions.

Jackie

Drumbeat-trish
05-03-2003, 02:48 PM
Redsy -thanks :)
Jackie - thank-you. Gonna have another go and these and hone in on the onions more as you suggest and see what happens :)

Drumbeat-trish
05-03-2003, 05:57 PM
HELP !!!!!!!!!!! -having decided to have another go and focus more on the onions -question -do I leave in a bit of the window which may look weird - or just have wall in the background -which may look boring ??????????????

moomiji
05-03-2003, 07:29 PM
Gee, I sure don't mean to be ornery but I love the window!

It's quite a good window.

If I were you, I'd paint some more windows, with or w/o onions.

:)

Drumbeat-trish
05-03-2003, 10:05 PM
LOL - gee thanks moomiji -I think ;) * goes off to scratch head ion confusion*

Oh welcome to WC too moomiji :D

louiethe_cat
05-04-2003, 12:36 AM
Hi Trish,
nice onions, and I like the window in the background and the shading highlights.:clap:

angecald
05-04-2003, 01:10 AM
I like the onions and the window, too. I think it's necessary to show the rack to show how the onions are suspended, and you can't do that without some of the window. An attractive subject, with lots of scope for variations. Want to do an Onion Series?

jackiesimmonds
05-04-2003, 05:14 AM
Howsabout this?

I dropped the bar from which the onions are hanging - forgive the mess, but I cannot draw straight lines on the computer!!! It just gives you the idea.

You get to keep some of the window, but I personally would make the onions bigger and fatter - but that's just me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/1805-onions_framed.JPG

Another tip. When trying to decide upon a picture, do a few little thumbnail pencil sketches, in a sketch book. Just a couple of inches high, that's all. Try different shapes of rectangle, and different compositions. Onions up close, with window, without window, etc. You will know instinctively which one you like the best.

Jackie
www.jackiesimmonds.co.uk

Drumbeat-trish
05-04-2003, 06:45 AM
Alan -thank you for looking and commenting -much appreciated :)
angecald -thanks :) -a series lol doubt it !!!!!!! but I do want to finish with something out of sheer :P at my uncle :)

Jackie you are a saviour and thak you for looking again :) What you have shown in your crop there is what I think was in my head when I first saw these blimmin onions hanging there -but let myself be taken astray by the photo I took. I often do a thumbnail sketch too but I didn't with this.

Looking forward to moving on with version2 and thanks again for all the encouragement and advice :D Although I'm beginning to think Uncle was right 'what the heck you getting excited over a bunch of onions for lol' I'll show him ;)

Mo.
05-04-2003, 07:13 AM
Love your onions Trish...don't they look great against the window...looking forward to version 2. :)

cheers,
Mo.

guilliame
05-04-2003, 05:41 PM
Hey Trish,really like the colours in this, if i was your unc it would be hanging on my kitchen wall now:clap:

louiethe_cat
05-04-2003, 10:17 PM
Wow Jackie, that looks so good with the way you cropped it, you have a knack at that as I do recall. Trish, you have a winner here!:clap:

Luvy
05-05-2003, 02:19 AM
Trish Great job on this. And I like the window in the pic. Great onions.

angeline
05-05-2003, 04:37 AM
Great onions! and the window looks good too!

Dark_Shades
05-05-2003, 05:40 AM
Looks Great Trish, love the colours you used, good atmosphere, love the window too