PDA

View Full Version : Peony Tree Blooms Finished?

CharM
05-02-2003, 07:40 PM
I haven't had a chance to paint all week, but tonight I was able to put the finishing touches on my picture based on your suggestions... Thanks for everyone's comments and critiques, they're much appreciated. The colour in the Before pic is off because I took the photo with a flash... I think this is done! You are very free to tell me what you think!!!
Then, I'm off to start the very first portrait I've ever done in my life...

Before: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2003/20514-Peony.jpg
After: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2003/20514-Peony1.jpg

babybrush
05-02-2003, 07:44 PM
i do like the blue better.

great job

Bethany

Strawberry Wine
05-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Char, absolutely beautiful intricate petal detail

I love the changes you have made from before to after.

Gail

CharM
05-02-2003, 08:15 PM
Thanks Bethany and Gail... I'm going to town tomorrow to the framer's...

Little Old Lady
05-02-2003, 08:17 PM
Lovely floral!
JoAnn

artsduo
05-02-2003, 08:22 PM
Very pretty floral.. love the colors you used!

Marcia

artmom
05-02-2003, 08:50 PM
Char, great! IMO, a little bit darker around some of the lighter outer edges would add to the POP, but it's beautiful as is!

Lyn

CharM
05-02-2003, 10:01 PM
JoAnn, Marcia and Lyn... Thanks so much... Lyn... I'm afraid of the dark...LOL...

Actually, the one I ruined had a very dark background... The colour I had originally chosen absolutely did not work with the colour of the flowers... I really don't want to do this one again... If it was just for me, I'd brave it... But I want to give it to my Stepfather as a Father's Day gift... so, even though I feel that you're absolutely right, I'm going to leave well enough alone! In asking for additional critiques, I should have realized that this still isn't right (or I wouldn't have asked... duh...)

Thanks and I appreciate your honesty!!!

lyn lynch
05-02-2003, 10:17 PM
Finished.
Great gift and lovely sentiment. You are a good girl.
Go paint your portrait.

pampe
05-02-2003, 10:33 PM
wonderful work, Char

I'd crop it in a bit.....

karenboss
05-02-2003, 11:30 PM
Very pretty, Char - Peonys are my favorite - Lucky Dad!

I guess Pam posted while I fiddled, nonetheless, I agree. Crop.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2003/4697-temporary.jpg

Nitsa
05-03-2003, 05:56 AM
I agree about darks but fully understand that you don't want to push it.
The new touches really bring it to life Char...WD! :D

I like Karens crop alot! ;)

Phillip
05-03-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by artmom
Char, great! IMO, a little bit darker around some of the lighter outer edges would add to the POP, but it's beautiful as is!

Lyn

Can I ask, I see it around a lot, What does IMO mean??

Also love the painting, great technique on the flowers.

painterbear
05-03-2003, 06:34 AM
Hi Char,

Great revision and a beautiful floral painting. It will make a wonderful present.

Nitsa
05-03-2003, 08:56 AM
Can I ask, I see it around a lot, What does IMO mean?? Phillip, it means In My Opinion or IMHO=In My Honest Opinion :)

vestalqueen
05-03-2003, 09:03 AM
Oh, this turned out stunning! I really like the delicacy of the higher key. This reminds me of some hand painted china my mom has that one of her friends did for her in the forties.

Beautiful!

Erin

artmom
05-03-2003, 09:03 AM
Char, I understand the "fear of the dark." LOL

The crops would work well, especially Pam's, as it cuts that little edge of the left-hand peony off and makes you wonder what is beyond the edge.

Lyn

karenjh
05-03-2003, 09:07 AM
Char,
Your final painting turned out beautifully. Nice revisions and the cropping emphasizes those flowers even more. How big is this piece?

CharM
05-03-2003, 09:13 AM
Thanks Fookie!!! I've started sketching my portrait this morning...

Pam and Karen - The crop has it!!!! Thanks so much!!!

Thanks, Nitsa... I agree about the crop... The scissors have done their deed!!!

Thanks Phillip... I seem to be a "control" freak and wish I could paint more loosely... I keep getting caught up in details... Practice, practice, practice... I'll get there!!!

Thank you Sylvia!

Erin, now that you mention it, it does kind of have a "china" look to it... Thanks so much!!!!

Lyn, I'll get over my background phobia one of these days... LOL

Karenjh... 11x15 ... Strathmore cp... Had I been brave enough to darken the background, I wouldn't have had to cop it... But, I've cut it down and it does look pretty good! Thank you!!!

capricorne
05-03-2003, 10:35 AM
You rendered that flower beautifully. Personally I don't like close ups from flowers, I like to see them in a surrounding.
Jan