PDA

View Full Version : Juried Art Shows

rks
05-02-2003, 07:15 PM
How do you know if you are ready for a juried art show? I've had paintings in three, local non-juried shows and probably will be entering a fourth one in July. Several of the local senior artists have said encouraging things about my work. I just picked up the announcement for a juried show close by at the end of the summer, and I'm beginning to think "maybe". Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Right? I would like to start selling some of my work. But this is a giant step for me. Any and all advice will be much appreciated.

Roberta:confused:

Strawberry Wine
05-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Roberta: I agree " nothing ventured nothing gained"
So go for it.

All I know about juried shows is;

The paintings must be suitably matted and framed and available for sale.

The painting must be an original, so no student works done from a class, tutorials or lessons from art books.

They can be from a reference photo, your own or copy write free.

Thats all I know. I am sure that others will be in to offer more information

Gail

Turtle33
05-02-2003, 07:38 PM
hi Roberta :)
i think you should give it a try ! juried shows are sometimes hard to get in to. i know i have tried a number of times and only made it in one so far. that was last summer. i learned that some of time, the works chosen are usually to the taste of the juror. one show i really wanted to get work in to, well, i didn't and neither did a lot of the really accomplished artists. the juror chose the works so fast (because i volunteered to help take away the rejected pieces in to another room) but most of them were a dark moody type work of art. i had three flower paintings i couldn't get in.
also, with juried shows, the jurors love properly matted and framed works. the mat colors should be gray, black, white or an off white. simple frames too, do better.
just as Gail said, the paintings must be originals. nothing copied even from an artist magazine. you can use a picture you took with your own camera but it must be original.
don't be discouraged if a piece does not get in though. i learned from the museum show last summer. i even was lucky enough to have the juror explain why my painting didn't get in and i learned from that. i am going to try again this year with high hopes but it is all a learning experience!
good luck!
Sarah

seedy
05-02-2003, 09:05 PM
Go for it..
Make sure you read the requirements for entry..
slides req'd..white mats ..good framing etc..etc
What have you got to lose..and its fun. Don't make it this time...keep trying
Take care,
Brian

artmom
05-02-2003, 09:11 PM
I have never entered any shows. I would suggest that you check out some juried shows and see what is accepted and what wins. Look at your work in comparison with it, and make your determination if you are ready for entering, or ready for the disappointment of not being accepted. It's your call!

Lyn

Elankat
05-02-2003, 09:12 PM
You might want to check out the Art Business forum. There are lots of people with juried show experience. A search will yield a lot of info and if you still have questions, a post should garner some good advice.

In fact, here is a thread from this week that has some good tips for competitions. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103991

pampe
05-02-2003, 09:15 PM
yes

like anything....it helps us grow

even if you do not get in, it will be a good thing for you

rks
05-03-2003, 02:34 AM
Thanks to all of you for your kind words of encouragement. Yes, I think I will go for it. Now all I need is an outstanding painting to enter. :D

Roberta

painterbear
05-03-2003, 06:51 AM
I agree with what Turtle said about juried shows and the juror's taste.

Yesterday we went to a gallery that is showing the paintings for this year's Western Ohio Watercolor Society show. The winners were set up in the window of the gallery so we saw them first. My husband and I didn't see any there that we thought were very outstanding and couldn't figure out why they were selected.

Then we went in and looked at all the paintings that didn't win and saw several that we thought were FAR better than any that had won—technically, emotionally, and every other way you could look at them.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and in a juried show, the juror is an absolute dictator who rules absolutely. So, if you get in a show, that is a terrific plus, if you don't win, chalk it up to experience but don't be too blown away by it—your style and art just might not be what the juror likes.

rks
05-03-2003, 08:53 PM
Thanks for your words of wisdom, Sylvia!

Roberta

taghera
05-04-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by painterbear
your style and art just might not be what the juror likes.

Yeah...and if you paint better than the juror...you've no chance..little Hitlars come to mind....give them an inch and they will take a mile....:)

lyn lynch
05-04-2003, 12:39 AM
Everything pertinent has already been posted. Rules of entry being the most important, if you want any chance at all of being selected.

Most important is the jurist, and that is beyond control of the individual entering. In local show the jurist may be a skilled oil painter judging watercolor, pen & ink, sculpture, and oils. The jurist may have the passion for oils but needs to have a rounded out show and just selects from other than oil. Who knows? For example, I entered in a local show and was rejected by the jurist. Two weeks later I entered the same work in another local show with a different jurist and not only was it accepted, it was awarded a First Place in my category. See, its what appeals to the individual jurist, imo.

Now national societies, as Sylvia was addressing, is a different animal altogether. I am working it up to enter a national society, too. The society jurists are supposed to have total and specific knowledge of the medium--composition, tones, brush work, value relationships--everything and that is what they are to judge upon. Sylvia tells us of an experience that I relate to a local show, i.e., a popularity vote.

Many are rejected, and, if there are huge numbers of entries, only a few will be selected. I do not understand the hesitation to enter local shows, but then I have always had more guts than brains.

rks
05-04-2003, 03:30 AM
Taghera, Sounds like you've had a less than happy experience with juried shows. Thanks for the warning.

Auntie, Always a treat to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Your comments remind me of the judges at the dog shows we used to attend many years ago. At the time we owned two bullmastiffs, a mother (she weighed 140 lb.) and her son (he weighed 165). Mom was a pale fawn color, and her son was a mahogany red. It didn't take us long to learn which judges favored pale fawn doggies, and which judges favored the reds, and then we entered the appropriate dog. Both dogs wound up with Canadian Championships. LOL As for the whims of jurors, I'll just think positively.

Roberta:cat: