PDA

View Full Version : Barn..not golf

seedy
05-02-2003, 04:48 PM
Not golf...I seem to be spending more time on the technical side than on painting. Thanks to Phillip
I may have gotten a sharper image. Try hitting the Sharpen button...Duh
This is a barn near Ottawa Can.... Not far from SARSville...Toronto Sorry guys, could'nt resist.
The snow has just left, finally. Having a group show next week near this barn..no wise cracks, please.
Note the corn stalks leading to the center of interest? Not my first time downtown!
Gin time.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2003/21167-Winter_barn.jpg
Comments are allowed

Sylvielu
05-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Hi the cornstalks do lead to the barn and the painting is without a doubt beautiful but IMHO it would be even more dynamic if you have an impact area. It could be acheived by maybe making the barn door brighter or splash a subtle touch of a different color on the silo.

I think having a show in a country setting is a lovely idea.

seedy
05-02-2003, 05:11 PM
Sylvielu;
Actually it is quite bright...there is too much blue in colour manipulation....most of the snow is quite white with shadows on the snow being more prominent...
I have been having a hard time uploading with a new scanner from 35mm slides.
Take care,
Brian

pampe
05-02-2003, 05:21 PM
nice composition

I think the values are a tad uniform:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2003/4054-Winter_barn.jpg

good luck on your show

seedy
05-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Pampe...are you trying to get me to submit this again??? like in" if your going to post, get it right"
OK where's the dimples? Is this where I add the (lol)
Take care'
Brian...

pampe
05-02-2003, 05:31 PM
Excuse me, "seedy" but I thought you posted your painting for our comments?????

I am not trying to "get you to do anything"

I am merely showing you what I see.

Pam

seedy
05-02-2003, 05:44 PM
Pampe.
Sure I'm looking for comments...just need to hone my scanning skills..did'nt know I could even do a grey copy...Thanks, I'll use this stuff again..
Actually I did the colour thing when I was coping the slide. Tried to get more of the blue out..but it just went redder which is even worse...So I accidentally stumbled on the Grey button. Neat.
Thank again,
Brian
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2003/21167-grey.jpg

Rich Williams
05-02-2003, 10:42 PM
Seedy it must be the scan as I can see that you do have the skills to draw in the subject.
The colors and values in what you presented here do lack a difference in tone and value. Your values in the foreground are the same as the mid ground and thus do not seem to give the painting the depth that you are trying to achieve. I attribute this to the scan as even in grey scale they appear the same.
I also notice again it must be the scan that the only warmth in the photo is the barn door. I know you must have put some of that color in the foreground straw to bring it forward but we cant see it due to the poor quality of the scan from slide to computer screen.

Hope the next slide to screen turns out better for you.

Rich

karenjh
05-03-2003, 09:16 AM
This is wonderful - love the barn, the snow, etc. The sky is very fluid - love it!

artman42
05-03-2003, 09:22 AM
Hi Seedy
Good Painting agree about the Values , up front make forground a bit Darker, looks good ,

Phillip
05-03-2003, 09:26 AM
Hi Seedy,

I see your still have some issues with that scanner.

Should have a chance to look into it more for you tommorrow.

We will go into it in more detail if you wish. I am sure if we both work on it you should get better quality.

The sharpness has improved I think, maybe just a tad to much. need to work on color.

Starsprite
05-03-2003, 10:03 AM
I love this composition and think you did a fantastic job on painting it. The only thing I would suggest is maybe to add a little pink color in the sky as it it too much like the ground color, just for some added interest. Great job!!:clap: :clap:

seedy
05-05-2003, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the comments folks...the scan was just too blue and looses a lot of the original brightness..
Phillip...Thanks for your help..guess the best way is to have 4x6 prints made...or learn a lot more about film scanning!
Take care,
Brian

William Reents
05-05-2003, 09:16 AM
Love it just as it is.

Annetta
05-05-2003, 01:56 PM
This is a great painting!! :clap: :clap: Looks very much like the countryside around here.

I'm just beginning to learn about value techniques. I get confused sometimes when it's said "you need more values" Sometimes that's the just the "way" the reference 'looks' and is painted verbatim. In other words, on a sunless, wintry day, there just aren't (IMHO) an abundance of values, but I guess you should add some anyway? However, I know that doesn't make it right, or make it a good watercolor painting. I'll get the 'jist' of all this eventually..I hope :rolleyes: So much to learn here! :D

Nandie
05-05-2003, 02:00 PM
Very nice Brian, love the sky!:cat:

els
05-05-2003, 03:12 PM
Great painting Brian, love it...