PDA

View Full Version : Preferred medium for Pet/Human Portraits?

Heads_N_Tails
03-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Hi guys, this is my first post. Now I know there's no "best" medium but I have used everything from scratchboard to oil paints and I love each medium I've tried equally. Unfortunately I just can't afford to keep all my mediums going so I have to narrow it down to one or two.

So this may be a little difficult to answer, I don't know, but I'll try to add a poll to this thread. So here goes:

Pretend you're a person looking for an artist to portray your loved one (pet or human). You don't know too much about art and are more interested in the aesthetics of the portrait rather than the technical side of it. You find an artist who can do all different types of mediums at the same quality and the same price. Which medium do you decide on?

1. The smooth, soft tones of soft pastel
2. The striking, unique black and white detail of scratchboard
3. The crisp, vibrant detail of acrylics
4. The softer, vibrant, details of oil paints.
5. Other (Please comment)

You can vote and comment equally if you'd like to explain your choice.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I don't know if this is in the right category, sorry if it isn't. But the poll leans mainly towards Pet Portraits as that's what I do most, but sometimes humans too. So it's mainly animal art, that's why I thought this would be the best place to put it :lol:

nickib
03-17-2012, 07:08 PM
If you have the right artist in all mediums, I don't think it matters. I have seen excellent outcomes in all of these mediums.:wave::wave:NIcki

Kathrin G.
03-18-2012, 06:18 AM
If you have the right artist in all mediums, I don't think it matters. I have seen excellent outcomes in all of these mediums.:wave::wave:NIcki

best answer :thumbsup:

Aderynglas
03-18-2012, 03:16 PM
If you have the right artist in all mediums, I don't think it matters. I have seen excellent outcomes in all of these mediums.NIcki

Brilliant answer and so true :clap: :clap:

Unfortunately the poll questions make assumptions about the different mediums which make it difficult for me to answer them.

I use soft pastels and it's difficult to tell if I've used oil paints by the time I've finished ;)

It isn't only the medium which dictates the look but the methods used by the artist too :smug:

Bertoni
03-18-2012, 05:02 PM
I totally agree with Nicki!!! Each person has their favorite medium!
If it works well for you, use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barb'sArt
03-18-2012, 05:18 PM
I also agree with Nicki's answer!
I used to offer my client's different mediums, but I love working in pastels, so I am now using them for all of my paintings! I think that once you are comfortable in a particular medium, and you love that medium, you should continue to master the techniques of that medium's application techniques.

nickib
03-18-2012, 05:48 PM
You guys are really making me feel good:lol::lol::lol: I was always that kid in school that was afraid to raise my hand because I might be wrong, then when someone else would yell out my answer I would be sad that I didn't raise my hand. So when I wrote this answer, I was kind of afraid people wouldn't agree. Surprise, surprise, surprise. You have all put a smile on my face:) thanks, Nicki

Barb'sArt
03-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Nicki-:grouphug:

Heads_N_Tails
03-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Thanks for your input guys! It's still a hard choice for me because I love to use all different types of mediums. I guess I'll just go with the ones I enjoy most :)

Kanielle
03-20-2012, 05:47 AM
Another one agreeing with Nicki!

aRt4us
03-20-2012, 09:03 AM
I had a customer who had the choice of any medium for a portrait of his 21 year old son. He chose graphite. If you’re able to do any medium then the choice can be the customers.
I love them all because I enjoy painting or creating, but oils are my favourite.
I had my hand up too :D but Nickib got there first.:smug:
Painting fun
Gary

nickib
03-20-2012, 10:56 AM
I had a customer who had the choice of any medium for a portrait of his 21 year old son. He chose graphite. If you’re able to do any medium then the choice can be the customers.
I love them all because I enjoy painting or creating, but oils are my favourite.
I had my hand up too :D but Nickib got there first.:smug:
Painting fun
Gary

Good one Gary:D The next one is yours:):wave:Nicki

George924
03-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Commission fees will play into a clients choice, but it is also great to give a well balanced choice. Before I started oil painting I was shot down quite a few times because the client did not think color pencil was a real form of art, now that I provide that medium they pay 4 times the amount...but they have what they want. I also get quite a bit of people who buy the preliminary sketches of the portraits because they love the graphite look.

midcoast
03-21-2012, 06:56 AM
90% of the time I paint in oils - that's my go-to medium for every subject matter. I'll occasionally paint in watercolor or ink/watercolor but that's usually just for quick studies or sketches.

Nancy

bluemoonstar
03-23-2012, 12:04 AM
I love the look of soft pastel - if I were a client, that's what I'd want!

I work in watercolor, acrylic, and pastel - but people seem to prefer oils over anything else. When I say "Im an artist", they always ask "do you work in oils?" .... I really must learn to use oils, too, :lol: