PDA

View Full Version : Well, here I go again, or is it Still? FINISHED

Barb'sArt
03-17-2012, 01:02 AM
:) Hi All,
After the fiasco with my last Brown Spinone, I decided to try this one w/o ref., so keep fingers crossed.
Another pastel on Ampersand, 8 x 10.
it's funny as this one is going very quickly, I've got about 4 hrs. thus far, much faster than when I have used ref. material.....:confused:
Anyway, it's coming along and I hope to finish by tomorrow.
I see the glaring black little branch in the large tree, will soften that,.
Anything else you see that looks off at this point, just holler!
CC's always welcomed!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2012/190936-Spinone_Brown_Roan_wip_2_sm.jpg

ArtbyPeggy
03-17-2012, 02:03 AM
Great job on the fur and small hairs around the forehead!
Looks good so far!

skappy
03-17-2012, 03:09 AM
It looks great so far Barb congrat for fighting back and doing it whitout ref yep it goes faster
IMHO one little detail the position of the right ear is confusing with the tongue and gives a sad feeling to the pict so maybe you can move it a bit I did a simulation in psd for you to see Hope you do not mind. Maybe it is only me? so you can judge
Robert:cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2012/157927-Spinone_Brown_Roan_.jpg

Lexycat
03-17-2012, 07:38 AM
I am loving your series of Spinone dogs Barb, the last one was wonderfully painted and really the owners missed out, but well done for moving on - looking good so far, I think I prefer the position of the tongue in the original, its hard to tell until you get more done and add more pinks maybe?

As always you're doing a good job with the background:)

Bertoni
03-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Barb:
This is looking super fine!! Congrats on a great job!!!:thumbsup:

Barb'sArt
03-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Peggy-Thank YOU!

Robert, Thanks for understanding my drive to get this series done, no matter the last incident! Tongue?:confused: Their is no tongue, as the Dog's mouth will be closed.
I think the moving of the ear(thank you for doing that, much appreciated),has brought that issue to my attention. I think changing the shape a bit will help as well.Your version also defines the head shape better, but, I will see how things move along as i get more of the VERY hairy beard in. When i start the body color, I hope the head/beard will then read better.

Lexy-, thank you! Your support means alot!

Burt- Thanks for you much appreciated comments!

I will have an update later today, thanks for following along, you guys are the best! I also wanted to share with you all, since you had been so helpful on the "fiasco".
First, let me explain, I'm the kind of artist that really focuses on one painting at a time. I do not do more than one at a time. So, when the fiasco ensued, I was almost finished with the last painting. After I "put my foot down", and decided not to finish the painting and/or exhibit it. I finished it just because I couldn't seem to get it off my easel any other way. Is that weird? I kept thinking about all the hrs. I had into it, and I REALLY liked how it was coming along! I'm keeping it for me, it won't be exhibited(except on my own wall), as a practice piece.
Thought you might like to see the finished piece, remember, I'm not showing it, I'm using this for teaching purposes.:)
See how this dog's mouth is closed? This newest painting will have the same closed mouth.:smug:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2012/190936-Brown_Roan_Final_sm..jpg

lotsofsmoggies
03-17-2012, 11:02 AM
:clap: well done, thats the way to go. :thumbsup:

evartpat
03-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Very nice...you certainly know these dogs well!

KarenESP
03-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Turned out really beautiful - Great work!

ArtbyPeggy
03-17-2012, 05:33 PM
:clap: on a fine finish that will look lovely displayed on your wall :)

FaeLynn
03-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Hey for the record, I didn't see a tongue either. Just a lovely piece that's really coming along great! And also, kudos to you for keeping the other painting and not getting rid of it. It's beautiful!! I'll be following.

Barb'sArt
03-18-2012, 12:09 AM
Hey THANKS everyone! i'm glad you liked the finish on the "fiasco" one...
now on to an update-
I've worked the head some more, and I hope I have done enpugh on the right ear for it to now read better. Let me know...OK?

I am now working the body fur, gosh these dogs have loads of beard, glad i'm mostly done with that(unless you see something off). Guess that's why Spinone owners tell me that a beard towel or chin towel is a MUST have!
Now one thing that is bugging me is the proportions....does the head look too big? One time I look at it and it's ok, the next it looks too big:confused:

Thanks for any advice or comments!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2012/190936-Brown_Roan_3.jpg

wildlifeart89
03-18-2012, 12:38 AM
What a sweetie. I love the beards, so much character!:D Created without a reference? That's amazing!
Paige

nickib
03-18-2012, 01:33 AM
I don't know Barb, I think it looks fantastic!!! I also love the sky and the trees:clap::clap:Nicki

lotsofsmoggies
03-18-2012, 03:46 AM
I'm thinking maybe it is, but the focus is to be mainly on the head anyway. Maybe Skappy can do some more PS on it to show how a 'bigger' body would look.

Spinones are huge dogs, its quite a shock to see one in real life, well I found that anyway. :lol: I'm sure you'll decide the best way forward. The head and bg look fantastic :thumbsup:

lisapencil
03-18-2012, 04:16 AM
Looks great to me Barbs. I'd never heard of Spinones until a couple of years ago let alone seen one, now I see them everywhere. :cat:

PatrickHedges
03-18-2012, 07:50 AM
I'm no connoiseur but to do this without a ref is extraordinary!

Barb'sArt
03-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Paige- Thanks for checking in. Love your recent work, you are really soaring unto the next level in your work!:)

Nicki- Aww, thanks so much! You know it's funny, but as hesitant as I've been to do my portrait paintings bgs more detailed, I find I love doing them!
This series is really helping me with that aspect, as well as learning this breed.

Annie- Thanks! I think I'm going to add more shading/shadow to define the shape of the head in the area just right of the beard. i think that will help "decrease' the size of the head a bit. Looking at my first wip picture, looks better proportion before I did the neck fur and fur by the ear, so I think that will do it.

Lisa- I've not seen one in person, so this series, excepting this one, relied on ref. I have a good understanding of this breed's anatomy, fur texture, eye color, etc., based on the AKC breed's standard. I studied it before I started this series, and am checking it often during this one!

Patrick- Thank YOU! It isn't as bad as I thought it would be, as I've done many paintings w/o ref.....just not for dog show people...scary...as they will be my critics.:eek: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

I'll post the finish later today, thanks so much for following along!

Barb'sArt
03-18-2012, 05:27 PM
And finished! I made some changes to the body, and ended up totally removing the hint of the right ear, like it better now.
I'll leave it for a few days and then check it again, and if you see something just let me know, thanks!
The camera just isn't picking up the colors on the body well, but it is more reflecting the head colors than what is showing in this photo.
CC's welcomed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2012/190936-Brown_Roan_2_Final_sm..jpg

Barb'sArt
03-18-2012, 06:14 PM
A better pic-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2012/190936-Brown_Roan_2_Final_2_sm..jpg

ArtbyPeggy
03-18-2012, 11:59 PM
:clap: Beautiful Job!

lotsofsmoggies
03-19-2012, 02:44 AM
fantastic :thumbsup:

Jono
03-19-2012, 04:58 AM
Great job Barb, I had 2 German Short Haired Pointers and use to go to all the working shows, some years ago mind and the Spinones was part of the HPR (Hunt, Point, Retrive) breed and like others I think you got him spot on!:thumbsup:

Barb'sArt
03-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Peggy, Annie and Jono- Thanks so very much!

I hope it looks like the breed, and that the exhibitors will think so.

skappy
03-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Hi Great job Barb love the hair Maybe the dog seems a bit wide to me it could be the difference between the dog and bg on the bottom right that doesnt read very well it does better on my other cpu I bet it does read better IRL
Robert:cat::cat:

Lexycat
03-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Kudos Barb for doing this without a ref, I would be hopeless at that, the first two you did are still my favourites, but this will set the other two off nicely:thumbsup:

Orchid Lady
03-19-2012, 11:34 AM
The dog is very well done and I really like how you did the background!

Barb'sArt
03-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Robert- thanks for your input!!! I've double checked the painting and i believe it is my LACK of photography skills as it does appear fine in RL. The body does appear to have 'washed out":( in the photo, that's why I kept trying to take a better on.
I could darken the contrast on the photo a bit more, but then I loose the colors. Arrrgh...I'm the worst at taking photos of my artwork, cannot ever get one that is close enough....sigh. Thanks so much for checking though, I truly appreciate it!

Hi Lexy and thanks for your encouragement! Studying the AKC breed standard helped me alot. My years of dog showing allows me the know how of "applying" that standard a bit as well. This actually makes the 6th Spinone painting I've done for this show(I've posted each in A&W), and I hope to do a few more. The one titled "All Tucked In" has already been sold! But, the purchaser is willing to wait for shipment until after the showing.:)

OrchidLady- thanks for your ongoing support as well!

skappy
03-19-2012, 05:17 PM
I agree with you it is very hard to photograph your art and make it look as the original the blues are impossible in digital plus the compression online does nt help :( but lets be happy with what we have :)
I take my picture outdoor an hour before noon in the shade the best way will be a studio with three light sources but I do not have it
You're doing very well I wish I could do more pastels but I always go back to watercolor
Robert:cat:

jbart
03-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Astonishing work! Beautiful painting.