PDA

View Full Version : Loggerhead Turtle Nesting

Phillip
05-02-2003, 06:07 AM
Hi All,

I took this photo January this year about 3 in the morning, after I finished Processing her.

I am a Turtle researcher here. She laid about 125 eggs. they are about the size of a ping pong ball but very soft. Each nesting turtle that nests on our beach has a titanium tag, if they don't have one I will put one in. I basically take measurements etc. We have records dating back 30 years for each particular turtle.
Sea turtles nest on the same beach that there born on. They don't nest till there about 30 years of age. There home ground is anywhere up to 2000 km away. so it's amazing after 30 years they find there way back to the very beach they was born at.

They are much the same as a pigeon. They use the magnetic variations in the earth to find there way back to there nesting beach. They are truly amazing.

Oh well don't want to get to technical here,
I painted this one a few weeks ago. Hope you like it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2003/21263-1.jpg

CharM
05-02-2003, 06:28 AM
Wow, Phillip, your explanation is sooooooo INTERESTING!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!! You painting is lovely... Is that Mom laying her eggs?

Phillip
05-02-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by CharM
Wow, Phillip, your explanation is sooooooo INTERESTING!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!! You painting is lovely... Is that Mom laying her eggs?

Yes about 3 in the morning. Had to wait till than because its one of the biggest tourist atractions here. half hour ago there would of been almost 70 tourists around me watching. she usauly takes about an hour and a half. But don't worry the visitors do not worry them at all. if they did we would not allow visitors.

I start about 6 pm & finnish sometimes about 7 the next morning.

I took my camera in my backpack. The only time I ever have, been there for 4 years now.

Uschi
05-02-2003, 08:47 AM
Fascinating story and very educational Phillip!!!! and the painting is very nice too!!!!
Uschi

artmom
05-02-2003, 09:36 AM
Phillip, thanks for sharing the story and the painting! Very nice.

Lyn

mccab42
05-02-2003, 10:19 AM
Phillip:

Nice painting. I like the expression on the turtle, she looks exhausted! The painting certainly gives tribute to struggle in giving life!
Thanks Phillip

Bill J
05-02-2003, 01:02 PM
GREAT PICTURE-- A word about turtles. We have a beach here (south west Florida) Manasota Key were most of the turtles on the west coast of F lorida come to lay there eggs. The state has made strict rules during turtle nesting season. All nests are marked. It is illegal to disture them in any way. All lights in business establishments close to beach must be turned off at night. until after the hatching season. and the list goes on and on. Any violations results in a jail sentnce plus large fine--because of these rules we now have an excellent record of hatching and new ones returning to sea.

bill

pampe
05-02-2003, 02:49 PM
I especially like the watery way you did her shell

nice

M.A.
05-02-2003, 04:18 PM
A wonderful painting. Enjoyed your research too!

Jijo
05-02-2003, 04:27 PM
Thanks Phillip for the story, makes the subject much more interesting
fantastic turtle painting, and as Pampe said, great tech in itīs shell and skin texture.
I feel as if she needs some support at the bottom, as a shadow not to fly away. Also I would like some external size reference
Alex

Phillip
05-03-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Bill Johnson
GREAT PICTURE-- A word about turtles. We have a beach here (south west Florida) Manasota Key were most of the turtles on the west coast of F lorida come to lay there eggs. The state has made strict rules during turtle nesting season. All nests are marked. It is illegal to disture them in any way. All lights in business establishments close to beach must be turned off at night. until after the hatching season. and the list goes on and on. Any violations results in a jail sentnce plus large fine--because of these rules we now have an excellent record of hatching and new ones returning to sea.

bill

I am glad to hear this, We need to protect them. for example its estimated that in the last 20 years we have lost 80% of Loggerhead turtles.

Not to sure if this is world wide but certainly here.

Numbers are stable though but we certainly do not want to lose anymore. The loggerhead turtle is on the world endangered list.