PDA

View Full Version : oils/acrylics on lino?

kare
05-02-2003, 02:26 AM
quick question..
i haven't done a lino print since school, 3 years ago.
i think i used some type of ink on the lino print, to print it onto paper...

does anyone know if i can use oil paints with terps or maybe acrilys mixed with a bit of water instead of ink? or is this a big no-no??

ciarrai

Gisela
05-02-2003, 07:13 PM
I checked a couple of my books, but all that's mentioned is printing ink.
You might want to try doing a small piece and experimenting to see how it works with different paints.
I've used both oils and acrylics for monotypes, but I'm not sure if there would be a problem with the lino. Acrylic dries so quickly that it might build up in the cuts -- maybe with a retarder?

Gisela

talkingbanana
05-03-2003, 06:31 PM
I think oils would work great - I haven't done a lino print for a year and it's been even longer since I've touched the oil paints, but I seem to remember the oil paints and the ink I used for the lino prints being the same consistency. I've actually thought about using the oil paints on lino, but I ran out of turpentine and don't feel like buying more to clean up - and I hate painting with them anyway.

I think acrylics dry way too fast, and once they dry, I doubt they'll come off of the lino. Don't try them on a plate you've worked really hard on, because I really think they'll ruin it. You could try them, though. I don't know if retarder will help - depending on how much you use, it thins the paint which might not be good for printing on lino.

Good luck!

msue
05-03-2003, 11:33 PM
I've printed my soft cut lino blocks using acrylic paints. I've even recently used watercolor crayon. As long as you mist the block ocassionaly or between prints with water to keep the acrylic from drying too quick then clean up as soon as you finish it can be done. In fact I printed the border on an altar cloth and a stole using craft acrylics.

diphascon
05-08-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by ciarrai
does anyone know if i can use oil paints with terps or maybe acrilys mixed with a bit of water instead of ink? or is this a big no-no??

hello,

I've copy-pasted part of an article in the Gertstaecker online mag (Gerstaecker is a mail order supplier for artists):
-------------------------------

Artisan und Linoldruck

Artisan kann auch für den Linoldruck verwendet werden. Die Farbe sollte für diesen Zweck eine ölige Konsistenz aufweisen. Dazu muß sie mit dem
wassermischbaren Lein- oder Standöl in die richtige Konsistenz gebracht werden. Direkt aus der Tube verwendet, ist die Farbe zäh und läßt sich nur sehr
schwer auf den Druckstock aufbringen.
Drucken Sie auf guten Druckpapieren, wie Kupferdruck-, Ingres- oder Japanpapieren. Papiere mit glatten Oberflächen, wie Fotokarton oder Packpapier ist
für Artisan ungeeignet. Bevor Sie eine zweite Farbe drucken, den Druck einrahmen oder lagern, muß er vollständig angetrocknet sein (ca. 6 - 14 Tage, je
nach Temperatur und Lagerung kann auch eine längere Trocknungszeit möglich werden).
-------------------

A short translation:

You can use e.g. Artisan water mixable oil paints for linocut printing. Out of the tube they are too stiff, so you have to mix them with water-mixable linseed oil or "Standoel" (stand oil?) to bring it to an oily consistency (these are in the Artisan product line). Use good printing paper like Ingres, Japan or copper plate Paper. Smooth papers are less suitable. Before printing a second colour the print has to get completely dry, that lasts about 6-14 days, evtl. more.
-----------------------------------

--- a similar approach may work with ordinary oils as well. The Gerstaecker online magazine:
http://www.gerstaecker.de/temp_xmas/magazin.htm
http://www.gerstaecker.de/magazin/pdf.doku/artisan/alinol.pdf
(all in German)

cheers martin

kare
05-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Thanks!!
can i use the linsead oil to mix with oils when i want to paint normally on the canvas, but want my paint to spread further???

i've decided to pick up a small jar of lino-print ink.. i thought it would cost a fair amount, but gladly, it only costs $10 from the local art store.. still, i'd like to give oils a go!

ciarrai

Little Old Lady
05-09-2003, 08:58 PM
the soft lino blocks also work great with fabric paints. I have decorated a lot of clothes with them.
JoAnn