PDA

View Full Version : ****THE DAILY WASH****Friday, May 2, 2003****

artmom
05-02-2003, 01:08 AM
Good morning, world wide Washers! I just couldn't wait for those to the east to start the WASH.

Here is a pic of my granddaughter and me at her Senior Reception. She is home-schooled and the Home School Association's Craft Club hosts the Seniors at a very nice reception each year. Can't tell I'm proud of her, can you! LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2003/11722-Samantha_and_Me.jpg

Right now, I'm planning a project to paint her portrait, which will be the second attempt at painting my first portrait.:D

Hope everyone has whatever kind a day they would like today!

Lyn

Nandie
05-02-2003, 01:19 AM
Good morning Lyn! Nice pic - you have good reason to be proud!:)

It's actually bed-time for me but in the a.m. I hope to get my brushes wet..... I've sketched out an ocean scene that I'm anxious to get started on.

Coffee Girl, if you're lurking, please be sure to read the replies you got after you posted on yesterdays' Wash - not sure if you saw them yet! (((hugs))).

Have a great day everybody - I'm off to bed! **yawn** I'll check in later with my morning cuppa.

hopefulbucky
05-02-2003, 01:28 AM
Good morning to all of you, it is really still Thursday for me but I am always reading the wash on the tail end of everyone's day so I will post now for Friday and get a jump.

We had an absolutely gorgeous day here in Portland. Sun was shining warmly, my first rose bloomed, just took an evening walk and the stars were shining and everything smelled so springlike and beautiful.

I am still working on my 2nd WC painting which is kind of a country scene. In our class we work 6-8 weeks on a painting. Kind of slow going but it is fun and I am learning a lot. Now just have to find time to experiment on my own. Between working 40-50 hours a week it is kind of hard to find too much time but I am doing the research and plan to start shortly. Hopefully on smaller paintings (the ones we do in class are 16x20) so that I will be able to scan then and possibly post so I can get some of the generously offered help.

Thanks to all of you for helping me learn. I have already learned much. Put in the darks (a biggie) can see the reasoning.

You all of you have a wonderful Friday and hope it is sunny for you if not the weather than at least the day inside yourselves and happy painting.

:cool: (the sunglasses are for the sun that I hope shines tomorrow)

Judy

manwat
05-02-2003, 02:15 AM
Morning All,

Just got into work on a wet, wet, wet, wet, wet Friday morning. Supposed to be taking the wife away for the weekend; partly to celebrate out Wedding Anniversary and part to get our caravan ready for the summer [if it comes]. Can't see myself doing much painting this weekend.

Peter

Olga
05-02-2003, 02:18 AM
Good morning Lyn, Andrea, and Judy! Hello all!

Lyn-congratulations on your granddaughter's graduation.

Nandie--I am always double glad to hear you'll be painting again. Loking foward to seeing the results.

(((Sarah)))

Judy--I know how hard it is to find sojme time to paint when one works...

I have sketched out one of the Paris pictures and will try to paint it soon, but with my mom here I only get short stretches of time to paint.
After reading all the gardening stories here, my digging and planting seems extremely limited, but we went to a nursery yesterday and bought lots of impatients, geraniums, alyssum, etc to stick in our flower boxes. Fun to do and it looks nice.

Hope everyone has a great day

Olga

coffee_girl3000
05-02-2003, 02:49 AM
Very quick visit, thanks for all the nice messages yesterday on the Wash. School in a few minutes so must dash. Grey but bright weather here, hopefully will be sunnier later!

Have a pleasant day WCers

Phillip
05-02-2003, 02:51 AM
Good morning all early risers.

Although it is currently 5pm Friday afternoon here.

I hope your friday will be as good as mine.

Had some nice rain earlier on today. Birds are chirping & singing out side now. It's lovely.

andylavallee
05-02-2003, 02:53 AM
Good Morning all, its wet here!, infact its very wet, infact its chucking it down!!
Lyn smashing photo, nice to see you and your granddaughter.

Nandie its great to know your painting again, keep well.

Peter a hard standing may be in order this week-end, I dont think its finished yet!!

Judy I guess its a good idea to have a wash before we go to bed as well!.

Olga interesting way of gardening over there ! what glue do you use to STICK your plants in your flower boxes.

out for a town walking session this morning although I think it may be from the bus to the nearest cafe, thank-you all to those who wrote such nice comments about me yesterday (red faced).

really looking forward to seeing my son Mark on Sunday so I know I will have a nice week-end you all have one as well.

((Sarah)) somethings arn't nice, some arn't needed, but all of them are part of life . all part of the trip

madmum
05-02-2003, 02:55 AM
Morning washermen and women :D

Grotty morning here, raining (of course, bank holiday weekend!!)

Glad to see Doug is still keeping quiet about Wigan Pier classroom experience! I've uploaded 3 photos of a narrowboat on the canal there into the RIL. Could be good inspiration for a painting :) Think this is the best one:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2003/10535-Canal_boat_in_lock,_Wigan_2_small.jpg

Nice to "see" you Lyn :) That's certainly an adoring look.

Andrea, it's wonderful to know you're ready to paint again :)

Peter, take care, the weather really is filthy. Where do you keep the caravan?

Judy, sometimes slow and steady helps you get the information stored better. Even though I don't "work" I still find time runs away with me! Sometimes you just have to say "tomorrow I will paint, no matter what!" and stick to it :D

Olga, can't wait to see your Paris painting! Looked through your ref. images and there are some beauties :)

Hugs

Ruth

Yorky
05-02-2003, 04:38 AM
Morning all!

Tell them about the desks, Ruth :evil: :D

Weather a bit murky here - rained overnight, more expected.

You have a lovely granddaoughter, Lyn. Last night I received a 7Mb .avi movie of our first grandson Alexander. Magical! we had it looping continuously for 10 minutes :D

Judy, the blessing is that as you get more practice it becomes quicker. The small portraits I am doing take about an hour each, I can fit them in between eating and TV watching :D

My physio yesterday says I have a trapped nerve between my bottom vertebra and my pelvis, and only very gentle exercises and time will cure it. OUCH!

The portrait project is good fun. I've never done many prortraits, I though tracing was verboten, but I realise to get a likeness the important features and wrinkles need to be in the right place, so it is acceptable. I now realise that I could try some portraits of the family, so that's next.

Have a good painting day everyone!

Doug

ScarletLake
05-02-2003, 05:00 AM
Hi everyone

Almost 5 am here. Couldn't sleep so nice to have something to read on the wash.

Sounds like some are having a lot of rain. We got some last night & I don't know about today.

Planning on going to the painting group today around 10:30am & hoping to meet a local fellow WC today too. Amazing what this site has done for friendships being formed & art stories shared.

Lyn - Great Picture of you & granddaughter.

Nandie - Ocean scene sounds nice

Judy - Your class sounds nice. Hoping to sign up for a class myself soon.

Peter - Happy Anniversary to you & your wife.

Olga - Enjoy your visit with your mom.

Sarah-These are tough times for your family but you will come out of it in the end.

Phillip - Had a great walk in the park yesterday & saw lots of fat little robins hopping about.

Andy - Enjoy your visit with your son.

Ruth - Great pic of the canal boat.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Anita J.

painterbear
05-02-2003, 05:38 AM
Hi All,

It is only 5:30 a.m. here in Ohio. Friday is just beginning for us. It is always interesting to open the Daily Wash and see where different people are in their day or evening.

Too many people to reply to individually so I'll just say hope all who were ailing are getting better and picking up their brushes again.

Finding time for painting can be difficult, even for those of us who don't have jobs outside the home. However, if you can manage to add a few strokes to a painting here and there, snatching 15 or 20 minutes at a time, that helps keep you in practice. I do find that painting 5"x7" postcard-size paintings makes it easier to finish in a limited amount of time. The challenge there is to find a subject that is not too complicated or to zero in on a limited part of a larger composition.

I finished my swans yesterday, so when I am done looking here at all the new postings, I will have to go to the RIL favorites I've compiled and find a subject for my next painting. I have 4 more paintings to go until I've finished the project.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day and has the opportunity to paint something they really feel happy with.

See you later.

Sharon Douglas
05-02-2003, 06:12 AM
good morning everyone,
I`m just here to say a quick hello and wish everyone well for the weekend ahead.
I have to get ready soon for my hospital appointment soon so I won`t be around this afternoon.
Lucky me !:rolleyes: it`s teaming down with rain and really cold and miserable, and I have to go to the rotten hospital, I`d much rather be at home painting.:crying:
I had a fiddle with my Bamburgh Castle painting, when I`ve finished here I will post it , I hope it works better now.
Ruth, me thinks Doug is trying to wind you up.......lol.....Have you planned your revenge yet?:evil:
Sarah, bear with it, I know it`s hard at the moment (my parents split when I was 10yo) it will get easier, and things will calm down eventually.
Take comfort in the thoughts that we are all here for you and we`ve got lots of shoulders to cry on if you need them, and don`t worry about using up all the wash with your probems, I for one don`t mind, I`ve done it plenty of times myself:rolleyes: .
Nandie good to see you painting again I`ll look forward to seeing the end result.
Anyway I must go now, to get my bath etc ready for my appointment. me luck:(
Sharon.

Sharon Douglas
05-02-2003, 06:16 AM
OOps, I got the cats horribly wrong:rolleyes:
I`ll have to sort that out later, I don`t have time now:D
Sorry:angel:
Sharon.

CharM
05-02-2003, 06:24 AM
Good morning Washuns!

The forum is busy already this morning! Too many people to respond to individually...

We enjoyed blessed rain for the second night here in Southern Ontario! Everything is wet and the most beautiful shade of spring green!!!

The pics are great!

...hope the day finds everyone feeling a little better... For those who aren't, my thoughts and best wishes are with you... especially to Sharon...

Have a great day everyone!

Uschi
05-02-2003, 08:25 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!!!

Soo many posts already and it is only 8:30 a.m. here and by the time I finished typing this there will surely be more!!

Lyn - lovely photo of you and your granddaughter!! Beautiful young woman and must say that your fancy cane caught my eye too HA!

Sharon, that kitty is beautiful!!!

Olga, looking forward to your paining!! I too used to have flower boxes as a garden, then 5 years ago bought the house, created a wonderful garden, dug my own pond (out of solid clay!!!!) and then promptly got arthritis in the hip and the garden is almost too much work now.

As Char mentioned, rained again in Southern Ontario, not at all complaining, so might be a bit too wet to plug away at the digging.

So, have no idea what I will do today. It's funny, but once the gardening season starts my painting almost ends until Fall. I think it is a psychological thing about not wanting to be inside.
Have a great day!!!!
Uschi

Strawberry Wine
05-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Goo Day to all washers and good afternoon and evening too.

It is cloudy here and we had some rain overnight. Hope it clears today and stays sunny for the weekend. Dan had the tires replaced on the lawn tractor this past week, which is a good thing, because I am sure we will be giving the grass its first cut of the season very soon.

I worked on Lyn Cyr's portrait yesterday and still can't seem to get it to work, I will post it later and see if anyone has any suggestions. So in frustration, I painted Al 22, which went very well until I got to eyes and glasses. All in all, I was quite happy with it so posted in the thread.

I have household chores to get done today and then I will paint.

Sharon Good luck at your hospital visit and hoping you get some good news today.

Andrea: Glad to hear that you are feeling well enough to paint.

Lyn : Lovely pic of you and grand daughter. You should be very proud.

Sarah: ((((( Hugs))))) to you and as everyone has said " we are here for you if and when you need us.

To everyone else that I missed , have a good day what ever you decide to do.

Gail

Nitsa
05-02-2003, 08:36 AM
What a day I am having! :D

First I go to my local framers to order some mounts and he sells me a huge box of them for 5, some are a little bent but there are so many in there I KNOW I deffo have my moneys worth about 10 times over!
I get home to find that there is a mount in the box, the exact size I needed for a floral I did a while back! :)
Pop out to my laundry room for the washing to find my order from Ken Bromleys art store has arrived, the Bockingford tinted paper looks dreamy!...Should make for a challenge!
Then I come online to find WC have awarded me a Community Leadership Medal.

WOW! I am exhasted with smiling!

Sorry if some of you are not having an especially good day but I had to gloat a little.......Your turn tommorrow!;)

JustjoGA
05-02-2003, 08:45 AM
Already late in the day for many of the Washees... but I just wanted to say good morning/good day to all... Nice to see that our Watercolor forum is still one of if not THE busiest... Shalom...
Jo

Little Old Lady
05-02-2003, 09:34 AM
Good whatever! Cloudy and cool here. Could use some of the that rain down here. Grass abd brush fires are a danger.
Great goings on here.
The best to you all!
JoAnn

jaytee
05-02-2003, 09:41 AM
HI Everyone........... I think we need a new abbreviation.......TOMRINOMY = Too Many to Respond to Individually No Offence if I Miss You :D

That said.......... from yesterday *writing champagne contract for JT Pam......... just as long as you come over and collect it, Ill sign (almost) any contract you like :D :D :D

From Today.......... Sharon. hope alls going well at hospital as i Type

Lyn good to see you and grandaughter

Peter........... but weve had summer........... 2 weeks ago.... didnt you notice ;)

Ruth.............. great barge pic................. was gooing to suggest it as a challenge entry till I noticed all the grass :D

doug..... Ouch

Everyone ............. be happy

I spent a lot of thismorning watching the birds especially the blue tits who were pecking hair off of one of the dogs mutilated soft toys to nest with ............ too far off for photo :(

Christie
05-02-2003, 09:56 AM
Good Day to everyone!

I like the acronym, but probably won't be able to remember it without crib notes. :) So, I hope everyone who is under the weather is doing better and that those of you with rain send some our way. :D

It's a lovely day here and I am going to get the painting I had planned for yesterday done today. Yesterday I had an allergic reaction to something and couldn't see etc. Much better now, but it was pretty tough to paint during the "episode". :D

Given that it is Friday, the kids are excited about the coming weekend and won't stop chattering... :D It sounds like I am in an aviary with a ton of sparrows! :D Fortunately, two of them are off to school soon, so the din will quiet then. Have you ever noticed that children talk to themselves a lot?

Weather is supposed to close in on the weekend (likely snow again on Sunday), so there will be lots of opportunity to paint then too.

Okay, I am off to train the puppy and get the kids to the bus stop.

lynn_cyr
05-02-2003, 10:07 AM
I miss the wash!!! :crying: :crying:

I've been away from these boards for far too long... just been so busy with everything going on, from some sudden work from clients, to working out all the details from my car accident last week. ARGH!! I just want my life to get back to normal again so I can set aside some time for painting ;)

On a good note, my little brother, who now lives in California, is planning a visit to Toronto with his wife and new baby to visit my parents and sister! Needless to say I'll be driving up too! The plan is for end of May/beginning of June somtetime. The whole SARS thing is a bit scary, but I'm not letting it ruin my vacation! ;) The baby is only 8 months old, and no one has seen him yet! It should be very exciting!!

I'm also planning a day trip to Boston on Monday, if it's nice. I only live about 45 minutes away, but I still rarely go. There's this HUGE art supply store there that I've never been to, so I'm excited. Plus, it will be a good ref. pic day for me while I'm there!

Back is killing me today; I think it's still residual from the accident. I hope this doesn't last for too much longer? :rolleyes:

Have a great, happy day to everyone!! :) :)

Lynn

jaytee
Originally posted by Christie
Good Day to everyone!

I like the acronym, but probably won't be able to remember it without crib notes. :)

Dont worry, Ive forgotten it already :D :D

Have you ever noticed that children talk to themselves a lot?

NOt just children ;);)

Glad youve recovered from that allergic reaction......... tough you dont no what caused it..... makes it difficult to avoid again :(

artmom
TOMRINOMY--That's great--I'll have to make a macro of that--if I can remember how!!! LOL

Lyn

PS: Sorry, there are TOMRINOMY!!! Glad to see you all online!!!

Lyn

jaytee
05-02-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by artmom
TOMRINOMY--That's great--I'll have to make a macro of that--if I can remember how!!! LOL

Lyn

PS: Sorry, there are TOMRINOMY!!! Glad to see you all online!!!

Lyn

Perhaps we should shorten it to TMR and take the rest as read :D

PS TMR also stands for too many to remember :evil: :evil:

Marvin.. meant to say.........GO, LAD,GO ;) :D

lyn lynch
05-02-2003, 10:12 AM
Morning, OL. Granddaughter nice achievement , congrats! Good plan to paint her, she will enjoy result of ambitious project.

Morning, Nandie, expect that you are feeling better. Yes, we all love our Sarah, she has strong character in addition to art skill.

Good luck, Judy, on keeping sun in Portland. In a month I will send you lots. :( Sounds like you have a productive class.

Peter, nice to see another smiling face in the Wash. Summer will come, whether wanted or not. LOL, speaking from the desert where we stay over 110F for months. Hope to get away for a bit this summer.

Olga, hope some of those new flowfees are purple [and that mum starts entertaining herself.

Hi, Sarah!! Have a pleasant day, dearheart.

Hi, Anita, Sharon, Char, Gail, Nitsa, Jo, JoAnne, and all washers to come, including Our Pamps.

Interesting how portrait exchangers all feel they are getting better with each portrait entry. I, however, get wierder. I think I start billing myself as "Interpretive Watercolor Portrait from The Odd One". I realize that I do not enjoy painting realism; I, like our Sarah, had too much, too many, too soon, and too prolonged. Strange how I just realize this, might even be able to paint a tree. LOL.

I have too busy day, and will be gone most of it. Give Shim a new bone to keep him occupied and then to doggie park when I get home. Since getting doggie my life appears nothing but endless round of doggie park runs. If I have time, and being as I am downtown, I try to stop at a 2nd hand bookstore still looking for the Reid portrait book.

Have good day. Auntie.

artmom
05-02-2003, 10:19 AM
Thanks, Fookie.

Jaytee--YES! TMR--works for me!!!:D

Lyn

artmom
05-02-2003, 10:28 AM
I've copied Marvin Chew's post from yesterday's The Daily Wash, as he posted it this morning.

Here's his post:

Hi everyone,

Just came back from the meeting with mural client. Changed part of my design... they like the first sketch better.. as they want more depth... took out the pillars, replaced with bricks surronding the window...etc.

I don't know if this is great news or not...after all this... we agreed on a lower price which I can still live with... 20% discount!

But I only agreed when they offered to provide a little space in their shop where I can display some prints and small paintings (But cater for the younger generations... ) They suggested I put my service for commissioned portraits painting, but I said I can't do likeness of portrait very well)... I guess now I have a reason to join the portrait project now. I suggested commissioning pet & animal paintings and they like the idea....

I guess that's what they say about give and take. Will start painting mural on May 14th... shop opening on 20th... hope I can make it!

and guess what... since I'm free next week... I'm gonna use one of the walls near our dinning area as "guinea pig"... lol

Marvin Chew

Lyn:)

Bill J
05-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Lyn,
congratulations tomyour grandaughter. I finally learned how to upload-thanks 4 the help.

Pampe- the books r great stayed up late last night reading/studying

Things are getting hot here in South West Florida --80 deg at 7:30 am. We are packing to head north next week for the summer--pack, pack, pack. lol

bill

pampe
05-02-2003, 10:44 AM
morning, too many to respond to individually

Bill...glad you got them before you left

JT...I wish...we had planned a European trip this Fall...but the economy is killing us....and when travel is cheaper, that's not FAIR!!!:mad:

Doug...if that's the nerve, YOGA would help.....*just a little nag*

Busy day....Auxialiary meeting and theen golf with the hubby

NO PAINT DAY

F
Tried to fix an old watercolor that didn't quite work with pastel...what do you think?

watercolor:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2003/4054-lavender.jpg

cropped and pastel added:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2003/4054-lavender1.jpg

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend!!

jkook
05-02-2003, 10:53 AM
Wow, TMR is appropriate ! I have been out of touch for the last 3 weeks but I'm back .
I just attended a 3 day WC workshop with the local art league. My first ! It was done by a local east TX artist by the name of Howard Howard from Uncertain Tx. No I'm not kidding
:D He was great.
He teaches by doing demo's and thinking out loud . Howards style is unique , he is what I would call an impressionist who uses abstract under paintings ? Very different and impressive. Here is one of the demo's he did.
A full sheet painted with a three inch brush ! All done wet in wet in about 2 hrs.
Sorry some of the painting is missing . I need to get better with a camera.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2003/18253-demo.JPG

Well I hope all that are not feeling well get better .
Jim

mchew
05-02-2003, 11:22 AM
Silly me... posted the whole thing on yesterday's wash..

Hi everyone,

Just came back from the meeting with mural client. Changed part of my design... they like the first sketch better.. as they want more depth... took out the pillars, replaced with bricks surronding the window...etc.

I don't know if this is great news or not...after all this... we agreed on a lower price which I can still live with... 20% discount!

But I only agreed when they offered to provide a little space in their shop where I can display some prints and small paintings (But cater for the younger generations... ) They suggested I put my service for commissioned portraits painting, but I said I can't do likeness of portrait very well)... I guess now I have a reason to join the portrait project now. I suggested commissioning pet & animal paintings and they like the idea....

I guess that's what they say about give and take. Will start painting mural on May 14th... shop opening on 20th... hope I can make it!

and guess what... since I'm free next week... I'm gonna use one of the walls near our dinning area as "guinea pig"... lol

ranunkel
05-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Hi
I am back from vacation ! I think it's been over two weeks since I was here last.

I took a photo I wanted to share it is uploaded to WC !

I have 3 watercolors send to a censored exhibition. Tomorrow I will know if they are accepted or not and I will have comments from the hanging committee.

Christie
05-02-2003, 01:59 PM
Doug, yoga is a great exercise because it can be as gentle as you need it to be.

I have links that I can provide i you are interested..

I hope that your back feels better soon.

artmom
05-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Nandie, Olga, Andy, Ruth, Doug, Anita, Gail, jaytee,Fookie,Bill--thanks to you for mentioning my pic of Samantha Lyn (notice she is named after me--puffs out chest with pride) and me!

Uschi, there is a story behind that cane--it is acrylic with slivers of ribbon in every color of the rainbow (and then some).

When it became necessary for me to use a cane, my husband knew I wouldn't be happy with any old cane--so he surfed the net until he found these canes. The Queen Mother had one, Elizabeth Taylor has one, and so does Joan Rivers (but who cares about her LOL). The insert in the hollow cane is called a "flower" and you can color match it to your outfits. So Ed had them do a multi-color one with lots of purple and turquoise, my two favorite colors. At a later date, we can purchase a new "flower" and replace the one that is in there. I love it and get lots of compliments on it. Isn't he just the sweetest man?? LOL w/joy!

TMR

BTW, everyone's pics are nice!

Lyn

jaytee
05-02-2003, 07:41 PM
Lyn................ love your cane story............ and your cane.. noticed it in the first pic......... perhaps we should get Doug one........and its certainly prettier than the boring old wooden one I use when my sciatic nerve strikes:D Ed sounds lovely. Want to lend him out :evil: :evil:

pampe
05-02-2003, 09:57 PM
*thinking I'll have to start carving Doug a fancy cane so he can show off in MT*

taghera
05-02-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by pampe
*thinking I'll have to start carving Doug a fancy cane so he can show off in MT*

Well he is approaching that age Pam...LOL...:D :D :D :evil: :evil:

pampe
05-02-2003, 10:31 PM
and

HE is coming to PAMPEland, old souse

Aren't you jealous???????:evil: :evil:

taghera
05-03-2003, 01:04 AM

Aren't you jealous???????:evil: :evil:

YES!!!! :D :D

Lulu
05-03-2003, 01:56 AM
morning, too many to respond to individually

JT...I wish...we had planned a European trip this Fall...but the economy is killing us....and when travel is cheaper, that's not FAIR!!!:mad:

You get double your dollar in NZ Pam:) ......... and I like your w/c turned pastel too.