PDA

View Full Version : Self Portrait

Atrsy
05-01-2003, 11:37 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-01-2003/21287_Carol_pencil_drawing.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Self Portrait
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 14 x 16 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This portrait was inspired by the portraits posted by Imaginee. I usually work in watercolor or watercolor pencils, but I was so intriqued by the lifelike look that Linda achieves in her pencil portraits

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would like some feedback as to whether my shading is adaquate because, believe it or not, I used only a Papermate mechanical pencil for this. The blending was done with a Qtip.

bocote
05-02-2003, 01:15 AM
considering you are using a mechanical pencil with prolly a HB or similar lead its pretty good contrast speaking. If you were to use a 4b or softer I bet you'd be much happier with your lights/darks.

nice stuff and a good work of yourself.

have fun,

bocote

elledeegee
05-02-2003, 04:16 AM
Actually I can draw... just haven't done it since HS art classes. *grins* Never got close to anything like your self portrait though. I really like it. :) Very natural.

This site and a few other things are making me want to go out and draw w/o using the pc...

~L~

Atrsy
05-02-2003, 11:58 PM
Thanks Boycote and elledeegee for looking and commenting.

Boycote, I think that the lead in my pencil was actually a 2B. I was surprised at the darkness I could get from it. I did hit a few spots like the eyes and some areas in the hair with a 4B, but most of it was just done with the mechanical pencil.

I usually draw with the side of the pencil point so that I get subtle shading, but I found that this pencil was soft enough that I could use the point and then just blend it a little to soften the edges.

I'm glad you liked this. It is reassuring to know that other artists think your work is OK.

Atrsy

KingCrimson
05-03-2003, 12:25 AM
Atrsy,you kidding me,this is great!:clap: I'd love to see a larger
pic though.Really good!

artbabe21
05-03-2003, 10:57 AM
outstanding portrait...works for me you very pretty lady!

Atrsy
05-03-2003, 06:25 PM
Thanks you Cathleen.

I have already finished a pencil drawing of my husband and one daughter and I have one almost finished of my son. My other daughter just dropped off a photo of herself this afternoon and it will be next.

I have had so much fun doing these pencil drawings. I can really get a likeness with them.

If I figure out how to post them again, I will post the others once I get photos taken and get my cd at Walmart.

Atrsy.