PDA

View Full Version : Inspired by New Member WIP

mccab42
05-01-2003, 10:54 PM
Yesterday, I saw a post by a new WC member, Jaef (Welcome to WC!) and got inspired. Jaef posted a wonderful painting that had a Kinkade like style. I personally like Thomas Kinkade's work, so does my wife. Coupled with a post regarding learning from master artists and Jaef's great painting, I tried one of Kinkade's for a learning experience and found you can accomplish an oil style with watercolor! Here's the first installment (two more to come) of Kinkade's Victorian Garden.

BTW I flew solo on this painting as well (no color coach).

Thanks for viewing, comments and critiques! Special thanks to new member Jaef ( I was truly inspired by your painting).

Skip

19.5 x 26.5 cm or 7 3/4" X 10 1/4" Watercolor and Gouache on 140# cold press Strathmore

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/15963-Kinkade_Garden_Gate_1.jpg

mccab42
05-01-2003, 10:58 PM
Here's the second step (sky and middle ground). I will next post the finished product. Sorry my computer crashed and I wanted to continue so there is no interim step between this step and the end-product.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/15963-Kinkade_Garden_Gate_2.jpg

mccab42
05-01-2003, 11:02 PM
I couldn't wait for the computer to scan disk and restart so I just kept painting! Here's the final stage. Again, sorry for the lack of steps in between. Please review the colors. I didn't have my color consultant so the WC family gets a crack at it. Thanks again!

Skip

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/15963-Kinkade_Garden_Gate_3.jpg

sweetbabydill
05-01-2003, 11:13 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I love the colors. This painting is alive and vibrant. Love it!
Carolyn

Phillip
05-02-2003, 12:04 AM
Very nice painting.

Great composition, & colors.

I like the softer colors at the background, puts more depth into the painting.

The flowers look gorgeous.

I have no critique for this one.

Well done.

mccab42
05-02-2003, 12:16 AM
Carolyn and Phillip...thanks for your kind words. Phillip, I have Thomas Kinkade to thank for the composition. I would post his version but I don't want to get into any copyright issues. You can visit his web site though, http://www.thomaskinkade.com/. On the main page in the search engine type in Victorian Garden and it will take your to Kinkade's original. I wished I could say mine was as good!

Thanks again!

MKathleen
05-02-2003, 12:32 AM
Hi Skip--very nice the combination of gouache opaque watercolor and watercolor works well together. Good Job!
Best,
Kathy:)

Yorky
05-02-2003, 04:19 AM
Lovely painting, Skip.

Which parts are in gouache? I would have trouble getting all those darks in pure watercolous.

Doug

CharM
05-02-2003, 06:40 AM
Nice exercise Skip! It DOES have a Kinkade feel to it!! Your colour is on the money and looks great!

babybrush
05-02-2003, 08:44 AM
it is really amazing that you did this color blind. it looks great!! the yellow seems a bit harsh, but that is all i see to mention. great job!!!

Bethany

Uschi
05-02-2003, 09:09 AM
It's quite wonderful!!!!
Uschi

Little Old Lady
05-02-2003, 09:51 AM
Lovely painting. I like this even though I am not a Kinkaiide fan.
JoAnn

mccab42
05-02-2003, 09:54 AM
Thank you all for your comments. Char, I hope to continue going solo on the color (though I value my wife's color input!). It's those nuances in color that get me into trouble.

Yorky...the whites are white gouache and for the yellow and purple flowers I laid down white gouache as a foundation and painted over with the appropriate watercolor. The sky and middle ground are strictly watercolor. Lightsource is a mix of white gouache and lemon yellow watercolor. If you visit the Kinkade web site and check out the original you'll see that the wall is brick. I chickened out in attemping to reproduce the mortar lines.

Bethany...I agree on the harshness especially in the right column. If I get a chance during lunch break today, I'll tone it down with a light wash of white gouache and fill-in with a wash for the shadow.

Thanks again!
Skip