PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Falls Version 2

Jprice022
05-01-2003, 10:38 PM
Hi all

This one is 7 1/2 x 9 1/2 inches on WN Rough.

I posted a smaller study of this a while back if it looks familar to you.

Please critique.

Thanks.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/3262-Picture_1317LtSM.jpg

tigre255
05-01-2003, 11:40 PM
Very nice John.....I like this alot....like those colours you used for the background trees (very nice indeed) and your rocks and water are really nicely rendered........

All in all the whole painting is well done.......good job:clap: :clap: :clap:

CharM
05-02-2003, 06:45 AM
John, this turned out beautifully... The rocks read as sandstone (on my monitor) and are shadowed very nicely in the foreground water! Your foreground foliage is EXCELLENT!!! I'm having a bit of a problem with the depth of the picture though... It could be that the trees in the distance are so strong and dark...

Jprice022
05-02-2003, 12:37 PM
Thanks for your kind comments Tigre255

CharM- I had been thinking about the distant trees and tend to agree with you. Maybe I shoulc lift some color out of them.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

artmom
05-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Very nice colors--I agree with CharM about softening the line of trees in the distance.

IMO, just a little more dark at the base of the falling water would
also allow your lower water to "lie" down.

Lyn

karenboss
05-02-2003, 01:24 PM
yes, usually there's a pool b4 a water fall - the waterfall presents a ridged line that (unfortunately hits at the very center) somwhat invites the eye off the page.

love your color pallett the purple & orange/rust are great compliments.

nice peice, John

Jprice022
05-02-2003, 11:14 PM
Artmom- in my reference photo the water at the bottom of the 'fall' was quite churned up. Are you speaking of adding dark spots rather than darkening all of the water?

Karenboss- maybe the water before the fall should be darker. Is that what you had in mind.

Thanks for commenting.

karenboss
05-02-2003, 11:26 PM
Hi John - sometimes I look at a ref photo, or life for that matter and I think, geez, it would never look real if I tried to paint it that way! Sounds like that might be what you have. That is what I was thinking, a little darker near the (top) of the falls, maybe a little shape to it.

but, really you have a lovely rendering & please don't take advise that doesn't sit square with your vision, it's beautiful the way it is!

lyn lynch
05-03-2003, 12:55 AM
Hi, John,
I lovin' the birches and the colored foilage of the b/g trees.
I bit more blue motion at fall's end might be an , like in the shadows created by the rocks. I am unsure if needed in the gathering pool; this is very small falls.
I wonder if some darks, i.e., with touches to appear black in the rocks might add more depth to them.
Maybe that Al will grace us w/his presence and educate us if we are all wet. LOL
Very nice, though and I could not do it.

artmom
05-03-2003, 01:01 AM
Right. Don't darken all the water, just some. It may be fine in real life, it just looks kind of white and flat on my monitor, not churned up. Use your own judgement of what you are trying to achieve.

Lyn

moo67
05-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Jprice022
Hi all

This one is 7 1/2 x 9 1/2 inches on WN Rough.

I posted a smaller study of this a while back if it looks familar to you.

Please critique.

Thanks.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/3262-Picture_1317LtSM.jpg

John i love the colours you have used in this piece they are bold and dramatic and produce an interesting effect with the softness and serenity in it. The one problem is the water to me the edge of the water fall seems to look like a wavw falling backwards at the top edge.I think the suggestions about adding some depth to the bottom of the waterfall will help to correct that.Really beautiful work.
Moo:clap: :clap: :clap:

capricorne
05-03-2003, 02:46 PM
Nice painting, the rock shadow in the water is great!
Jan