PDA

View Full Version : Chinese fishes

stewy2
05-01-2003, 10:37 PM
5x7 140lb student grade paints
total time painting about 5 minutes...I love the Chinese minimalist approach. I just hope that my attempt to write the character for fish in the lower left corner does not offend anyone who actually knows how to write in Chinese. Please critique!
Karl

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/18719-ks1005.jpg

mchew
05-01-2003, 11:03 PM
Hi Karl,

Beautiful fishes.... looks like you paint this effortlessly. That's the wonders of Chinese painting... a few strokes and you have it! I've just started to play with Chinese ink too

Hope you don't mind but I manipulated your calligraphy of the word "Fish" in photoshop. there're just one stroke missing in the middle and another stroke is over and above the line.... but I could still recognise the word.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/14541-18719-ks1005a.jpg

There are now two forms of Chinese word... one is traditional and the other is simplified. As far as I know, only Hong Kong and Taiwan are still using the traditional type.... the rest of the world including China has been using the simplified version since the 1980s.

This is the traditional version (and may I add more artistic version) word for fish.. note that the 4 dots are replaced by one horizontal line in the simplified version.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/14541-fish.jpg

ptantono
05-01-2003, 11:30 PM
Beautiful fishes. I really like your gold fishes. I am not offended at all as I dont know much calligraphy but Marin writes very good Chinese calligraphy. It is very difficult.

CharM
05-02-2003, 06:48 AM
Well done, well done!!! Isn't it wonderful that this is a Global forum and someone was able to help with your calligraphy? :clap: :clap:

Crystal Owl
05-02-2003, 08:07 AM
Nice job Karl your fish look great :)

Irene

stewy2
05-02-2003, 08:09 AM
Thank you everyone. I was really worried about the calligraphy (I had forgotten how generous this forum is). It appears that calligraphy would be a field of study all by itself. Once again thank you for the help. I will be painting this one several times I think. Should I post new attempts?

painterbear
05-02-2003, 05:01 PM
Very nice Chinese-style fish. So much is said with just a few lines and simple colors.

Since you are planning to paint this again, IMHO, the bottom fish's body looks a little truncated for the size of his head. I know part of that is the angle he is shown at, but I think his body could be slightly longer.

pampe
05-02-2003, 05:24 PM
simply lovely

and lovingly simple

aren't we lucky to have Marvin here to help us with our calligraphy! :)

stewy2
05-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Yes we are lucky to have Marvin. I checked out his web page and can only hope to be that good one day. Sylvia, As soon as the first stroke was done on the lower fish I knew it was too short but by that time I was committed. That is one reason I want to try again. There is no sketch just the brush work so it will probably turn out totaly different this time.

Thanks
Karl

Little Old Lady
05-02-2003, 08:24 PM
Less is more! Like it a lot.
JoAnn

artsduo
05-02-2003, 08:32 PM
Nicely painted...enjoyable watercolor!

Marcia