PDA

View Full Version : Plein air oil pastel

Sueb
05-01-2003, 05:46 PM
9x12 Art Spectrum greyish color, oil pastel

Hi Guys, I've been busy with my classes and not much time to post. Today though, I ventured out for my first plein air op. This was painted while sitting on a bench. Next time I will take an easel. Had great fun for about an hour and 15 minutes. I'm not sure, being a plein air if I should try to polish/finish this off in studio or leave as is. Since it's my first op plein air, I feel inclined to leave as is. I'm going to cross post in plein air. What do you think?

Sue

Redsy333
05-01-2003, 05:54 PM
Well I dont have any advice, not a landscapey..or is that escapey..lol but the colors are EXCELLENT! I think its super!!
Keep up the wonderful work!

Mo.
05-01-2003, 06:08 PM
Hi Sue :) ...how are those classes going? Good to see you posting again. how about using the uploader next time you post so we can see your work as we type. :)

Your first plein aire hey? Looks like you thoroughly enjoyed it, it's turned out really lovely...are they rhododendrum bushes?

I was doing plein aire today too....photographing rhododendrum flowers whilst dog walking. :) Those flowers are so beautiful.

Super work Sue.

cheers,
Mo.

Dima
05-01-2003, 06:28 PM
What a wonderful scene, Sue.
So full of colour and joy.
As i understand it most plein air painters will do some polishing and finishing touches at home or in their studios.

Dick

mhimeswc
05-01-2003, 06:28 PM
Nice job!!! This is a great time to paint the flowering trees and bushes. I'm too new at pastels to do landscapes plein air, but I've done it many times in watercolor. It's such a good feeling being outdoors with your painting supplies. That's when I really feel like an artist. I hope you get to do lots more of them.

Michelle

Sueb
05-01-2003, 06:35 PM
Redsey, Mo, Thanks for your kind comments. You both are sources on inspiration for me...I probably don't say so often enough.

Mo, I'll try to figure the uploader out next time. It took me forever to figure out out to post the other way. Not so computer literate am I. My classes have been going great. Thanks for asking. I just finished my last oil pastel class and plan to join back in July if my two buddies haven't filled my spot with someone else. My oil class started Wednesday and I want to devote all of my class energy to just one class this time. I will still be doing the op's (I love them) but I was taking too many classes this winter and therefore felt stretched way to thin. I never expected to embrace the op like I have but it's been very exciting and lends itself very well to plein air. (another interest of mine) I have been following your progress with the op's and you are really doing great! The garden scene with the bench was awesome. Can't remember if I said so before.

Thanks for looking.

Sue

bnoonan
05-01-2003, 07:44 PM
Beautiful work Sue - enjoy the outdoor painting. It's fun and challenging I've discovered.

Barb

BTDogMom
05-02-2003, 01:24 PM
U create such beautiful things Sue!!! This is beautiful!!!

butterfly
05-02-2003, 06:25 PM
This really is lovely and very seasonal ... I especially like the highlighted colors on the tree trunks that reflect the color of the blooming flowers and bushes ... excellent!

Butterfly/Roni