PDA

View Full Version : Wip - Short Eared Owl

mcassatt
03-15-2012, 01:10 PM
I stopped painting, need some advice. What's next? Any suggestions.:angel: :confused:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2012/955906-DSCN5076.JPG

Barb'sArt
03-15-2012, 01:33 PM
I think it is a lovely loose style!
You didn't mention which medium, appears to be maybe Oils or Acrylics?
As to suggestions, I would like to see a bit of blurred trees or some sort of foliage in the distant left(viewer's), as I think there is too much negative space there.
I also think that establishing a clearer light source(it would appear yours is coming from the viewer's right), would help you continue on this other wise lovely piece. You could increase shadows both on the Owl, and well as the fence. If you would darken the chest/body area where it meets the bg, would help give the body more form.
Just my very humble opinions. I like where you are going with this, with a bit more tweaking, it can be taken to another level.

mcassatt
03-15-2012, 02:42 PM
"taken to another level.", I'd like that. Good ideas, Barb, and btw, it's done in oils, sorry, forgot to mention. Thanks for your help, I hope I can take this to another level.

KarenESP
03-15-2012, 02:59 PM
I like it, it has a whimsical note to it - a peice that's really fun to look at (: Great job!

mcassatt
03-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Thank you, Karen, I like your Tigers and especially the Cheetah you've done.

nickib
03-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Barb I think has some great suggestions. I love the owl!!! He is kind of looking with one raised brow like an owl would. I also like all the colors you used on him:clap::clap:Nicki

KarenESP
03-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks mcassatt! Your fence is awesome. I so struggle with those types of details.

mcassatt
03-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Thanks, Nicki, I like your oils on your website, especially, Olivia, what great eyes.