PDA

View Full Version : save?

pampe
05-01-2003, 11:21 AM
so I had this watercolor that bugged me.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/4054-lavender.jpg

and I hated it....

I decided to add pastel today to see if I could redeem it

Please comment and critique:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/4054-lavender1.jpg

thanks
Pam

Luvy
05-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Pampe Looking good. Only thing that really bothers me is the grass going straight up to the building. Seems like it should have some break in front of it Or maybe a haywagon *S* Or just dirt in between the buildings and grass. What kind of crops are these. The pastels have helped alot Keep going

Dark_Shades
05-01-2003, 12:15 PM
I take it the top one is just the watercolour? ........ I dont know if its just your scan/photo.... but the angle is running down to the right.......

but as for the pastel....... ohhhhhh thats lovely, wonderful colours..... great..... and love the close up crop too .... I am hoping thats your scan/photo..... as thats running slightly to the left lol .... sorry pampe

..... but besides that...... love it :clap: ..... love those colours

mhimeswc
05-01-2003, 12:48 PM
The extra texture that you put in with pastel helped a lot. Did you actually crop the painting, or just zoom in for a more closeup look in your scan. I like the cropped look better too.

I have lots of watercolors that need some first aid, and some of them could probably benefit from pastels as soon as I learn enough to know what I am doing.

Michelle

mpopinz
05-01-2003, 01:04 PM
The 2nd shot looks much more vibrant. I like the texture in the grass & rooftops really makes the painting stand out.

Seems now that the depth has been changed, and that is neat too.

It now looks finished.

jackiesimmonds
05-01-2003, 01:17 PM
The added pastel certainly adds texture and livens things up a bit. However ... what is the title of this pic? Is it about the foreground, which is very dominant because of the harshness of the diagonals, or is it about the buildings? Seems to me there is a bit of a battle going on between the two.

If you crop off some of the bottom of the pic, the buildings take on more importance and the divisions of the rectangle are more comfortable. That could be one solution. However,another time, you might find it better to stand a little off to one side, so that the composition is a bit easier on the eye. At the moment, we positively ZOOM along those sharp angles, right from the bottom corners, at 100 miles an hour, into the centre of the rectangle, where because of the speed, we then crash into the building!! Pity really, cos it is gorgeous colours.

pampe
05-01-2003, 02:42 PM
thanks, Luvy...supposed to be lavender fields

DS..it's the photographer:rolleyes:

Michelle, I plan to crop it in....it is just too wide and empty the other way.

thanks, mpop

Jackie, thanks for stopping in....title is LAVENDER FIELDS

I'll think about the bottom crop...what about something to stop the ZOOM...like a person?

Doogun
05-02-2003, 12:23 AM
Pam,
I really like the look after the pastels. Nothing like those trusty pastels to liven things up.
Larry

christmascarolnz
05-02-2003, 02:25 AM
Pam, I am not a landscape artist, but your painting is vibrant and a welcome change to what I'm staring at on my easel at the moment...
I really like it.
Regards,
Carol

pampe
05-02-2003, 02:22 PM
thanks, Larry....I think you are right

Carol....keep going

christmascarolnz
05-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Pampe...thanx for the encouragement. I do a little bit of it each night...it's a soldier in Iraq, so the colours are browns & green - hence getting a break when I see your oranges & purples.
Cheers,
Carol

sundiver
05-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Pam, something you excel at is the way you use vibrant color. In this case, however, imo, the reddish colors overpower the lavenders.
Hope it's ok, couldn't resist playing with it digitally. I put a soft lavender wash over the building, the hill , even the dark trees, and the dirt between the rows. I also scattered some lavender across the rows to emphasize the curve of the mound of lavender. Then I cropped it so the round building wouldn't be dead centre.
Maybe it's too dull for your liking, but I always think of lavender as being soft and delicate-looking.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2003/6393-4054-lavender1.jpg
It must smell heavenly there!

pampe
05-02-2003, 09:20 PM
SD, thanks, I think I get what you are saying but there has to be another way....that way looks too much like the original...:rolleyes:

Maybe I can neutralize things to get better distance.....

jackiesimmonds
05-03-2003, 11:03 AM
There may be another way, but it might mean doing a second version!

At the moment, the more I look at it, the more I see two pictures going on here - a lavendar field, and an image of a lovely old chateau.

Here are two thumbnail sketches to show compositon. The top one is your original pic. Heavy diagonals shoot us up to the top half of the pic, which is all about horizontals, with a couple of verticals in there for good measure.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2003/1805-lavendar.jpg

the bottom one shows a possible solution. This time, the pic is about the lavendar field, and the chateau is MUCH less important, tho still there. The lines of lavendar are "broken" slightly, and also they curve gently, and both the broken-ness of the line, and the slight curve, slows the movement back in space down somewhat - we can enjoy a gentler amble back to the chateau, rather than a rush.

Just a thought.

Jackie

pampe
05-04-2003, 01:20 PM
thank you, Jackie

flower
05-04-2003, 04:02 PM
Hi Pampe,

I remeber seeing this pic a while ago and liked the colours you used, but i think with the pastels it looks so much different, more alive, i like the idea of Jackies of bending the lines slightly to the left making it softer, thanks for this idea, think iŽll take a look at some of my watercolours i banished to the dark archives

pampe
05-05-2003, 09:53 AM
thanks, flower....I may try to do that or do another