PDA

View Full Version : More lunch time sketches, dammit...

seejay
05-01-2003, 07:21 AM
Did these last month, scanned them but never got around to posting...sorry if my sketches are boring anyone...;)

#1. Part of the sugar mill where I work...luckily I'm in a nearby office.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/6409-sketches0001.jpg

#2 Palm trees...gotta luv 'em!:)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/6409-sketches0002.jpg

Cheers

Phillip
05-01-2003, 07:41 AM
They will never be boring and I am sure others will agree Chris.

seejay
05-01-2003, 07:54 AM
Thanks again Phillip. What a surprise meeting you here.;)

I told you I don't post elsewhere, but I checked out your portraits - I think I prefer #2. You're of to a great start...

It can be a small world - Phillip and I met a few weeks ago at life drawing, and now he pops up in Pen&Ink too. A couple of hours ago we were in the same room sketching a very nice model.

Cheers

Phillip
05-01-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by seejay

I told you I don't post elsewhere, but I checked out your portraits - I think I prefer #2. You're of to a great start...

It can be a small world - Phillip and I met a few weeks ago at life drawing, and now he pops up in Pen&Ink too. A couple of hours ago we were in the same room sketching a very nice model.

Cheers

Yes we had a good chat about drawing after life drawing tonight.

Just joined the ink & wash forum,

Phillip
05-01-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by seejay

Cheers

Thanks Chris.

I like the 2nd one as well except for the hair. I think it was overdone. & the face needs more tones. but I should be able to fix that.

MonicaB
05-01-2003, 09:35 AM
It is definitely a small world, isn't it? I'm glad you two have met.
And Chris, your sketches are NEVER boring! :D

DragonladyfromOz
05-01-2003, 11:38 AM
Hey, these aren't boring seejay ...full of life and movement, especially the palm trees.
Hmmmm... just noticed - lives in Bundaberg ... works at a sugar mill... I wonder, seen any white Polar Bear types floating around lately? :D :eek: :D
Cheers
Manda

cnfwriter
05-01-2003, 12:35 PM
Boring? On the contrary, I find them inspirational. I admire you for setting aside time each day to improve your skills. I need to take a page from your example.

I read somewhere of an accomplished artist who made it a point to do ten sketches each day. No matter how well the sketches turned out, he always threw them away, that way the tension from expectations would never cause him to tighten up on his approach, keeping things light and free.

I might not be able to knock out ten drawings a day, but I found his philosophy interesting. Please keep sharing these. Not only are they well done, but they always give me a kick in the pants to do my own daily sketches. :D

Gilberte
05-01-2003, 01:28 PM
:clap:

drwells
05-01-2003, 05:31 PM
I wish some of you guys lived near me.. You guys are pretty much my only art peers. :( Love the sketches Chris. So you are a geek at a sugar mill. Kewl. ;)

Danny

mel-ink
05-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Palm trees...gotta luv 'em!

Oh yes!!!!!!!! And all of your sketches! Please don't stop posting them, I always look forward to seeing new lunchtime works from you, Chris!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

seejay
05-01-2003, 10:43 PM
Thanks to all.

Monica: glad you're not bored.:)

Manda:
seen any white Polar Bear types

They company I work for used to own Bundy Rum, but not any more. Those bears are almost as rare as koala around here.;)

Mike:
No matter how well the sketches turned out, he always threw them away, that way the tension from expectations would never cause him to tighten up on his approach, keeping things light and free.

Interesting - I prefer to keep my sketch books; I enjoy going back to the oldies to see how I have improved...I am just about over worrying about the failures, I always look forward to the next one. If you keep it relaxed/fun you want to do more I think.

Gilberte:
:D

Danny:
a geek at a sugar mill. Kewl. :)LOL! Never thought of it that way myself.

Mel:
always look forward to seeing new lunchtime works from you
Don't know if you should keep encouraging me that way!;)

Cheers everyone - keep on sketching!

artdude
05-02-2003, 09:18 AM
Enjoy your sketches Chris. Kind of gives us a peek at your surroundings and they are never boring!! As I mentioned before, I really do admire the fact that you take the time to sketch :D:)
Something we should all do more of :)

Keep them coming!!! :D:)

BTDogMom
05-02-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Phillip
They will never be boring and I am sure others will agree Chris. I do agree - is this some sort of inking person disease? Like they think we're all going 2 get bored of their stuff. If u drew a sphere 112 different ways - that would b boring - these r not...;)

jjsangel
05-02-2003, 02:33 PM
No way are these boring. I love looking at peoples sketches. I wish I could be so loose and free and sketch like that. I tend to be to tight. I used to have a friend who could sit and sketch anything and it used to amaze me. I think people who can sketch like that are very gifted.

cyrillejubert
05-02-2003, 05:24 PM
Industrial landscapes are not really my cup of tea

I love your palm trees
it is so pure ... it is resting

:cool:

seejay
05-02-2003, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys!

All your encouragement is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Miggles
05-03-2003, 06:42 AM
Chris I do enjoy your lunchtime sketches. Good on you getting out in the fresh air.. Isnt Sketching so good for us in several ways! Really like the palms, nice and free:clap: certainly not boring.

I too keep all my full books to look back on. They actually supply heaps of ideas to paint from. Having a small pocket size book and pen in ones bag or pocket, is the first step in improving our ability,wouldn't you agree.? So handy too when WAITING . Has certainly rid me of impatience.

seejay
05-03-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Miggles
Chris I do enjoy your lunchtime sketches. Good on you getting out in the fresh air.. Isnt Sketching so good for us in several ways!

Thanks Miggles. Yeah, I get lost for a while, it's like meditation, so relaxing.;)

I too keep all my full books to look back on. They actually supply heaps of ideas to paint from. Having a small pocket size book and pen in ones bag or pocket, is the first step in improving our ability,wouldn't you agree.?

I would agree now, although when I started I had to keep telling myself it was good for me - now I believe!

I am getting interested in going from sketches to paintings; probably just need to start doing it, and learn as I go along. Sound right to you? Any tips on how to use sketches for paintings? Of course I need to do more work on learning to paint as well.;)

Cheers