PDA

View Full Version : The Challenge! Lorna12 v's Crafty Hopo

Paul Hopkinson
05-01-2003, 04:25 AM
Lorna and myself decided to challenge one another to paint something that we have never tried before.
She challenged me to paint a horse for the first time, and yes you guessed it, in WATERCOLOUR!

Here is my attempt with some close up's.

Lorna will post her's after mine. This thread was started in the Animal & Wildlife Forum.

Paul

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/19488-horsemd.jpg

And for tw o close up's..........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/19488-horseclip.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/19488-Horseclip2.jpg

lorna12
05-01-2003, 04:31 AM
My challenge was a landscape, which I further challenged myself to do in w/c, which is a medium I'm not very comfortable with.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/11613-watercolor_mountains_A.jpg_1.jpg

A horse and a Landscape.....kinda like comparing apples and oranges!:D

Paul Hopkinson
05-01-2003, 04:38 AM
Lorna I really do like this. You have done a great job on the mountains even though you don't think so!
You have achieved a great feeling of distance and your colours in the foreground are outstanding!:clap:

Well done on this challenge, if I could give you a medal I would!

Paul:D

Nitsa
05-01-2003, 05:14 AM
Crafty.......Forget the horse (which is wonderful btw) I love your treatment of background foliage and the grass is amazing!!!!!!
Lorna......I love your composition and you have rendered the scene very well, however, I do feel the water is lacking a little something, although I have no idea what that something is...Sorry, not much help!

Both are great first time watercolours and you should both be very proud of them.......What medium do you both usually use?

moo67
05-01-2003, 06:14 AM
Wow...you have both certainly risen to the challenge and surpassed it with excellence well done,beautiful details and colours.
Moo:clap: :clap: :clap:

Paul Hopkinson
05-01-2003, 07:19 AM
Moo Thanks for you lovely comments it was certainly a challenge!

Nitsa I used a size 2 Coteman brush for all of the detail including the horse. I don't have a prefered medium mainly because of commission work I either paint animals in Watercolour or Portraits in oils. I do on the odd occasion dabble in acrylics, pencil, coloured pencil and pen & ink all depending on the subject matter.

Thanks
Paul

artmom
05-01-2003, 07:26 AM
Lorna--great landscape--is it really your first? Your colors are wonderful I checked out your work on Animal/Wildlife forum--unbelievably detailed work.

Is that lake frozen?

Paul, wonderful horse. I'm like Nitsa--you could take the horse out and still have a great painting--your foreground grass and background trees are fabulous.

Congratulations to both of you for the guts to challenge each other and yourselves!:D

Lyn

Crystal Owl
05-01-2003, 08:11 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: for the both of you!! Kicked butt :)

Paul - you are simply amazing, the horse , the grass the the the ....

Lorna - you did a fantastic job, looks so serene and peaceful.

Irene

K8Black
05-01-2003, 08:25 AM
:clap: You both did a great job!

Kate

Little Old Lady
05-01-2003, 08:48 AM
Good work on both!
JoAnn

babybrush
05-01-2003, 09:19 AM
great job!! afraid a challenge like this wouldn't be quite so special as i'm always trying something i've never done before. great way to streach the skills and learn somehting new. looks great, both of you. i need to get around to painting a horse. used to draw them all the time, but haven't done one since i took up watercolor.

Bethany

Strawberry Wine
05-01-2003, 09:39 AM
WOW to both of you.

Paul: your horse is outstanding You have given him such texture in his coat. Your foreground grass is wonderful and I love the way you have the horses muzzle (is it a muzzle in a horse?) buried right into the blades of grass

Lorna: Your landscape is wonderful. Terrific and realistic moutains and your foreground rocks and ghoats are well done.
I think the lake is a little pale. It is in a valley and surrounded by those mountains and hills. I think you need to go darker around the shore lines unless you intended to have it still frozen.

Gail

pampe
05-01-2003, 09:43 AM
one word: INCREDIBLE

you two prove the theory that medium doesn't matter if you are talented!

wow

The horse and background are VERY well rendered!!!

I agree that the lake needs some vibrancy...and maybe some more value clarification in the fore and mid-ground

WONDERFUL JOB, you two

c.mon over any time!;)

karenboss
05-01-2003, 01:39 PM
Paul, Lorna... SWEET!

karenjh
05-01-2003, 05:50 PM
Wow! These are beautiful.

The horse - His fur is amazing, shiny, textured. His head is so real.

THe landscape - I like it alot especially the two animals - has a lot of dimension to it.

Paul Hopkinson
05-01-2003, 06:31 PM
Thank you Karenjh, karenboss, pampe, Strawberry Wine, babybrush, Little Old Lady, K8Black, Crystal Owl & artmom for all of your lovely comments.

Lorna is away for the next week so I'm sure she will thank you all as well.

This was certainly a challenge for me especially as I've never painted a horse before. Trying to achieve a sheen on the horses coat was incredibly difficult. This was done by letting the paint dry and then drag a damp brush through it and then a hint of colour added.

Cheers
Paul

She-She
05-01-2003, 07:56 PM
INCREDIBLE!!!! :clap:

Some have said they could do without the horse in the first one, well for me he fits right in. That lush green grass is just what every horse wants. Love the detail work on the leg wraps too.

That landscape is so well done. It looks so peaceful. All over it I can see the fine detail, so beautiful!

Paul & Lorna, congrats to both of you for challenging each other & yourselves.

My first watercolor was the pits....:rolleyes: