PDA

View Full Version : The Challenge!

Paul Hopkinson
05-01-2003, 03:42 AM
About one week ago Lorna and myself decided to challenge one another to paint something we have never painted before. So here we go!
Lorna will post hers after mine on this same thread.

I was challenged to paint a horse of which I have never tried. Don't ask what bread it is coz I haven't got a clue!:D

Here it is with two clips..............

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/19488-horsemd.jpg

Close ups 1 & 2

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/19488-horseclip.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/19488-Horseclip2.jpg

This might give you all some ideas for challenging one another as a way of trying out something new!:D

Paul Hopkinson
05-01-2003, 03:43 AM
Sorry I forgot to mention this was done in Watercolour.

Cheers
Paul

lorna12
05-01-2003, 03:56 AM
Way to go Paul!! You did a fantastic job of this! I don't know if I want to post mine now!! But I will.

Paul challenged me to do a landscape, which I have done in the past, but not very well (as this will show) I thought I had better keep within the theme of the forum so I added a couple of animals. I further challenged myself by doing it in w/c. It's not great, so I decided to try one in acrylics, which truned out a little better. Here are both of them.
W/C 9X12 140lb. "A Mountain View"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/11613-watercolor_mountains_A.jpg_1.jpg

"Vermillion Lake, near Banff AB." acrylic 9X12 on w/c 140lb paper
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/11613-Vermillion_Lake_A.jpg

Paul, what size is yours?

Paul Hopkinson
05-01-2003, 04:16 AM
Lorna I've painted mine 10"x7" or there abouts! Depends on what size I decide to mount it as.
You have done a fabulous job on both paintings! I can't see anything wrong with either of them. And you said that you were not happy with your efforts! You can certainly handle watercolour and as for you acrylics, well no problem.

Well done! :clap:

Paul

Nynna
05-01-2003, 06:00 AM
Oh well done the both of you. :clap:

crazeejumper
05-01-2003, 06:57 AM
OMG!!! Look at the sheen on that coat! What a beauty! Who'd ever believe you've never painted horses before? You really make me jealous. :mad: ;) Outstanding job!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Paul Hopkinson
05-01-2003, 07:14 AM
Thank you Connie!
Christina (Shedreamsbig) origionally challenged me so you can thank her for encouraging me to paint a horse.
Hey, I might even do another one as I really enjoyed this challenge!
I found that all of the blending work took a lot of doing, plus the amount of different shades and colours including blue was surprising when I really got into it.

Paul

myorca
05-01-2003, 07:44 AM
Paul and Lorna,

You both have done a great job! I can hear the theme from "Rocky" playing!! heheheh

Bob

ironhorse
05-01-2003, 10:46 AM
Paul you did fantastic!!!!!!!!!
My guess would be it's a Throughbred ;)

Lorna you did TONS better then the landscape in WC that I tried!!!!!!! I do agree that the acrylic one looks better. Maybe you need more layers in the WC one??

Way to go guys!!!
Twyla

RachelG*
05-01-2003, 02:07 PM
OMG i love these!! that horse is amazing!!! if you came up to me and showed it to me and said you've never painted horses before, i wouldn't believe you!! this is awesome! i love the detail on his face!
Lorna, your landscapes are soooo cool!!! i LOVE the colors in the second one. you nailed those mountains!!!!! P.S CUTE duckies and mountain goats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: Both of you!!!!!!!!

echidna
05-01-2003, 02:52 PM
:eek: *runs off to suck paul and lorna's brains out through bendy-straws*
dang those are good...watercolors scare me!
~Echidna

Paul Hopkinson
05-01-2003, 07:08 PM
Thank you Echidna, RachelG*, Twyla and Bob for you encouraging words.
Lorna is away for a week but I'm sure she will say a few thank you's on her return.
Echinda Watercolours can be scary to begin with but with practice you soon get the feel for them, as I'm sure you have with your currently chosen medium. So don't worry if you decide to have a go, it's all about fun and enjoying it.

Twyla I'm glad you are around to tell me what type of horse it is. Fancy painting it and not knowing, tut, tut!

Paul

Crias
05-01-2003, 11:16 PM
Great job Paul and Lorna!! Excellent work :clap: :clap:

lorna12
05-02-2003, 01:54 AM
I tried to get on and reply this morning but WC was down for maintenance or something.

Nynna, Crazee, Bob, Twyla, Rachel Echidna, & Crias, thankyou so much for your very generous comments about my lanscapes. You are really too kind!!

Echidna, I laughed right out loud when I read yours! Funnneeee!!

Crafty Paul...this was a lot of fun. We'll have to do it again, sometime. Get your thinking cap on;) mine is:D Anyone else want to have some fun, too?

I'm leaving bright and early in the morning for ArtBreak, (guest artist's giving talks and demos) at beautiful Salt Spring Island on the west coast of Canada. I'm very excited about this as I may have mentioned before, one of the speakers is Robert Bateman! I'm taking my new digital camera and my paints (water colors, so I can practice!) as we have a couple of extra days to explore the beaches and some lovely gardens. I'm hoping to come back all refreshed and rejuvenated and ready to paint up a storm!

Of course, that's after I spend at least 2 days catching up on everything here!:D

Oh, one other thing, I meant to mention...I took "A Dog, his Boy and a Cat"(acrylic), "Precious" (scratchart) and the Tiger scratchart that I painted, (the one Bob animated) to a jury for a show, and the first two were excepted but not the Tiger. I guess is was too "photo-like" or something, they didn't really say why. I was a little disappointed, but 2 out of 3 isn't bad. I was thinking of you Paul, when they turned down your Monkey. This was for a Federation of Canadian Artists show. One good thing, I can always submit it again and hope for different jurors!

Back in a week!!:D

shedreamsbig
05-02-2003, 07:13 AM
Wow,

I am so jelous!! I won't challenge you again paul..... you make me look bad!! LOL:rolleyes:

I guess I have to get my bottom moving on our challnge, HUH?

I ment to start it before but have been out of it for a while...did my first horse yesterday... but I hate it! I will post it later.... I don't seem to be able to focus right now.

I hope you don't mind if I start our challenge (My half of it at least) in a few days or weeks. I want to do my best if I am going to do it!:( Okay???

Your friend, Christna

Oh P.S.

Lorna really great paintings!! I LOVE THEM!! Great Job!!

Paul, you know you are so talented!! There is nothing I have seen you do bad!! You are an awsome artist!!

k9artist
05-02-2003, 11:15 AM
What a neat idea to challenge one another to paint something you are not used to!! For me it would be landscapes as well!! You did a wonderful job Lorna!!
Paul..this is excellent!! You are making me jealous!!
dana

BTDogMom
05-02-2003, 02:19 PM
This is a great idea!!! You guys really stepped up 2 the challenge, these r both beautiful. WOW!! You guys:clap: :clap: :clap:

Paul Hopkinson
05-02-2003, 08:04 PM
Christina thankyou, your work is excellent so don't under estimate yourself and your abilities. Hey I have done lot's of bad paintings, you only see the one's I dare show! I might have another go at a horse again, this way we can post together in a few weeks as we origionally planned.
It's good to have you back on board!

Dana you should also challenge someone as well. I have found it a great experience painting something that I don't normally do. Please don't pick me this time, I'm having a hard time to complete three commissions (human portraits).
I can think of a few people here!

BTDogMom This challenge is something we should all have a go at to spread our wings to other subjects. Hey I think Dana might be interested!:evil:

Thankyou all for your interest in this thread, I think I just might have started something here at WC!

Paul

Pippin
05-03-2003, 12:47 AM
You have both done an excellent job:clap: Paul I hope we do see more horses from you.Your first horse is a winner.
Lorna , I hope you enjoy your trip to Saltspring Island.It is a very beautiful place.Saltspring is a short ferry ride away from where I live.

Caron
05-03-2003, 07:47 AM
Wow! To both of you!! All these creations are fabulous! Seems you both had fun doing them..:) Paul your horse is one to be admired, thats for sure and Lorna, both of your landscapes create a feeling. Your first is tranquil with its cool colours and the second I really get the feeling of warmth and crispness of fall.
Bravo!!!!!
Christina, waiting to see yours!!

Paul Hopkinson
05-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Thanks Caron & Pippin I've just started another horse but I'm no where near happy with it yet. Time will tell if it comes out alright.
The other one might have been first itme lucky!:(

Paul

inkskin
05-04-2003, 10:03 PM
Paul,Lorna,you both rock!I think it is terrific how you are expanding your horizons,and both with wonderful results. Keep up the great work!

Heather