PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Garaveti

lyn lynch
05-01-2003, 01:58 AM
This is another study for contemplated full sheet: Overdone? Most enough detail in the face? Eyes missing the glow, for sure.

MR. GARAVETI-STONE CUTTER of Italian lineage, in his 50s and currently a resident of the state of Vermont. Listen as he tells you of his vocation:
"It was tough for everybody in the early days. Lots of stonecutters die from the silica. Now they've got new and better equipment; they've all got to use the suctions. It helps a lot; but it ain't perfect. Men still die. You bet your life my kid don't go to work in no stoneshed. Silica, that's what kills them. Everybody who stays in granite, it gets...I don't get so much of it myself. Maybe I'm smart. I don't make so much money, but I don't get so much silica. In my end of the shed there ain't so much dust. I can laugh at the damn granite because it can't touch me. That's me. I ain't got no money, but I ain't got no silica either. My end of the shed don't get so much dust. It's like a knife, you know, that silica. Like a knife in your chest."

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/16729-Mr-Garaveti.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/16729-Mr-Garaveti-Close.jpg

Frank Fan
05-01-2003, 02:21 AM
Wow! a full sheet portrait,it's a huge job. it's as good as usual, today is our labor's day, we have a day off, of course, a nice day for pinting.

mchew
05-01-2003, 02:27 AM
Hi Auntie,

Wow! Full sheet portrait! I'm full of admiration on your portraiture skill.... and what a nice story to go with it.

I was actually drawing a figure on full sheet last night and I have so much trouble getting the proportions right... head too big, hands too long, legs too short... etc.

I erased it off, cut into half-sheet and started drawing another shophouses (different composition and location than yours).... lol

madmum
05-01-2003, 02:35 AM
Auntie he's outstanding! Wonderful face and clothes, hat is great as always :D

One nit, I don't like the lines on his neck, they seem too sharp, other than that you've got it :D

Ruth

lyn lynch
05-01-2003, 02:47 AM
Thanks Frank [get crackin' on another work, Frank, day off is good for painting], Marvin [you better not make another Sophia Road shophouses] and Maddie for looking this morning.

Maddie, yes, the neck muscles look to sharp because I did not put enough detail in the face to balance it. :( Think I'm a bit un-chuffed about faces right now--too much, too fast on portrait exchange.

I clarify about full sheet work: It is to be a group of men, not just one and full figures. Big Dog [earlier work which I called Al22 in 1960s] will definitely be one of the figures. Mr. Garavetti will need a body drawn, once I decide where to position him in the full sheet. I'm doing these studies to determine my palette and whether the character will be believeable. I like this guy's hat, so it's a keeper. But I think the overalls [email protected] He needs hard work expression lines in his face, to match his story. Each character will have a story like above, to tell the buyer who he is. So, I appreciate good critique about how this guy reads.

artmom
05-01-2003, 05:38 AM
Okay, Fookie, here goes! Here is my opinion. You asked for it:evil:

I read a great life story in one paragraph. :)

The painting--I read a thirty year old's face on a 80 year old's neck. For Italian lineage, too much pink in cheeks--they are soft and smooth as baby's bottom. This man has breathed silica dust and has obviously worried about it (as well he should)--needs some furrows between eyes.
Hat, shirt, and, yes, jeans all read right to me. Five o'clock shadow reads well.

Area around mustache confuses me a little;hard to tell if it is all mustache or part mustache with heavy shadows.

When eyes are completed, and more "character" added to face, he will be a fit companion for " Big Dog." Keep rockin', woman!

Lyn

Yorky
05-01-2003, 06:19 AM
Wonderful Study, wonderful story! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Doug

painterbear
05-01-2003, 06:33 AM
Hi Fookie,

I know you always ask for honest opinions about your paintings so I'll try to give you mine here.

Your palette is beautiful and I like the weathered look of the hat and outfit very much.

Mr. Garavetti (I added the second "t" on purpose, seems more authentic) doesn't come across as very Italian looking IMHO. (I come from an Italian family and spent time in Italy recently so I say this with that experience in mind.)

Even though he is only in his 50s, I think he needs to be aged quite a bit as you already mentioned in your post. His cheeks are too smooth and complexion too pink for someone who spent his time outdoors (in a shed) doing basically manual labor.

Your concept of painting all these different people and telling their stories is a terrific idea. The final painting should be dynamite.

Bill J
05-01-2003, 08:00 AM
Great piture I wouldn't change a thing! The story--It's strange so many men died making tomb stones
bill

I'm drawn to art"

Crystal Owl
05-01-2003, 08:07 AM
This is Fookiefabulous! Love the story too :)

Irene

Little Old Lady
05-01-2003, 08:53 AM
Great loose painting and good suggestions. Ambitious project.
JoAnn

pampe
05-01-2003, 09:40 AM
beautiful start!!

agree about the neck needing some softening

I think he needs to be older...lines under eyes..dark spots, etc

love the colors....maybe more sienna, less pink on the face....but leave it in the cheeks

hat and mustache ROCK!!!

gonna be a good one

Uschi
05-01-2003, 09:42 AM
Ohhh fookie!!!!! What a wonderful painting and story!!!!! Love the colours, love everything, but must agree with the others re age and labour, needs to be more rugged looking. Yes, his eyes are a bit flat, I think (although we don't like picking!!!!) a very thin outline of the iris might create more roundness.
That is going to be ONE FABULOUS full sheet!!!!
Uschi

MKathleen
05-01-2003, 01:19 PM
Hi fookie--First of all excellent start and a full sheet to boot. I love the colors you choose very rich and shouts 'WATERCOLOR'. There are a couple of areas I think could be improved one would be the neck maybe soften the values a little. Two I'd like to see a little more light value in his right eye seems kind of dull in value.
I think this is going to be a very nice painting of a very hard worker. Wonderful life story...
Best,
Kathy:)

sweetbabydill
05-01-2003, 02:26 PM
Hey fookie!
This is going to be great. Love the way you do portraits! I love the story also. The only thing that really bothers me is the neck lines, other than that to me it is a great painting. I admire your work.
Carolyn

Gilberte
05-01-2003, 03:12 PM
His clothes are so well rendered !

lyn lynch
05-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Interesting comments, Thank you everyone for such attention to helping me sort this out. Believe me, I take every comment seriously and mark in the file for THE BIG ONE. This is ambitious project so I want to do all the prelim first and avoid disapointment as much as possible. I had much disapointment w/the Darryl big one due to lack of planning.

OK. Yes, eyes are washed out on him. I rushed them and eye must dry completely before additions. I did not let them dry.

Also interesting that I felt the clothes to be overworked, especially the jeans. They read as too new for this man's work and his lifetime. I need more dirt in crevices. Shirt is OK to read as cleaner, because he is dressed up for his interview.

Here's the deal on the face: His corded neck is to portray how hard he has worked, how little proper nutrition he has had, basically his neck muscles are slack, while the veining protrudes. His hair and beard are still brown because basically he is still a 'young' man, only in his 50s.

According to his story, he has been subjected to the silica dust, but not as much hence he does not have the grayed-out skin tones of the chronically ill worker. However, his cheeks are overly ripe w/red because he has the beginning of a lung disorder whereby lack of oxygen to the muscles produces such an effect. Also, I need to delete reference to Italian lineage, because it is too causal to interepretation of region's likeness.

OK, the face does not work, that's what I need to know. I'm too much in my head on his face.

Sharon Douglas
05-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Fabulous as usual fookie.
I love your style, agree about the neck.
Sharon.

Olga
05-01-2003, 04:53 PM
Hi Lyn

I looked at this briefly in the morning without reading the story and loved it. But he looked to me like a fairly young guy from the country side visiting the city for the first time--a bit uncertain what to expect, full of trust but also slighly suspicious of unfamiliar things.
So--to my mind the character is great (agree about the neck) and the story is great... but they do not quite match. So--apint one to fit the story and make up another story for this one. Because the painting is really really GOOD!!!!

(And my husband, who came up behind me when I was looking at this, says so too!)

Olga

surreal
05-01-2003, 06:59 PM
It's a wonderful portrait.

M.A.
05-01-2003, 07:16 PM
Wonderful work of art, oops, character! Wonderful story!
:clap:

CharM
05-01-2003, 08:49 PM
Oh, Fookie... I had no difficulty with the colour of his skin... Everything else has been said by everyone else... I have to say that I particularly liked how you painted the shirt... and the jeans did not look overworked!

I loved your story...

lyn lynch
05-01-2003, 09:29 PM
Thank you for more comments on this guy. Characters are much fun to do, I highly recommend them, as stress-free since no one to say it doesn't look like so and so...LOL

Olga, I believe you have a good idea. I can keep this guy as possible for the study, having him the son of the stonemaker, who I shall now tend to. The son needs his own story.

I think next a shoemaker and his two sons.

Thank you friends, so encouraging to have so many and such kind comments. Also appreciate the critique, so never fear writing when you see something off, I appreciate the opportunity and you know that I will take it will you.LOL

Johnab
05-02-2003, 12:04 AM
Fookie:
He looks as if he is about to speak and I think I know how his voice will sound, rather soft and tentative. His years have taught him wisdom, but his expression is subtle. See how real he is?