PDA

View Full Version : Tulip WIP

Turtle33
04-30-2003, 08:11 PM
here is an update on the tulips painting.

i decided not to add another tulip and i will cut the paper down to size.
who knows, i might change my mind about that :p
i am stuck on the background though...any suggestions?

thanks!
Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2003/16927-Tulips.jpg

stewy2
04-30-2003, 08:36 PM
I love your shading. I always have trouble with backgrounds myself. Can't wait to see how you finish it.

pampe
04-30-2003, 09:01 PM
Sarah...I am assuming that the BG is whiter than it looks on the photo? No??

more like this maybe?

if so....I think you might leave it with a little more depth in the flowers....

Turtle33
04-30-2003, 09:06 PM
hi Pam :D
the background is just the white paper and it does look more like what you did with your editor.
do you think i need to keep the background pale in color?

thanks!

Sarah

Faafil
04-30-2003, 09:07 PM
Hi Sarah,

IMHO, I think it needs another tulip....:)

How about a dreamy vignette type background ?? And crop it down a bit.....??

Turtle33
04-30-2003, 09:15 PM
hi Faafil!

i am trying to find examples of vignette backgrounds.
that is an idea though

yahooserious
04-30-2003, 09:17 PM
Another tulip, please...gorgeous leaves...

Emilie

mhimeswc
04-30-2003, 09:30 PM
I vote for another tulip too!

Michelle

artmom
04-30-2003, 10:54 PM
I vote for another tulip and the vignette--but I like 1s, 3s, 5s,7s, etc. So don't mind me. I am asymmetrical--ROFLOL at own bad joke!

Lyn

Yorky
05-01-2003, 04:01 AM
I like it "as is".

Doug

Darren
05-01-2003, 09:09 AM
Sarah,

You do such gorgeous work. I know you've heard the cries for another tulip--it does seem rather horizontal with just the two. What about two ladybugs on the center right leaf--repeats the "two-ness" and brings the red down to form a triangle. (Besides, they're smaller than another tulip--too small??)

just a thought

darren

mpopinz
05-01-2003, 10:53 AM
Hi Sarah :-)

Love your foilage! I posted it as wallpaper to my desktop, and noticed that there are a lot of leaves for just 2 tulips. Could you reconsider and add perhaps a couple more?

The painting is absolutely beautiful.

As stunning as your fish!

karenboss
05-01-2003, 01:36 PM
very pretty.

one more tulip, please.

good luck w/ background, one idea, gradated textured wash, darker toward ground, green/blue light value -

look forward to seeing what you decide on -

(how's the flags coming?)

capricorne
05-01-2003, 01:50 PM
c'est chique! :)
Jan

Turtle33
05-01-2003, 03:56 PM
hi everyone!

the votes are in and i added another tulip to the painting. i have to paint it but i will post another picture tonight :)
mpopinz, the tulip leaves are not really tulip leaves. they are lily leaves :p i cheated a little
thanks for the advice Karen! i am not sure what i am doing yet but i will post another picture with the background later on tomorrow or Saturday.

thanks Darren, i did add another tulip. i guess i was breaking the rules on this with only two tulips in my composition. i know i should use 3-5.
thanks Lyn
Thanks Michelle
haha Emilie! there is now another tulip :p

CharM
05-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Coming along great, Sarah... I rather liked it with the two blooms, but three will be beautiful... especially coming from you...

eelfish1
05-02-2003, 01:32 AM
I suppose I am too late but I would only add a bud, not a full tulip, lower right, behind... leave background white and maybe just a light complimentary wash behing vertain spots...
Dot

flowerfields
05-02-2003, 05:09 AM
Sarah...lovely stuff!!such wonderful detail in the leaves!
I agree about another flower....also maybe you could do a loose blurry background with a hint of one in the distance, just a blur of the same colour? I would do a very light wash near the top right and blur it down darker nearer the bottom? Just an idea.
Mia:cat:

painterbear
05-02-2003, 05:26 AM
Hi Sarah,

Your tulips are lovely, but I think the faux-tulip/lily leaves are really well done. You have such changes in shading and contours in the leaves, they are wonderful.

One small thing about the tulips that stands out to my eyes is the center opening of the left hand tulip (facing the screen). It seems to be a hard circle, drawn by a pencil rather than a soft one formed by the various petals meeting at the point. No one else has mentioned it, but it stood out as I looked at the flowers.

I think a white background with these beautiful flowers would be very attractive. When it is framed, the mat could pick up one of the colors in the flowers or leaves. I think that would be very nice.