PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic carnation

E-J
04-30-2003, 05:46 PM
Don't panic, I'm not posting in the wrong medium :)

This is an artificial carnation-in-a-glass ornament thing that I bought today because it made me think of Manet's oil sketch 'Roses in a Champagne Glass'.

Spent 3 hours on this. It's 8.5" x 14", soft and hard pastels on the 'wrong' side of darkish blue Winsor & Newton Tints paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2003/13865-carnation.jpg

There are a couple of bits still to be done to it... I'll do them when I've figured out what they are ~ or when some kind soul has pointed them out :D :D

Thanks for looking.

soap
04-30-2003, 06:09 PM
Lovely E-J! Wow.
I love the colours and especially the shadow behind the vase, although I am not sure it is in the right place....
Really wonderful work.
Maybe a few more darks and highlights in the flower itself?

E-J
04-30-2003, 06:18 PM
Sophie ... the backdrop was a sheet of red pastel paper underneath the glass which curved up behind it, hence that is where the shadow fell, bizarre as it may be :)

I did want to put some darks into the flower but just couldn't find the colour [or colours] I needed.

Learnt a lot from doing this one!

Thanks for your comments and suggestion.

Mo.
04-30-2003, 06:21 PM
This is a really striking piece of work....:clap:.....love the hot colours, the glass and flower are superbly painted, maybe as Sophie says a tad more depth in the shadows of the petals...

The cast shadow is fine, but the glass appears to be floating...nothing there to ground it...but you probably have plans for that.

Cheers,
Mo.

sunny
04-30-2003, 06:22 PM
OOOHHH EJ...was sweating the wrong forum post...hee hee *wipes the sweat from her brow*(the panic thing....)

Is there ever a wrong side to a paper of any kind??? *just asking*

Well I am no kind soul who can point out what you will do next..cause I have the confidence in you ya know ....you will do what is next... lovely so far....working on a blue background?...which seems to account for the time...let some blue and orange,,and purples work for you in your palette...only suggesting cause you picked blue paper as your background..use it...

some purples and deep blues for your shadows.......oranges and light yellows for some cast shadows and highlights!!!..

Hee hee.giving you any advice...

:D ..you know what you are doing...will be brillaint!!!:clap:

Sunny:)

mhimeswc
04-30-2003, 06:54 PM
I Really like this EJ!!! I think the only thing you need is to indicate somehow that the glass is sitting on something instead of floating, maybe just a soft indication of where the horizontal surface ends and the vertical one begins.

Michelle

E-J
04-30-2003, 06:54 PM
Sunny... I prefer the smoother side of Tints, which seems to be Winsor & Newton's answer to Canson Mi-Teintes. I guess it's only really the 'wrong' side if you get halfway through a painting and realise the name of the paper is printed across it :rolleyes: :D

The time is accounted for by the simple fact that I don't know what I'm doing... feeling my way.

Yes, light yellows for the highlights... Have to leave this one for the w/e as I'm going to visit my parents for a few days, but I will study the colours more closely when I'm back and see what it needs in light of what you've suggested.

Mo, I don't really have plans for the cast shadow. I painted it exactly as I saw it and am not sure how to interpret it for the viewer who doesn't know that it was a curved surface... maybe some subtle lights and darks in the background would convey it... or it might just look silly.

Thanks for input :)

E-J
04-30-2003, 06:55 PM
Michelle, we were posting at the same time... Thanks for your comments :)

Redsy333
04-30-2003, 10:12 PM
OHHHHHHHH if its RED ya know im gonna love it!:D
I really love the solidarity this reflects!!
VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!:D

butterfly
04-30-2003, 10:31 PM
EJ:

Love this ... but I agree with the others the vase seems to be floating and not anchored to the paper its sitting on. And if you had it lite from the front then the reflections and color values have to be different from the bottom as it curves around up to the backdrop area ... have to do that squinting thing real tight and see it ... or even your eye wouldn't be able to tell that it is curving upward ...

(just a little note ... my art teacher gave this lecture today rather loudly!!!) So take it for what its worth ... hope you enjoyed your visit with your parents!

Butterfly/Roni

angecald
05-01-2003, 01:07 AM
Fabulous picture, EJ. A worthy tribute to Manet. Absolutely love the red background, and that lively shadow. The glass could be more grounded, as everyone says, and it's a little wonky too. (nit-pick, nit-pick) but it's just SO good!

E-J
05-01-2003, 03:51 AM
You're all such hard taskmasters ;) This site is really teaching me to take constructive criticism and use it ~ something I've never been much good at doing. It's very helpful :) Thanks all.

meowmeow
05-01-2003, 07:51 AM
Great flower...even if it is acrylic! :D Really, it is a nice flower, just could use a bit more dark and light contrast. Everything they have been saying...but well worth working on a bit more because it is well done.

Sandy

Dark_Shades
05-01-2003, 08:36 AM
This is really nice EJ ....... love the pinks that are coming out in the forum lately...... I think Im with Mo on this one, needs to be grounded some what...... but if you are happy with it as it is, thats fine too - on one of my earlier works everyone kept saying I had to ground it....... I liked the way it looked as it was ...... went on to sell it lol.

the only other thought I had was the flower looks too top heavy for the size of the vase... and wouldnt think that the stems would float

E-J
05-01-2003, 10:48 AM
Cheers Dawn, Sandy.

Dawn: that's because it's not water ~ the stems are stuck in some kind of clear plastic stuff in the glass! :D Perhaps they'd look more convincing if I made them longer...?

So many decisions to make...

I suppose that is what creating art is all about! :)

BTDogMom
05-02-2003, 01:22 PM
EJ - this is FABULOUS!!! I love how the water and the "acrylic" vase look - - it's beautiful - I love the color of the background!!!:clap: :clap:

E-J
05-05-2003, 05:13 AM
My confidence in my art was shaken this w/e by the thoughtless comments of a relative when I showed him a few of my pictures. His indifference/contempt affected me quite badly. Since then I've been painting without joy.

Have done a bit more work on the carnation but whatever its flaws, I'm calling it finished now. Going to mount and frame it. It's a statement to myself that even if I'm alone in liking something I've painted [which I know isn't true, but have been feeling quite down about this incident], then that is ok.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/13865-carnation.jpg

Dark_Shades
05-05-2003, 05:19 AM
awwwww what a shame EJ ...... ((hugs))) ........ I have the same experience!! with my own ........ good to hear you are still confident enough to put it behind you ......... I would use it to spur you own, as I have done myself..... to get better and better and prove to this person how good you are

..... as to this relative :p :p :p :p :p ...... andddddddd :p :p ..... and I bet this person cant even draw a straight line with a ruler ... :p

soap
05-05-2003, 05:21 AM
I know how you feel E-J! Just remind yourself that art is a very personal thing and there are loads of people who really just appreciate that Tom Cruise poster over an original art work. You simply cannot win there. I too, encounter people that have more faith in my skills than I have myself, and people (even people close to me) who could not care less, or so it seems)

As you say - you KNOW you are better than that - and your carnation is a winner! I love it, for whatever that's worth. (the glass vase is stunning!)

(oh! I cross posted with Dawn - good comment - he/she might just be jealous!)

E-J
05-05-2003, 05:40 AM
Dawn and Soapy ~ thanks :)

BTDogMom
05-05-2003, 10:01 AM
I'm sorry 2 hear that EJ, and shocked that any1 would think your work was anything but beautiful. Is your relative an artist EJ?

E-J
05-05-2003, 11:11 AM
Jamie ~ no, he isn't an artist but is someone close to me who I really hoped and thought might like my pastels. I spent a day feeling very sad and discouraged but am putting it behind me now. Thank you for your kind comments. This one's going on my wall as soon as I can get a mount made to fit it :)