PDA

View Full Version : OT - Kind of Stolen Horse Issue - WARNING

Artful-equine
04-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Hi everybody --

I'm not quite sure why I'm posting this here except for the fact that I've so enjoyed all of you I thought I might vent to the horse people among you! I have had the worst week -- of course that's why I've pretty much disappeared from the board here.

To make a long story short, I loaned a horse out on trial that I was considering selling -- this is a horse I've had since birth and it was really a difficult decision. I didn't really want to sell her but financially this year has been disasterous for me with my main computer business failing and my other horse (her father, actually), going through some very expensive EPM treatment. Anyway, there were some people at my barn who I thought might be the perfect home for her and so a few months ago we all talked and I sent her to their place and basically said try her for as long as you need to really KNOW her. I visited her regularly and even took her to my vet after they got her injured to have her ultrasounded just to make sure she was still going to be sound... I STILL OWNED THE HORSE. Well, they called me last week and said basically, "Give us her papers and registration #" as we have palpated her and ultrasounded her and we're going to breed her day after tomorrow. THIS after never discussing it with me and not even letting me know they wanted to keep her (and if they DID want to keep her they knew that I would sell her to them albeit I had said inexpensively as the home was the most important thing. I planned to have them sign papers stating they would not re-sell her unless to me for the same price, etc.). Anyway, Obviously I was somewhat distraught they'd gone that far without making it legal but I thought...well, EAGER OVERSIGHT maybe and then told them her price was $1500 with signed papers saying they won't resell. Now take into account this is a nice Hannovarian X mare with great breeding and quite a lot of talent and if it had been about money, I could have sold her for quite a lot more. Well, the lady refused and then threatened me and said give me her papers and the horse once and for all or get her immediately and pay me for every one of her expenses since she's been on our place. And then said I was not to pick her up without 'Paying her what I owed her." It was really ugly, frankly. And of course, my fault as I had nothing spelled out on paper in the beginning because these were people at the barn and I thought oh, it doesn't need to be legal at this point. WRONG.

Well, I don't take threats too well - especially about a horse I happen to love and about a situation that had turned very bad. I went to visit a laywer and the sherriff and found out that she had no right to hold the horse basically hostage for money that had been trumped up suddenly because she didn't want to buy her. It was basically she refused to relinquish the horse without payment and I refused to pay for something that I didn't owe because the horse had been on trial and she knew it and had agreed to that.

I had to get all of my paperwork to prove that I owned her and then I was directed by the lawyer that lien laws didn't work in her situation and so I could go onto the property and remove my horse and it would hold up in court as long as I left a detailed legal letter (from the attorney) with all the details ect. It was just awful and frightening and I thought I was going to throw up driving onto that place this morning to get her. I was so afraid of an ugly scene I haven't slept for two nights!

When I got there all the gates were padlocked (of course) so I had to "break" one (I left a replacement chain as I knew beforehand she's probably have them locked) to get her out. Thankfully no one was there and the mare walked right into the trailer. I'm holding my breath now expecting a sherriff to show up saying I stole the horse but I have all my paperwork and the lawyer's # for the sherriff to call etc. etc so I should be ok. I probably won't have to see or deal with this woman again until she sues me which I'm sure she will. And that's ok... I don't think she'll win.

I guess I just wanted to tell all of your horse people, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING before you let your horse go out of your possession. This has just been the worst thing to go through!

Thanks for letting me vent. I attached pics of Apostrophe (the mare) and my other horse Armatur just so you could see the "family." :-)

Artful-equine
04-30-2003, 05:17 PM
And the Daddy!

echidna
04-30-2003, 05:55 PM
wow:( . i'm so sorry you had to go through all that. what an awful situation to be in...try not to worry, though, because according to what you have written, you were completely in the right by retrieving your horse from her property. hopefully you'll be able to look back on this as a learning experience, and now everyone on this forum knows another thing to watch out for! both of your horses are absolutely beautiful! if someone were to sell me a hanoverian X for $1500, i would be thrilled beyond belief and i would go out of my way to be nice and helpful! best wishes,
~Echidna

RachelG*
04-30-2003, 06:04 PM
Wow-I'm soo sorry you had to go through all that. i've heard of horses getting stolen before-i'm sooo glad you were able to get yours back!!! kudos to you for going and getting your horse!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think it's great that you didn't wait anylonger.
BEAUTIFUL horses, BTW. How'd your mare get her unusual name?? i love hearing how people name their horses!!:D

Crias
04-30-2003, 07:27 PM
I too am sorry to hear the story! I don't know why people have to be that way! Your mare (well both of them) are gorgous...I'd love to have a warmblood (or cross). Is that YOU riding in that second picture?

So glad you got her back!!

paintedhorses
04-30-2003, 07:40 PM
What a horror story! Years ago I sold a very well-bred Quarter Horse mare to a couple, on a contract, for $3000.00. They were to pay so much a year for so many years, etc. Well, after three years they decided they had "an equity interest" in the mare and owned a portion of her and would pay no more. Didn't work - I got a writ of replevin and had the sheriff accompany me to repossess the mare. Not long after, I was sued by them because the stallion "had died of a broken heart" after I "took the mare away". The judge threw out their case and they had to pay all costs. Good thing I had a contract!

It takes all kinds, I guess.

Hope things work out well for you and your lovely horse.

Jeri

Artful-equine
04-30-2003, 10:13 PM
Thanks you guys.... You are so appreciated today! I am so tired but it's one of those exhaustions that you can't sleep.... Anyway, perhaps this will inspire my art! Aren't artists supposed to be tortured souls??? I feel like one -- at least today!

<,BEAUTIFUL horses, BTW. How'd your mare get her unusual name?? i love hearing how people name their horses!!>>

Thank you! I think they are, too so I won't argue:-) But I'm the mom so I'm biased. Anyway, I guess you can't really see it in the picture but she actually has a little backwards "apostrophe" mark on her forhead. I'll try to find a baby pic that shows it better. I can't take credit because my mom actually named her. I like the name though and I also always think it's interesting to know how horses get their nom de plumes! (sp?)

<,Is that YOU riding in that second picture?
>>

Yep, that's me on the dad (Armatur who was named when we bought him as a 6-month old -- he's out of the stallion Armin so I guess they were lookin' for something like that!). That was the last show I was at with him a few years ago before it became necessary again to wear a jacket in the jumper ring (hate that!).

Again, thanks so much you guys.

Kim

crazeejumper
04-30-2003, 10:23 PM
Wow, Kim, that must have really been awful! But it's great that you got Apostrophe back. Was this just today/recently? Are you going to keep her now? Man, if anyone offered to sell me a horse for $1500... :D I hope she doesn't sue you, but if she does, she must not be very bright looking at the facts here. On the other hand, it might be fun to watch her make an idiot out of herself in court. ;)

Pippin
04-30-2003, 10:35 PM
Sorry you had such a bad experience.I`m glad you have your mare back. Enjoyed seeing the pictures of your"family".

Ryde2rope
04-30-2003, 11:15 PM
I am so sorry that you had to go thro all of the frustration and anger. I am SO VERY GLAD that you have your mare back.
I have recently gone thro the same thing with a Team Roping Horse I had had for 14 years. I did a Feed Lease on him, had everything in writing...... THANK GOD for freinds that clued me in on to what was happening with him and a phone call that helped me get him back HOME where he belongs. NOT as healthy as he was when he left 2 years ago..but he is where he belongs..with me!!!! For his story see my web site>> http://ryde2rope.homestead.com/Red.html
I am so HAPPY you have your Mare home. I know that " MY Ole Guy" will never leave me again. I am Glad we both had "HAPPY " endings..:D

Bendaini
04-30-2003, 11:42 PM
Oh what a head ache...

My sis in laws both have horses and they each had to learn things like this on their own also... never EVER let the horse off your property without papers first...

Artful-equine
05-01-2003, 12:18 AM
OKay.... that story about your horse has me balling my eyes out right now! Too much emotion today. I am so happy for you that you got him back and I'm so happy for him that he got YOU back.

I do believe things happen for a reason. At least most things. A lot of the time we search for the answers and what the reason is, but nonetheless, there always does seem to be one in the end no matter how long it takes to find it.

All year I have tried to find the reason for the love of my life being sent like a shot from the skies into my life and then not working out. I don't know what it is yet but I hope I figure it out one day so my melting candy heart gets fixed eventually.

Now I have to find the reason this mare came back to me. There has to be one. There always is.

The trick is just living with the questions until those answers come along I guess.

Kim

Ryde2rope
05-01-2003, 01:53 AM
Kim...who knows why things happen like they do. With the way my life had been going...getting "Red" back was the only "joy" I have had in a long time. All I know is ...its NOT him that OWES me..but that I OWE him... Hes not quite the same horse that I left...but then I am not the same either. We both have new scars.. but having him back gives me memories of a"happier" time in my , his, life. Things happen for a reason.... and each day is a new one...

lorna12
05-01-2003, 03:34 AM
Kim, as I was reading your story, I started to get a real sick feeling in my stomach, until I read the part where you got your horse back. I'm so sorry you had to go through that but so glad it turned out well in the end.

Ryde2rope, I read your story, too and am very glad that you and Red are back together, where you belong.

Sure makes you wonder how anyone can be like that doesn't it??

Peggy Gross
05-01-2003, 07:39 AM
Kim,
Read your story, really a happy ending for you!! and your Horse!!
I hope you banned these "horse people" from your barn and passed the word around your horse community of what they tried to pull.

Apparently they had bigger plans for your mare to make them some money.

And 1500.00 for her was a steal if they were basically honest to start with, which they were not.

A good lesson you passed on to others.

Peggy G

myorca
05-01-2003, 07:51 AM
Kim,

I am sorry to hear you had to go through all of that. Anyone who can act like she did IMHO shouldn't be allowed to own an animal in the first place.

I am glad that you got your mare back, and I am hoping the situation doesnt drag on any further. Just say the word and I'll come over and thwap her with my cane!! :)

Bob

Artful-equine
05-01-2003, 03:27 PM
Just a wee bit of an update on my mare --
First of all, she's too thin. Not overly so, but she shouldn't be at this point. I had been having trouble keeping weight on her before she went on trial but when I had her teeth done right beforehand, my vet said she had a really bad right side and probably was having trouble chewing and that's why she wasn't easy to get weight on or keep it on. Well, that was in December and had they really been throwing the groceries at her, she would be fat by now.
I also got a closer look at her today (yesterday was just too emotional) and she's pretty scraped up on her one side so my trainer thinks she fell or something -- too many cuts and pieces of skin gone. In fact, I think I will be taking pictures just in case this does go to court.
The worst thing, however, was that when we got on her it was obvious she was totally body sore all over. She also had trouble stretching her neck out at all (she just wanted to keep her head up) and I KNOW why -- the couple of times I was there when they got on her they tried to put her in a pretty tight tie down. I asked them (actually - TOLD them) not to but I will bet donuts to dollars they didn't listen when I was gone. So, today when we got on, she was like -- "Hey, I can put my head way up here... COOL."
Anyway, she'll be fine. I actually think she was glad to be back in my care if you want to know the truth. She knickered to me today when I got there and then practically put her head on the ground so I could bridle her (the lady couldn't even get one on half the time).
Just sad that all of this had to happen.
Have a great day! And thanks again for letting me vent.

Kimberly

crazeejumper
05-01-2003, 05:31 PM
Kim, yes, take pics just in case you'll need them!! And get a written check-up by the vet too. Good luck & keep us updated! :)

Suzy78
05-01-2003, 08:54 PM
Unfortunately in my line of business, I hear of this type of thing all the time. Word of mouth, and the good old fashioned hand shake on a person's honor...and someone ends up killing a horse or breeding it when it shouldn't be or selling it when they don't even own it in the first place! What a horrible ordeal for you! Yes, it's a reminder to us all that we need to get everything in writing and keep copies in safe storage!

This weekend we're having a Quarter Horse auction (all 2 yr olds), and I'm in the process of making sure all the paperwork is in order for my part (registration, invoicing, etc.). We even pulled one out because she's a little greener than her peers. She'll be sold for private treaty. If any of you all are interested, be sure to stop by Penn State's Ag Arena on Saturday (bidding on horses starts at 2:30 p.m.). Minimum bid is $1500. Payment by cashier's check or cash gets you the registration and transfer papers. Payment by personal check means we keep the papers until the check has cleared. We'll have posters of research, free lunch, a polocrosse demonstration (assuming it doesn't thunderstorm!), and equine sciences and equestrian team apparel for sale.

Suzy

ironhorse
05-01-2003, 11:29 PM
Holy Smokes!
I'm SO impressd that you were able to keep a cool head and were able to get her back!
You go girl!!!!
Twyla

shedreamsbig
05-02-2003, 09:01 PM
Oh how horrible!!

I am so sorry that you had to go though that!! And her the poor thing she must have had a dreadful time.... I am so glad she is in the safe arms of you again! She looks so sweet and kind in her Photo!! I hope that lady goes to court!! That way you can Counter sue her for ANIMAL NEGELECT!! They should not be allowed to own any animals!! That is awful what they put her through!

I am so sorry that it happened but thank you for shareing the tradgic story!! It is a sad lesson that some horse people are less than honest and animal loving as the rest of us!

Give her a big hug for me!!:)

Chrisitna