PDA

View Full Version : Loose Puppy!!

silysara
04-30-2003, 02:55 PM
The irony of the title is that while painting this, my silly dog got OUT and I had to chase her down! She is a sweet little mini beagle. I painted this for fun, and the paint is still a little wet, please tell me where I can improve. As always CRITIQUE ME!!!

Sara

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2003/18315-Bailey.jpg

Islander
04-30-2003, 03:34 PM
What a nice little dog. A great attempt sadly in your painting he appears lack form. Soften the edges and vary the tones of his body and head to give him the appearance of a three dimensional form. A good way to practice this is to paint balls with different light sources and then apply the principles to your dog or anything you paint. The collar also would look more realistic if it was merged into the body of the dog because most dogs have a considerable amount of hair overlapping their collars. I've been a bit tough but I'm sure shortly we will be seeing a very appealing dog appearing on WC. Oh by the way take a look at the tutorial by Cyrille Jubert I think it may help considerably.

silysara
04-30-2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks so much!! She does look a little flat..... Here is the reference pic.
Sara
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2003/18315-Bailey_profile.jpg

Bill J
04-30-2003, 03:41 PM
I like what I see, similar to my dog but my dogs tongues usually hangs down more than this ones.
bill

I am "drawn" to Art!

mhimeswc
04-30-2003, 04:03 PM
I think you've captured him pretty well. No pun intended.

Michelle

M.A.
04-30-2003, 04:38 PM
Wow, I really like that. Especially like his face. Interesting, the way you've done the background, it has a movement to it.

Christie
04-30-2003, 05:01 PM
Nice beagle. Mine just walked by with an empty coffe cup in her mouth and me without a camera... :D

I think you need more darks to get the true beagle feel, but that just may be me and my preferences.

Strawberry Wine
04-30-2003, 05:46 PM
Sara: Very nice rendering of your Beagle and a fine looking girl she is. My first thought when seeing your painting was the tongue should be hanging down more but I see from your ref photo that is the way her tongue in reality. I would add more darks to the black parts of her coat , following the contours of her body with your brush strokes, not so wet in wet at this point.

After the paint has dried, take a very fine liner or rigger brush and add some hair lines over the collar and where the dark meet the lights in the direction the hair is growing to give her some texture. You have a good start with this painting. Islander has made some good constructive comments I would check out Cyrille's tutorial.

make some changes and re post. I am looking forward to seeing any changes you may make.

Gail

JanJones
04-30-2003, 09:09 PM
I like you dog, the ear looks just like velvet, soft effect.

artmom
04-30-2003, 09:21 PM
Sara, nice to see you asking so strongly for a REAL critique! :D That takes guts for all of us. You have received some great advice.

I like your painting, and IMO, if you look critically at the painting, and study the suggestions and implement the ones you feel comfortable with (remember, it's your vision) you will have a great learning experience and end up with a very superior work!

Looking forward to your postings!

Lyn

CharM
05-01-2003, 07:40 PM
Just one other minor piece of advice... You already have a photograph... What you want to create now is a painting... You are the artist and have the liberty to take licence with your reference photos... Do that!!!

p.s. He's a great puppy!!!

silysara
05-01-2003, 11:24 PM
Here is an update on my baby..... I did a little "hair" work. Better?
I feel like I have been going one step too far with my paintings lately.
Sara

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/18315-Bailey2.jpg

eelfish1
05-02-2003, 01:21 AM
Don't shoot me.... but I liked it before better! I like the softer effect, and thought you did a great job in the first place. Maybe could have scrubbed out some highlights or done it in more layers to reserve lights. I have the same problem doing my bassets, making it too dark too fast.

I like it though! Maybe soften up the hairs a with some water and a soft brush.
Dot