PDA

View Full Version : The Golf Course North

MKathleen
04-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Hi All:

Let's see this must be number 4 in the Antelope Hills Golfing Community series. This is just a section of the north greens without a golfer or golf cart. There is an indication of some of the villa's that line the course.
I used gouache opaque watercolor on 300 lb. cold press paper and the size is 11" x 14".
As always I value your thoughts and comments.
Best,
Kathy:)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2003/5343-TheGolfCourseNorthROBBINS.jpg

Jijo
04-30-2003, 03:22 PM
nice landscape, donīt see golf references (donīt mean golfcarts or playing people, but slopes or bunkers)
I like a lot the deepness and air of this quiet place (would like to be there palying)
May be you can let the tree shadows come across the road cause itīs a bit plane
Alex

Gilberte
04-30-2003, 03:26 PM
I like it Kathy !

al22
04-30-2003, 03:31 PM
Girl, you've been bizzy....... tis another very nice one........ I like your nice rich dark greens yet light and airy picture......
Well done......
....al

ripvanblair
04-30-2003, 03:41 PM
Nice peaceful scene, I like the colours-------well done-----------Alan

seedy
04-30-2003, 03:55 PM
This one is even better than yesterday's.....
I was'nt sure where that guy's ball was going to end up..
Agree with Jijo....even if there was a teeny weeny little white flag in the black background, and perhaps a tree not in the painting could be casting a shadow across the road....
The trees are very well done....except for the one in the middle that stops at the branches of the big one on the right instead of reaching into it....
Had the pleasure of taking a course from Tom Lynch in Vermont.
He is an avid golfer and does great golf course art. He showed us one of his works and someone remarked that they thought that the shadow thrown across the foreground was a somewhat large.
" yeah, well so's the condo" he replied.
There is a colour which is really appealing...coral?
Take care,
Brian

bswilson1147
04-30-2003, 04:20 PM
Very nice colors, trees, and shadows. I like the composition.:clap:

MKathleen
04-30-2003, 08:26 PM
Hi Jijo--Thank you for looking at my painting--the golfer and golfcart referred to another painting 'The Golfers Cart' which I have a thread in this forum. There is a cast shadow from the tree crossing the road far viewers left side. I guess I could have pushed the shadows a little more onto the road. I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Hi Gilberte--Thank you, glad you liked it.

Hi al--thank you too, I love to paint greens now there was a time I really tried to avoid them. Kinda hard if you want to paint landscapes. duh

Hi Alan--thank you, this is really a lovely older golf course and very well kept.

Hi seedy--thank you, I understand what you are saying about the middle tree brances reaching into the tree on the right. At one time I did have them doing that very thing. Not sure why I plainted them out, so I think I'll take another run at putting them back in appreciate your observation. I'm familiar with Tom Lynch and have watched him demo on TV--he is a good painter. The coral color you see is the terra cotta roof of one of the villa's I thought the additon of orangish color would be effective with all that green.

Hi Brian--thank you also, appreciate your comments.

Thanks again all,
Best,

Little Old Lady
04-30-2003, 08:30 PM
Very nice landscape. Great trees.
JoAnn

MKathleen
04-30-2003, 10:04 PM
Hi JoAnn--Thank you, I love to paint landscapes especially those with tree's.
Best,

babybrush
04-30-2003, 10:09 PM
so peaceful!! wonderful

Bethany

MKathleen
05-01-2003, 01:06 PM
Hi Bethany--thank you, yes this is a very nice golf course indeed. The grounds keepers really do a nice job of mantaining the grounds. I think the tree's really go a long way to adding to the beauty of the course. Where we're moving to has a golf course also, but not as established and therefore doesn't have the mature tree's which is so nice here.
Best,

CharM
05-01-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by al22
Girl, you've been bizzy....... tis another very nice one........ I like your nice rich dark greens yet light and airy picture......
Well done......
....al

'bout says it all! Well done...

Carrie
05-01-2003, 10:29 PM
very nice work here. Lots of variety in texture and greens. Good movement and depth. You must have worked out your values b4 hand.

Carrie

mccab42
05-01-2003, 11:15 PM
Kathy:

Great landscape. Golfing isn't nearly a peaceful and restful as the surroundings in which the game is played. You've picked a very nice spot on the course for such a restful scene. Nice composition!

Skip

MKathleen
05-02-2003, 12:18 AM
Hi CharM--thank you, I have really enjoyed our stay here in Antelope Hills, and I'm so glad I decided to record some of our stay in paint. As we'll be moving to the new house the end of next week my painting will cease for a while.

Hi Carrie--thank you, I usually fly by the seat of my pants where value comes in to play. Most often I can establish the lights and darks in the initial sketches. In the beginning of a painting I cover the whole paper with the objects local color then go back and put in the values.

Hi Skip--thank you, We have observed during our walks around the north course golfer's who's game isn't going their way. We walk on the shoulder of the road and almost became a casuality of a miss hit golf ball. It bounced on the road in front of us, over our heads, over a chain link fence into the air field! Whew was a close one to be sure!!!!

Olga
05-02-2003, 02:46 AM
Very nice landscape. I especially like the orangey roofs in the background and the play of light and shadow on the fence and lawn.
Wonder whether the tree closer to us should also have just a bit more contrast to make the light above fit the strong sun and shadow below...

Olga

MKathleen
05-02-2003, 06:04 PM
Hi Olga--thank you, I liked that effect of the terra cotta roof color and the various greens of the course. The tree you are referring to does have a lighter value the image just doesn't show it. I appreciate you taking the time to comment and for your thought.
Best,