PDA

View Full Version : Head or Tails

ironhorse
04-30-2003, 01:37 PM
Hay gang!

Well why do one oils when you can be working on two.
I started this years ago. I finally found it when I cleaned up the studio a few days ago :o It;s one of those painting you loose the reference for a few times before you finally find both of them together :rolleyes:
I had to take a break from Star so I thought I give this a go again. Worked on the background last night. LMK what you think. I'll post the feference too.
8"x10"

Twyla

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2003/2974-headsortails.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2003/2974-headsortailref.jpg

myorca
04-30-2003, 01:54 PM
Hi Twyla,

Sorry I havent been around too much lately to see what everyone has been up to. Star and this one are coming along GREAT! I am still amazed at anyone who can use a brush!!!

Bob

Paul Hopkinson
04-30-2003, 02:30 PM
Hi there Twyla! This is looking really great so far! I normally work in oils especially seeing as I'm doing two portrait commissions at the moment!
Getting any detail can as I'm sure you are aware be difficult. I always find I have to wait a few days for the paint to dry before adding any detail.
Have you tried underpainting in black and white first? This is how I paint my portraits. All the detail is done in grey scale first then when dry transparent colours are washed over the top allowing the detailed work to show through. At least you don't have to think about colour until the final stage. Plus underpainting white drys in half the time!
The only thing I can spot on your painting so far is the horizon or far distance. This to me looks a little to dark, by adding a touch of blue to help it receed and a shade lighter should give you a better feeling of distance.

Looking good!:clap:

Paul

crazeejumper
04-30-2003, 03:39 PM
I like the composition. Great start!

RachelG*
04-30-2003, 06:07 PM
This one is going to be great!! looks super so far!!

Pippin
04-30-2003, 10:12 PM
I think this looks really good ! Nice to see horses resting and enjoying the sun.

ironhorse
05-01-2003, 06:36 PM
Ok so I did a light glaze over the far background. Any better??
I also got the left horses face done.
Twyla
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/2974-heads_or_tails2.jpg

Paul Hopkinson
05-01-2003, 06:42 PM
This painting is really coming along and is looking great. I'm still not sure about the distant hills. If it was me I'd forget the sun shining on them and paint it darker at the bottom finishing with the lighter bluey green at the top to help it receed back.

I hate to pick fault with your work as it's so good.

Paul

ironhorse
05-01-2003, 06:44 PM
Oh please pick away a fresh pair of eyes are always needed! Beside I think you may be right.

Twyla...still dancin!

artcrazy
05-01-2003, 08:23 PM
gorgeous!!! Your oils are beautiful! This one is looking great!

Suzy78
05-01-2003, 08:59 PM
Love the pose! Interesting coat patterns on the horses, too. I can't wait to see it finished!

Today I went into the stall with one of the prego ponies, and she looked just like this! Had the halter on and everything, and had to convince her she wanted to stand up! She's getting tired of carrying her baby belly around. :)

ironhorse
05-01-2003, 11:18 PM
He he he I know just how she was feeling! I had a hard time moving around when I was preggers!
Whens she due?? I wanna see more baby pics!
Twyla

shedreamsbig
05-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Oh this a great photo and an even better painting!! Lucky you!! Really nice compisition!!

It looks great so far but what else could we expect from the You!! :D

I look forward to seeing more!!

Christina

ironhorse
05-09-2003, 11:55 AM
Finally got a chance to do some more on this. I'm almost done the closer horse. But the back one is giving me troubles. I think I've wiped it off three times now.:rolleyes:
Twyla
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2003/2974-headortials3.jpg

Suzy78
05-09-2003, 12:11 PM
Front horse looks great! IMHO, I think the gray horse's eye is a little higher up and more wide opened than in the picture, which is making the whole head look a little off. The muzzle looks really good! This is a really challenging position, and I think you are doing great!!!

Suzy

Paul Hopkinson
05-09-2003, 05:56 PM
Twyla there's nothing wrong with this. You know what it's like I think most artists get say half way through and feel as though nothing is going right and you feel like scrapping it. Well I do with all my work anyway! Keep going and all will turn out great.
As I said I cannot see anything out of place as your painting skills are really glowing in this one.:D

Paul

ironhorse
05-12-2003, 10:39 PM
Did a bit more on the today. Getting close to being done and getting the excited feeling.
I'm trying to improve the "white" appy face. especially his eye which I find ugly in the reference.
LMK what you all think.
Twyla

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2003/2974-headsortails4.jpg

pencils4me
05-12-2003, 11:55 PM
lookin good twyla, as usual!

TJ

ironhorse
05-15-2003, 06:40 PM
OK so I think I've got the "grey" appy done. Not sure I like the flea bites on his face or not?

Am I done. Should I do more detail to the greenery??

I re-did the far background is it better?? Worse??

Does anything bug anyone???

Twyla
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2003/2974-headsortails5sm.jpg

Lampburke
05-15-2003, 10:09 PM
....I'd give just a bit more detail to the grass, especially right around the horses. It would look very appropriate, and would draw your eye to the detailed horses.

echidna
05-16-2003, 01:14 AM
looks good to me! i agree with lampburke about the grass. maybe just pull out a few wisps near the horses?
~Echidna

ironhorse
05-22-2003, 05:40 PM
Ok so after the last posting I looked at it and hated the background. Funny how sometimes you do not see whats wrong till it's posted.
Anyway what do you guys think now? Is it done? Should I do more detailed grass??
Twyla

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2003/2974-headsortail5.jpg

crazeejumper
05-22-2003, 09:19 PM
The Appy's muzzle looks a tad big to me. And yes, I think more details in the grass would look better. Actually, I liked the darker background better. Maybe not quite that dark, but not as bright as the latest version either. Okay, I'm done nitpicking now! :D

Night Horse Studio
05-22-2003, 09:38 PM
Awesome as always Twyla! You never disappoint!

Stephanie

lorna12
05-23-2003, 02:48 AM
How come I missed this?*slaps wrist*

I love the compostion of this, the colors used and I like the slightly lighter version of the sky.

Way to go, Twyla! I love it!:clap: :clap: :clap:

shedreamsbig
05-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Theses appy's remind me of of my first horse!! I really like the realness of the horses... but the grass bugs me some.... But your the master of painting I am sure you will figure it out.... I like how it is though if you think it's finished!!

Christina

Paul Hopkinson
05-24-2003, 04:42 AM
Twyla this is looking great as usual. This problem you have got with the grass....what I'd recomend is extending the grass detail to both sides of the painting for the foreground and then gradually lessen the detail as it goes past the horse on the right. This should fix things.

I will try to find one of my landscapes to give you some ideas.

Paul

Leslie Pz
05-24-2003, 08:58 AM
Wow, this is wonderful. You've done a great job! LOVE IT!