PDA

View Full Version : Tiger in Oil

appydax
03-13-2012, 03:59 PM
It has been a long time since I posted any paintings, but thought I would share this one. The photo ref is from Mark Tiller and it is Oil on an 18"x14" stretched canvas. I am more comfortable with pastels but love the oils :heart:
Still waiting to come up with a title for this one too :confused:

I am sure I will find bits and pieces with it to fiddle with, but now isn't the time as I have just found out my little dog needs an operation to repair her patella (slipped whilst playing silly Billies outside) :crossfingers: and I know my mind won't be in the right place for a couple of weeks.

So feel free to give me something to mull over :thumbsup:

Sharron
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/5057/tigerfinished.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/tigerfinished.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

online art
03-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Hi Sharron,
I really like it - VERY nice. If you want something to mull over all I will say is that the rear / right of the Tigers back legs bother me a little, I wont tell you why as you want something to think about ha... see if you come up with the same as me :)

appydax
03-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks Jason, I will have a little looksee. I know he is sitting with the wing of his hip out, it is one of those things that will hit me in the face when my head clears...lol

Sharron

online art
03-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Yeah ... I have those moments too :) its not to do with the shape though :) good luck with your dog.

nickib
03-13-2012, 09:15 PM
" I Can't believe They Started Without Me " How about that? I love this Tiger, great job. And also good luck with your dog:)Nicki

KarenESP
03-13-2012, 09:21 PM
He is BEAUTIFUL

wildlifeart89
03-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Stunning work! I love those eyes! Will send prayers out to your doggy.:)
Paige

ArtbyPeggy
03-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Sharron this is beautiful!

Dave Hawk
03-13-2012, 11:08 PM
that's really nice

appydax
03-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.
Jason, spit it out...lol.
You know what it is like, you can see on other peoples but not your own unless you put it away for a while so you can see it afresh. The markings are a little off on the leg versus the ref.

Or, better yet....as I am distracted....let other people jump in and see if they can spot what Jason has spotted.....lol
Now, there's a challenge.....

Sharron

midcoast
03-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Sharron - this is absolutely lovely! It's my opinion that you NEED to paint in oils more LOL. You have a beautiful way with the medium.

I know what I would change with that back leg. It's just a nit but I think it will make a big difference. Do I have your permission to tell, or are we still waiting for others to figure it out?

Nancy

appydax
03-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Go on...be a :evil:....:lol:

Sharron

midcoast
03-14-2012, 03:30 PM
OK Sharron, here's my opinion on that hind leg. To me, the dark stripes are perhaps a little bit too dark and sharp, especially the one at the top of the knee...what's happening is that my eye is drawn there and stops because the darks are darker or more prominent than the dark of the stripes "closer" to the viewer (on the animal's chest). Basically, the stripes on the back leg are competing with the tiger's beautiful face for my attention. Softening the stripe edges on that back leg more would help, as would lightening the value of the stripes themselves back there. Darkening the lighter tones on that back leg too...all would help de-focus that area and keep the focus on the tiger's face.

It would also take care of a little "frownie face" happening back there too :thumbsup: (the two dots kind of look like eyes...).

It's a pretty subtle change to make but I think it would really up the impact of this beauty!

Nancy

appydax
03-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks Nancy, to be absolutely honest I looked and looked at this flipping leg and checked and checked the colours. Just checked again with the ref and also the painting and they both follow the same tonal path.
Used the colour picker on the laptop.

Because it was not my photo, I decided to trust and follow the photo for tonal intensity. My gut instinct is to follow the photo when I don't know sufficiently about the lighting/subject, which is what I did here.

I use a card with several holes punched out to check the photo ref. and also at the same time have the ref. on my screen so that I can enlarge, etc. if I need.

So I totally understand where you are coming from.........except *frownie face* :lol:

This is the trouble with using photos, they may *be* like that but it doesn't mean the painting has to follow......

Sharron

midcoast
03-14-2012, 04:13 PM
This is the trouble with using photos, they may *be* like that but it doesn't mean the painting has to follow......

Sharron

Exactly! That was a tough one for me to learn. Then one of my artist-friends put it to me like this...."At some point during the creation of a painting you have to throw away the photo and just focus on making it work as a painting." Easier said than done sometimes :cool:

I also think about it another way...our eyes see things very differently than a photo can capture information. It took me a long time to understand that but now that I do, I trust my eyes over the photo ;)

I'm serious though - this is a stunning painting!

Nancy

ArtbyPeggy
03-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Sharron how bout that bright highlight at the bottom, it's lighter than anything else on that back leg. I would also add some "hairs" into the black strip going down his outside part? That top strip looks slightly like it's further back than the orange it's connected to. I'm probably being as clear as mud :lol:
Just my twocents worth. I sure hope Jason comes back :lol:

thesnowybee
03-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Exactly! That was a tough one for me to learn. Then one of my artist-friends put it to me like this...."At some point during the creation of a painting you have to throw away the photo and just focus on making it work as a painting." Easier said than done sometimes :cool:

I also think about it another way...our eyes see things very differently than a photo can capture information. It took me a long time to understand that but now that I do, I trust my eyes over the photo ;)

I'm serious though - this is a stunning painting!

Nancy

funny...this is what the tutor at my art class has been telling me...and i didnt quite understand

appydax
03-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Yes Nancy it is a hard lesson to remember. Easier when you know your subject or conditions. Give me a dog and I can tell at a glance what is wrong or *out of whack*, my comfort zone...lol

Peggy, yes the dark strip at the top is meant to appear further away. The main problem is what Nancy is bringing up which would address what you have suggested. I will have a look in the daylight, but I am loathe to tamper with it now to such a degree.

Got to admit, I seldom change anything....fiddle yes :lol: ....major changes, nope. I just learn and move on to the next one. Except, I keep forgetting :lol:

Sharron

Barb'sArt
03-14-2012, 06:23 PM
It's a stunner Sharron!
I will agree with Nancy's input as to my eye being drawn right back there. That face is so wonderful, attention needs to be kept there.
I love it! and if you decide not to make any changes, it is STILL a wonderful painting!:thumbsup:

aRt4us
03-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Here is a wildlife painting that shows a similar stance.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2012/82849-00tiger.jpg

Hope this helps
Painting joy
Gary

appydax
03-15-2012, 05:10 AM
Ooh that is a stunning painting Gary.

Sharron

aRt4us
03-15-2012, 05:25 AM
This is the talented work of Paul James http://www.pauljamesgallery.com
An artist I admire.