PDA

View Full Version : lunch sketches

seejay
04-30-2003, 08:26 AM
Danny's sketch got me out at lunch today - beautiful weather too.

Cabbage tree palms - the tallest ones of these must be around 15 metres, I guess. Had to be quick doing this so I didn't get a stiff neck!;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2003/6409-lunchsketches4.jpg

The other day I was out sketching, and came across a couple of goannas making the most of some sunshine; both were just under a metre in length. Had to be even quicker with these guys, they weren't going to stay still for long, and I couldn't get too close or they were going to bolt. I need to sketch animals a lot more...it is fun, just wish they would stay still!;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2003/6409-lunchsketches2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2003/6409-lunchsketches3.jpg

Cheers

Nicolart
04-30-2003, 08:39 AM
Hey Chris,

These are great sketches! To actually capture that iguana in that short time is awesome!!! Looks great...

Keep it up!!!:clap:

BTDogMom
04-30-2003, 10:47 AM
These r really cool, what's even more cool is that u r able 2 c things like goanna's on your lunch break. That's awesome, great sketch of them 2 !!:clap:

artdude
04-30-2003, 11:18 AM
I think it's great that you find the time to do some sketching on your lunch breaks. I find it to be an important part of any artists work. Keeping a sketch book with quick sketches is an awesome learning tool. I really need to do more of that myself. My hat's off to you Chris for making the time to do this :D:)

els
04-30-2003, 12:47 PM
Nice sketches Chris, the palm trees are very good...

drwells
04-30-2003, 01:30 PM
Funny thing Chris, I hate the palm trees here in AZ...But I love the way your draw yours. :D

The goannas remind me of watching The Rescuers Down Under with my daughter there is a big bad goanna in that toon. :D

Arcanjo
04-30-2003, 06:28 PM
:) Chris your sketches are nice. as usual. I specially like the lizards: lots of movement!

seejay
04-30-2003, 10:39 PM
Thanks everyone.

Just went outside again for lunch, but mosquitoes were biting me - my wife has just caught a nasty viral disease that is spread by mozzies, so I came back inside; suppose I'll be wary of them for a while...didn't see the goannas today!;)

I haven't been finding enough sketching time lately...but I agree with Murray, the more you do the better.

Danny, I think that cartoon show needs Steve Irwin to handle that 'big bad goanna'!:)

Cheers

jjsangel
04-30-2003, 11:16 PM
Hey Chris, great sketches. I agree with BTD. I was thinking, it is so cool you can just go outside and sketch things like goanna's or maybe roo's or kowalas. That is just tooooooooo cooool to think about. I had lots of lizards when I lived in Florida, but wasn't a member of WC at the time, so It never occured to me to sketch lizards. The only things I see here in Kentucky are cows and horses. Have seen a couple of snakes here on the farm but I don't want to sit and sketch them......!!! It must be so interesting to live down there...:D Oh well, keep up the good work..:D

seejay
05-01-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by jjsangel
Hey Chris, great sketches. I agree with BTD. I was thinking, it is so cool you can just go outside and sketch things like goanna's or maybe roo's or kowalas.

It isn't too easy to spot wildlife, as you probably know. I got lucky that day; it's mainly birds at lunchtime, and they don't sit still at all.

I can't remember ever seeing a koala in the wild, and kangaroos aren't much more common either around town. (No self respecting kangaroo would be out in the sun at lunch time anyway, just us silly humans and reptiles!)

Thanks and Cheers!

Dahzl
05-01-2003, 07:18 AM
I love those Goannas - we call them Race-Horse Goannas here in West Aus!:D Big and Fast! - and I love your sketches! Lovely and loose and expressive!

Well Done!! I really enjoyed viewing these.

Cheers Dahzl:D

P.S. Do you get any Bob-Tails in Queensland??

seejay
05-01-2003, 07:31 AM
Thanks Dahzl. These goannas were quite small, else I wouldn't have gone near them!;)

Do you get any Bob-Tails in Queensland?? What's a bob-tail???:confused:

Cheers

Phillip
05-01-2003, 07:38 AM
Hi Chris
Lovely drawings

seejay
05-01-2003, 07:46 AM
Thanks Phillip.

I should have gone home and worked on a picture in the shed, but no, I'm wasting valuable drawing time sitting on WC!

Cheers

Dahzl
05-01-2003, 07:50 AM
Bob-Tails are kind of short and stumpy looking - I've seen them up to about 12'' or so long - they are fairly wide; have a triangular shaped head; black tongued; and their bodies have nice patterns and markings -scales. Quite a lot of them get run-over on the roads and killed unfortunately
- They can be quite friendly especially if you feed them tomatoes or strawberries.:D They absolutely love the stuff!!
I used to live in the hills area - just out of Perth -where there was a lot of natural bushland- and they are very common-place there.

I must look up the proper name for them one day! Anyway I hope that answers your question.

Cheers Dahzl:D

Phillip
05-01-2003, 07:51 AM
LOL

I see there is a project on ink & wash, I might join it.

be a few days before I will have a chance to post anything though.

seejay
05-01-2003, 07:58 AM
Dahzl, they sound a lot like blue-tongue lizards, except for the tongue colour of course! Don't get them around here, around Brisbane I think they get lizards like that. They sound much friendlier than goannas!;)

Phillip: yeah, join in, should be fun.

Dahzl
05-02-2003, 05:15 AM
Ahh! Blue Tongues - silly me:D Their tongues are quite dark smoky blue I used to think they looked black.:D Our blue-tongues have a very short stumpy tail - Hence the name Bob-tail Goanna actually - :D

Oh well I was just being curious- so thank you for that:D
Mean while I really enjoyed your sketches!

Cheers Dahzl.:D