PDA

View Full Version : Veronica

artinoils
04-30-2003, 12:49 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-30-2003/7970_portraitveronica5_6.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Veronica
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 20 x 16 approx.
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Worked over 2 classes...was happier at end of first. Should have left out the hands...only one other in class included them...spent too much time on them when I could have done more with the face. The composition with the hands attracted more than just the head and shoulders.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything? The good, the bad, all welcome.

ElizaLeahy
04-30-2003, 04:35 AM
It's GOOD you put in the hands. Too many lazy artists leave them out. When I was modelling I always tried to make sure my hands were in a possition where they had to be drawn.

Get really good at hands and feet and everything else will be easy!

I like your painting and I think you are heading in the right direction.

You could try lightening up your tones a little. I always make them too dark to start with too

jerryW
04-30-2003, 06:53 AM
hands are great
in fact they set up a good counterpoint to the face.
the blue upright leg could be worked into the colorscheme better
or the painting could be renamed the blue knee.

ElizaLeahy
04-30-2003, 07:22 AM
I don't think that's a knee Jerry, it's the arm of the chair.

But the colour is a little intense compared to the rest of the composition.

Luzie
04-30-2003, 09:09 AM
Another great one, just beautiful. Hands work for me.
At first I also thought the blue was a "jeans-knee" but on second look knew better.
Wonderful work and please...more:D

mattlart
04-30-2003, 09:22 AM
God,..I hate to be repetitive,...but,lol,...we all seem to be in agreement:)..The hands are a great addition to this painting,..and I'm glad that they're included. And yes, the chair leg also reads like weird-shaped blue jeaned leg to me as well. BUT,..Jeez, that's easy to fix. Like you say,...tone it down,..reshape it a bit. Overall,...I think that you've done a terrific job here...... Cheers,-Scott

Paintonbrush
04-30-2003, 09:25 AM
nice structure. I agree with hands. I did not read the arm rest as anything but an armrest tho. nice work

artinoils
05-01-2003, 02:33 PM
Eliza, I had everything lighter in the first session...but accurate color is what is desired in the class...dark skinned woman against a dark background in a black shirt.

jerry, LOL at blue knee...since that's what I saw in DJ's.

Luzie, Ok so the blue thing detracts...:D

Scott, it's done and I'm done with it...class piece...moving on;)

Diannne, glad you saw it for what it was. thank you.

bocote
05-01-2003, 10:19 PM
hehe. I thought that was a blanket over the back of the chair. The deap shadows red and brown set back the stern look of the subject to reflect more. Nice fight between the complements of color and negative area. One little blurp in the upper left background says, "hi, I am a triangle".

great stuff and keep up the good work.

have fun,

bocote

artinoils
05-02-2003, 04:03 PM
bocote, thanks for pointing out that blurp. You are right about the blue.:D

artbabe21
05-03-2003, 11:04 AM
very poignant...good hands...:)

pero lane
05-03-2003, 03:47 PM
I saw the blue for what it was (armrest)...had to go back to see what blue knee that was! :D Overall it's very riveting, Iget the impression of sadness, perhaps it's just the dark tones. I like this one very much!