PDA

View Full Version : Georgia: Callaway Garden Event News

llis
04-29-2003, 09:38 PM
Who: Us of course
What: It's a paint-out get-a-way
When: May 1 -8
Why: So we can all meet each other and have fun painting, drawing, photographing and talking with those that we have met on-line.

Plans in a nut-shell:

Anyone can come to the paint-out. You don't have to paint or even be an artist to enjoy the gardens. There is so much beauty in the gardens and they are always having special activities to enjoy. Come and take the tour and find your quiet place in the butterfly house, or walk the garden paths. Bring your notebook and do a bit of journaling while you are here. It will be a fun time to met those that you have been talking with on-line.

Come meet Malarkey, West, Bobby, llis, Paintfool, Carly, Marsha Savage, Ruth, Diane Johnson, Aurora, SGT, Judy, Diana, Katie, Linda, Barbara, and so many more. I know I'm leaving out about 10 of you guys..... sorry... I'm old and all my parts don't work.

Those arriving on May 1, 2003 can purchase tickets at the gate. You can get an individual ticket for just one day or a two day pass or if you are staying longer go ahead and get an annual pass.

Ticket prices vary so do check out www.callawaygardens.com to see where you fit in. Also be sure to check with Malarkey if you want to try to pool your money and buy a group pass.

Each day we all will come into the gardens when ever we can. Do stop first at the Discovery Center and pick up a sheet each day that will tell you where we plan to meet for lunch each day.
The information desk will have these ready for all of us and they want our stay to be really great. Ask them anything about the gardens and they will be happy to tell you how to make the most out of your stay.

Thursday will be our first paint day. The gates of Callaway open at 9:00. Most of us plan to be there at 9:00 when the gates open, but don't wait for us if we are late. Go in and go directly to the Discovery Center and you may find some waiting there for you. If not, pick up the sheet and that should tell you where we are for that day. Thursday we will paint close to the butterfly house on the nature trails to the right of the building and picnic at the tables across the road from the butterfly house trails.

Most days we will be close to the butterfly house and gardens. There are picnic tables there and we plan to stop for lunch around 1:00 as that is when the sun is most high. We're chasing shadows, you know. :) Some may scatter out in the gardens, so if you want to have the best chance to see everyone, please do check in and have a snack with us at the picnic tables each day, or where ever the sheet says we will be at lunch.

We will be leaving the gardens around 6:30 each evening. On Saturday night there will be a group dinner in the Plantation Room at Callaway’s or the Country Store.... we will take a vote and decide which way everyone wants to go when we meet back at the Discovery Center a little before 6:30. We do not have to have reservations at either place and both places can accommodate a large group. If you want to eat dinner with the group.... just be at the Discovery Center before 6:30.

Other group meals may be planned, but the daily sheet you pick up at the Discovery Center will tell you what the plans are.

Can't wait to meet you all.... here are a couple of pictures I took today. My camera is really acting crazy and most of the shots did not turn out well, but I wanted you to have a sneak peak.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2003/11-pathroddies.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2003/11-pinks.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2003/11-walkroddies.jpg

baquitania
04-30-2003, 07:44 AM
Llis: will this strange man in shorts be dining with us?

B:Dbby

CarlyHardy
04-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Bobby, that's one of the really live looking statues in the gardens...you'll see them all over the place!

:D

llis
04-30-2003, 12:49 PM
Yeah.... and just wait until you see the ants. :D

paintfool
04-30-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by baquitania
Llis: will this strange man in shorts be dining with us?

B:Dbby
Bobby!!! That's Scott for heaven's sake so be nice!! :evil:

TinaLee
04-30-2003, 05:46 PM
This is a question for those of you who plan to "do art" while at Callaway, and will be accompanied by your spouses, partners or friends who are not artists.... What are their plans for stuff to do while you're planted in one area for a while, making your art? My husband wonders if he might get bored with just wandering the gardens while I paint (he's more comfortable moving around than sitting in one place). We've been to Callaway recently, but still know only a tiny bit about what there is to do while there.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,
Tina

llis
04-30-2003, 06:11 PM
Golf, skeet shoot, bike, canoe, butterfly garden, hike the trails, take the tour, visit the discovery center, sign up for a class, tennis, (my favorite: lounge), visit Pine Mountain antique shops....and more I can't think of. I dont' think the beach is open yet, but it's just fun to ride around the gardens and explore all the twists and turns. He he gets real bored, he can always go visit Warm Springs and go to the Little White House that Roosevelt stayed at when he came to receive therapy...among other things. :)

If he likes to read, it woud be a great time to start that novel that he's been putting off. Let him be your scout and ask him to go find really cool places that would be great to paint.

JustjoGA
04-30-2003, 06:24 PM
Oh, Woe!! Another WC! get-together that I will not be able to attend! Maybe next year for my birthday .... I am so excited for all of you... and look forward to some great stories, photos and paintings to come from this.... Enjoy, everyone

CarlyHardy
04-30-2003, 07:58 PM
Fishing! there are boats to rent and he should bring his own gear. My husband fished for 6 hours the last time I was there with him!!:D

llis
05-01-2003, 09:39 PM
At least some of the group has arrived tonight! Already pigged out on fresh fried catfish, coleslaw and hush puppies...yummy!

Tomorrow we rock and roll in the gardens! Wish all of you were here with us!
Llis, Carly, Diane, Barbara, Linda, Marsha, Maureen

Mich451
05-01-2003, 11:14 PM
I sent all my hugs and kisses to you with Mal

llis
05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
Still having a wonderful time.

We had about 30 at the dinner last night. It was wonderful to see everyone and today we will have blast being able to paint together. Wish y'all were here! :)

For those anywhere close to Callaway Gardens, Georgia.... we are meeting at the Discovery Center for lunch today, Sunday, April 4. Bring your lunch or eat at the cafe... and do the meet and greet before we go out to paint! See you there.

BevL
05-04-2003, 09:12 AM
Where are the photos? You post and dont show photos?
Llis Llis Llis.... do you know how long I have anticipated this getaway?!

For those of us poor souls who cant be there and have to live vicariously through you, POST THE PHOTOS will ya?

Bev :angel: :evil: :D

DanaT
05-04-2003, 08:50 PM
I AGREE!!!

(ps, get one of Bobby, will ya? He's kinda sneaky tho, so ya have to catch him quick!

TinaLee
05-05-2003, 11:04 AM
Last night I returned home from Callaway after spending a bit of my weekend with a bunch of really great people. I arrived in time to meet much of the group at the Discovery Center, and then out to dinner at the Country Store Kitchen, where more folks showed up. We filled several tables and chowed down on good southern food (their fried chicken is to die for!) and laughed as some of the northerners learned the finer points of southern lingo and cuisine. ;)

Yesterday was spent painting and exploring around the Gardens. I did my first two plein airs ever, and discovered the limitations of my loaded-up luggage cart when navigating bumpy trails through the woods and down stone steps! (*note to self: need more bungee cords!) Luckily, Paintfool and I were looking for a painting location together, so she (and two random hikers) helped me put everything back on the cart after it had spilled down the stairs. :o
We ended up painting with Carly and Marsha along a stream, and were joined by SGT, Judy, Malarkey and husband, Bobby, West, Paintfool's husband, and eventually, Llis and Linda. Not all were painting; some were hanging out, and some were sketching the painters. It was hard to leave after such a good day!

As I left the Gardens to drive home, I passed by several artists who had set up in the fields outside the gates at 6:00 PM, who planned to paint until dark.

I do have pictures (including those infamous ants!) and will post them soon, after I get them resized for WC!

DanaT
05-05-2003, 05:19 PM
Thanks Tina for the update. Looking forward to the pics.

paintfool
05-05-2003, 07:29 PM
Made it home today after driving a round trip total of almost 900 miles! Nap time!
Phil and i had a great time and i'm sure everyone else did as well!
Tina forgot a few details of our trip down the wildflower trail together. Yes, some very kind strangers did help us pick her things up after we dumped them (several times ;)) but those same strangers also stopped some 20 minutes later and told us the 'quicker' way to get to where we were headed. Now why couldn't they have told us that in the first place! LOL!
She also forgot to mention the tornadic weather the night before! Bobby was scared witless. :D
I'm so tired right now that i see two monitors but we will have plenty of pics!
Thanks for checking in Tina! :)

Lance562
05-05-2003, 07:45 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed meeting everyone at the paint-out on Friday. It was my first attempt at plein air painting! I had a great time and learned a lot…wish I could have gone back for more! For those of you who asked for pics – here’s Carly:

DanaT
05-05-2003, 10:35 PM
that's looking good carly and i like your new hairdo!

more, more, more!

pencils4me
05-06-2003, 01:39 AM
Sounds like you guys had a blast! Really looking forword to all those great pics!

She also forgot to mention the tornadic weather the night before! Bobby was scared witless.

:eek: Wow! this is something I just can't imagine! ;) :evil: :D ROFLAO!!!! Bobby you must disturb the weather gods when you travel.... did it bring back memories?

See you guys soon!

TJ

diane555
05-06-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by pencils4me
ROFLAO!!!! Bobby you must disturb the weather gods when you travel.... did it bring back memories?

Does this sort of thing happen to you a lot Bobby??? Don't go to Ontario in the summmer!

I'm waiting for pictures too! (particularly the ones I heard about on the phone :D )

Di

DanaT
05-06-2003, 09:59 AM
so bobby brings bad weather? now i know why it was warm and sunny in new york this weekend! did you just come back, bobby? it just started raining. lol

after that tantalizing hint about diane's phone conversation, now i really can't wait to see the pics.

pencils4me
05-06-2003, 10:30 AM
Does this sort of thing happen to you a lot Bobby???

ROFL!!!

after that tantalizing hint about diane's phone conversation, now i really can't wait to see the pics.

me either!

TJ

ArtWench
05-06-2003, 11:41 PM
Oh man! Wish I could have been there! I spent the weekend getting ready for teacher appreciation week at my daughter's school and getting my daughter gussied up for recital photos. Why I thought rolling up that child's hair was a good idea when it forms a ponytail thicker than a polish sausage is beyond me!

Anyway, if last night scared Bobby.... What about today? LOL! Heck, I wasn't too easy in my skin today and I've lived with this nonsense all my life!

MALARKEY
05-07-2003, 01:06 AM
We're home safe and sound :) and had a blast...

here's a picture when Canada meets Florida ;)
dodger and malarkey

baquitania
05-07-2003, 01:52 PM
For the record this "fear" only happens when Cheryl & Mal are in the same state with me... so it's really their fault! :p

baquitania
05-07-2003, 02:25 PM
Another WC member "helping" me...

DanaT
05-07-2003, 02:43 PM
Ack, Bobby! What happened to your tinyhead? :eek: Did you have a sex change? LOL

Callaway sure is a powerful place. I'll keep my anti-sex change shield up next time I go. La Dana is definitely better than Le Dana.

baquitania
05-07-2003, 08:38 PM
DANA!!! :p :mad: now quit giving away my secrets... by the way did you see them BIG ANTS in Georgia... now THOSE scared me for real... (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=106054)

Bobby

Ivyleaf
05-07-2003, 09:15 PM
In light of the fact that there may be lots of photographs that everyone will want to share from this event, and the fact that Mal asked for it and bobby promised to help fill it,

I've added a new section in the Reference Image Library:

Georgia Getaway, May 2003 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showgallery.php?cat=546&thumb=1) under the "Getaways and Gatherings" Category. It's empty at the moment, so please feel free to fill it up with those wonderful getaway photos.

:) :) :)
Ivy

ArtWench
05-07-2003, 10:35 PM
Aw, man! I am soooooo jealous! That had to be an absolute blast! Did you get to meet my buddy, Judy? You would know her by her long silver hair and brightly colored palette... awesome talent! Geeze.... It was only a two hour drive from here; but, I just couldn't swing it.

DanaT
05-07-2003, 11:38 PM
Great idea, Ivy! Keeping all the pics in the reference library makes them easier to find and look at. I really like the captions under the pictures. They make it a lot easier for us to figure out whos who and other stuff. You don't know how confusing it is to see a pic with all these interesting faces you think you recognize and the picture is titled "Untitled".

llis
05-08-2003, 11:49 AM
I'm home safe and a little less than sound.

It was a wonderful get-a-way and I was soooooo pleased to meet everyone. The girls staying with me at Blackberry Ridge just left this morning and I was really sad to see them go. The house seems empty and much too quiet.

Anyway.... I know that many of you will be looking for all those get-a-way pictures and, of course, Bobby's cartoons! I think Bobby's went on a sketch marathon while he was here learning to eat Southern food and get use to seeing all the LARGE ants and other bugs found all over Callaways. Shiver... and be afraid even when looking at the pictures everyone posts.... they are NOT retouched photos........ (you would have to be here). *smile* Only those that were here and really understand the true impact of "site first time" no matter how many times I warn or warned everyone.

Glad everyone is checking in. It's good to know when you make it back home safe.

DanaT
05-08-2003, 12:16 PM
Thanks for keeping us posted Llis. I sure hope to make one of these WC getaways!

Ya know, this trip would be a good subject for a WetCanvas article. Have any of you thought of doing a WC article with pics?

I'm sure one of you has got to be a good storyteller. Especially with all these Southern ladies. ;) And from what I heard in the threads there are some good ones to come out of this trip.

Anyone interested? I'll help to put it together but I wasn't there so the stories and pics would have to be yours. :D

It would be a fun momento for what seems like a great time of art and sharing.

baquitania
05-10-2003, 09:57 PM
Here Dana:

this was the sign at the Wild Life Safari Park, West, Mal & Ray, and I went to... one of those drive thru ones... place felt like Jurassic Park...

DanaT
05-11-2003, 12:13 PM
:D bobby! New York must seem like a letdown after that. LOL

llis
05-20-2003, 02:19 PM
Hey: I've been really working hard at my real life job and haven't had much time to get back and post some things.... here is one of the paintings I did... splashing between the rain. :)

Pastel on Wallis 11X15

http://www.phyllisfranklin.com/callawaypath.jpg

I enjoyed doing this plein air, but I have to tell you, I had lots of help from Diane Johnson and Marsha Savage. Thanks so much!

MALARKEY
05-20-2003, 03:16 PM
wow llis... you sure did capture the beauty there !

my plans for today is to add to the reference library... more of the gardens, the wildlife safari and some from paintfool, west and I at Silver Springs this weekend.

ArtWench
05-20-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by llis
Hhere is one of the paintings I did... splashing between the rain. :)

Looks great Llis! You really captured that GA shimmery after the rain look!