PDA

View Full Version : Red Poppy

mhimeswc
04-29-2003, 07:40 PM
Last summer I took a great photo of a red oriental poppy. It looks just like the ones Georgia O'Keefe painted. I couldn't wait to get it home and do a painting from it. Then, the more I thought about it, the more I thought it would look like I was trying to copy O'Keefe. I still want to paint this poppy, but I need some ideas on how I can make it my own. Should I try to abstract it? (not sure exactly how to do that). Would painting it on rice paper or Masa paper make it look "different" enough? I also thought about collage, but I don't really know enough about collage to pull it off right now. Any other suggestions?

Michelle

CharM
04-29-2003, 08:23 PM
Michelle... I am just as new at this as you are... So, here goes... Since the poppy is a reference from YOUR photo, go ahead and paint it... Your style will come through... If it ends up looking as though you tried to copy Georgia O'Keefe, then imitation is the best form of flattery?????

What's the worst that could happen? Try it the way you are comfortable with first... Then, you could experiment with abstracts or collages...

artmom
04-29-2003, 08:26 PM
CharM said it all:D

Lyn

rebus
04-30-2003, 03:59 AM
CharM is right. You'll never develop your own style if you don't try. But as a beginner myself, I know that copying other pictures is a great way of learning to paint - afterall that's what the masters did. Working from life and photos is just the next stage. You could always do a set of six: Do the same subject but approached in six ways. For example pen and ink, wet-in-wet, dry brush, realistically, colour study, tonal study etc etc....

Nitsa
04-30-2003, 07:21 AM
Oooooooh, a red poppy!!!!!!
I agree!....Go ahead and paint it!

Here's a thought.........If you shared the ref picture with us we could all paint it and then we could all help you out explaining if you were questioned about it! LOL! :evil:

Uschi
04-30-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by mhimeswc
I couldn't wait to get it home and do a painting from it.
Michelle

Michelle, there is your answer!!!! You paint it the way it has inspired you. All O'Keefe did is paint a macro oriental poppy there is nothing that says that you can't paint a macro oriental poppy. O'Keefe did not have exclusive rights to oriental poppies and if yours looks like hers CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Uschi

pampe
04-30-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Uschi

Michelle, there is your answer!!!! You paint it the way it has inspired you. All O'Keefe did is paint a macro oriental poppy there is nothing that says that you can't paint a macro oriental poppy. O'Keefe did not have exclusive rights to oriental poppies and if yours looks like hers CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Uschi

ditto

all art is repetition...just like all literature is

mhimeswc
04-30-2003, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I am not a beginner, I've been painting watercolors for about 11 years, and do lots of flower closeups. I love Georgia O'Keefe's poppy painting, and have always wanted to paint one myself. When I saw these poppies growing I took several pictures, and only got one good one. It would make a great "O'Keefe". If I were a beginner, I would have just painted the darn thing. But I started thinking that everyone would think I was just copying her painting, and her style. I still wanted to paint it but needed to do something "different". I'm going to put the photo out where I can see it every day and see what pops into my head. Maybe I will end up just painting it straight anyway. I promise to post whatever comes out of this poppy photo.

Michelle

al22
04-30-2003, 03:55 PM
.......just do it.......!
.......al