PDA

View Full Version : Lounging Gryphon in Micron

vantid
04-29-2003, 06:52 PM
A gift for a friend's birthday, his gryphon character lounging and looking oh so regal. Mostly 005 Micron Pens, and the foreclaw is....bad. I suppose he's been injured? And his wings are far from being anatomically correct, and his beak is at an odd angle. Inking is not my thing I believe.

http://vantid.dolphinparadise.net/tagbday.jpg

drwells
04-29-2003, 06:56 PM
Inking is not my thing I believe.

I'm thinking you are not allowed to say that anymore!! :p This is very good. You just seemed to get a little excited about your foreshortening....You've created wonderful textures and ink definately complements you... Draw more! Post more!!

Danny

kitaye
04-29-2003, 07:04 PM
I'm with Danny. You are allowed to post more wonderful pen and inks. This looks great. It's easily as good as the illustrations in the book "The Black Gryphon" and the artist in there is a pro.

MonicaB
04-29-2003, 07:42 PM
No, no, you are NOT allowed to post more pen and inks. You are REQUIRED to post more! :D This is very good. I am sure your friend will love it, esp. if he is into gryphons. Let us know his reaction. And get busy on the next one! :)

BTW, what size is this?

Gutshot
04-29-2003, 08:38 PM
um... just thought I would assure you that the above comments are not just being polite. It looks great. Wish mine looked that good.

DragonladyfromOz
04-29-2003, 08:49 PM
The wonderful thing about creating/re-creating fantasy creatures is that NO-ONE can tell you they are wrong 'cause they ain't seen one!:D As the artist you may see what is 'wrong' with a picture [and I am a prize winner in the guilt stakes with that one!] but I am absolutely certain that the simple fact you put pen to paper for your friend's birthday will impress them soooo much they wouldn't care if it was just an ink blot.
Aside from that, this is far from being an inkblot :D I reckon that the combination of unusual pose, variety of texture and fanatsy creature works extremely well together to make this a great piece. I didn't notice the beak angle because I couldn't get past the 'Just try me...' attitude expressed... great look for a Gryphon :clap:
Inking not your thing - HA!
Can I tell you when my birthday is??? Heheheee :evil:
Can't wait to see more posts.
Cheers
D'lady

seejay
04-29-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by vantid
[B]A gift for a friend's birthday...the foreclaw is....bad. I suppose he's been injured? And his wings are far from being anatomically correct, and his beak is at an odd angle. Inking is not my thing I believe.

Don't believe a word of it! This is a good piece, your friend should love it for a present.

Inking is your thing (and mine too, if you don't mind.;)). Believe that!

I've never seen a real live gryphon, so I can't comment on the anatomical details you are worried about!;)

Cheers

cnfwriter
04-29-2003, 10:57 PM
Add my vote to the ones already given above -- this is nice work. The artist is always the most critical of his/her own work. This is a fine piece of inkwork though. Well done. I do hope you post more!!

BTDogMom
04-30-2003, 10:10 AM
...the foreclaw is....bad. I suppose he's been injured? And his wings are far from being anatomically correct, and his beak is at an odd angle. Inking is not my thing I believe. No more smoking crack 4 u, this is gorgeous. And I would really enjoy visiting the zoo that u go 2, I have never seen a gryphon in real life, so I can't say whether his wings r anatomically correct, but whether or not they r, they seem 2 fit him very well (who'sever wings they r). As far as his beak, u did a great job on portraying it, u can't help how he looked at u when u took the picture, the angle may be odd, but u did a perfect rendering of it, especially from the horrific reference photo you had. His foreclaw is just fine he may have hurt it, as I understand gryphon's have unusually large claws and they r always getting in the way of things. They have a terrible problem with stubbing their toes...I mean claws. And as far as u believing that inking is not your thing, u may want 2 re-evaluate your religion and adopt on opposite belief system....Gawwd, I really need 2 get out more.:rolleyes:

MonicaB
04-30-2003, 11:07 AM
Gosh, we missed you, BTDM! You crack me up . . .

artdude
04-30-2003, 11:25 AM
Some well deserved praise for your Gryphon drawing vantid!! :)

INK IS YOUR THING!!! :clap:

Love your pen work. Some VERY GOOD shading in this!! :D

:clap: PLEASE DO MORE!!!! :clap:

jjsangel
04-30-2003, 10:52 PM
Hey vantid. Don't give up on ink. Your ink work is great. Ink is definitely your thing. Beautiful job on the feathers, on all of it actually. Keep posting some more..:D

mel-ink
05-01-2003, 07:38 PM
Kewl griffin!! Please post more of your work!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

vantid
05-02-2003, 09:43 AM
Well you people sure are encouraging.

Monica: Its in a standard size sketchbook...9x11?

He liked it, I think. He loves getting pictures of "himself" so even if I drew said inkblot and attached some sticklegs and wings he'd still like it. :3

BTDM: You make me giggle.

I will try to make more ink works...I'm not entirely comfortable with the medium.