PDA

View Full Version : Would Like some honest help, please

stodbw
04-29-2003, 06:38 PM
I'm sure you have all seen the Lion Cub in the Tree picture before. This is my first attempt at water color and as you can see, I am having some problems.

First I need advise in creating a smooth background for the picture. You can see each time I dipped my bush. Any advise on any thing here will be appreciated.

Grayeagle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2003/20219-mgcubbie.jpg.jpg

andylavallee
04-29-2003, 07:14 PM
Firstly welcome to the watercolour forum, and as its international where we are from determines what kind of color (colour) you get. Thats the welcome now Im afraid I have to tell you what you need is a wash:D . if you go to watercolour intro page and look at Rod's instruction all will be revealed . enjoy

Strawberry Wine
04-29-2003, 07:17 PM
Hi Greyeagle:

Your lion cub is very good. I love the expression you have given him.

Backgrounds always give me grief. so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I think you have too much of the same colour values in the background and it is competing with the cub. Try wetting some areas and lifting the paint to create a cloudy effect. The lion cub is in a tree so it would be nice to have seen some kind of leafy green stuff as a background. Not too much you can do about that this time around, I don't think.

I am sure that some of the others will pop in to advise further.

Gail

Jprice022
04-29-2003, 08:12 PM
Welcome aboard Grayeagle-

I like the cub. As for the background Andy is correct. You will need a wash. You might want to practice on some scrap watercolor paper. It isn't too hard to learn.

artmom
04-29-2003, 08:33 PM
Cub is excellent--and you have received excellent advice. Keep posting!

Lyn

JanJones
04-29-2003, 08:34 PM
The cub is great, love his face. Please post again after the wash.

CharM
04-29-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Strawberry Wine
Hi Greyeagle:

Your lion cub is very good. I love the expression you have given him.

Backgrounds always give me grief. so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I think you have too much of the same colour values in the background and it is competing with the cub. Try wetting some areas and lifting the paint to create a cloudy effect. The lion cub is in a tree so it would be nice to have seen some kind of leafy green stuff as a background. Not too much you can do about that this time around, I don't think.

I am sure that some of the others will pop in to advise further.

Gail

Good advice Gail... In addition, he might consider taking a soft paper towel and gently blotting the damp paper to help create the illusion of some clouds...

pampe
04-29-2003, 10:56 PM
NICE TO SEE YOUR WORK!!

yes...Andy has told you the truth...you need to learn to do a "Wash"...check out the instructionals and old threads

cub is great...especially the eyes and face

PAINT MORE!!!!

Bill J
04-29-2003, 11:56 PM
I may get shot but paint the backround black and you willsave a great pic. NEXT TIME TRY MASKING OUT THE AREA WHERE THE CUB IS AND DO A WASH BACKROND AND LET IT DRY COMPLETLY THEN FINISH PIC--yOU HAVE A GREAT STARTS

Aselka
04-30-2003, 12:24 AM
Very cute cub. It is really good for first watercolor.

I agree with Bill. If you want a smooth even background then just outline cub with masking fluid, let it dry and then wash backgound. You also have very "dry" background, where i can see brush strokes. Add much more water.

Smotth background is nice but it is more ineteresting to see various colors.
For any sucessfull background water is important.

Good luck in your art,

Aselka

mhimeswc
04-30-2003, 12:36 AM
Cute cub in a nice composition, but the blotchy purple background needs to go. One solution would be to see if you can lighten, or loosen it up with some water. Let it dry completely, and then mix up a large puddle of blue try doing a flat wash over it. A little of the purple may show through to give it some interest. Another solution is to go over it with black as someone suggested above. Sometimes backgrounds are the hardest part of a painting.

Michelle

jaytee
04-30-2003, 03:27 AM
[i]Sometimes backgrounds are the hardest part of a painting. [/B]

Oh So true :D NOthing to ass to ehat the others have said but especially wanted to mention the eyes......... they're really melting me :D

stodbw
04-30-2003, 07:17 AM
Okay. You did what I asked you for --- gave me more information that I needed and I truly appreciate it.

1. I will go to the WASH thread and read up on that,

2. What is MASKING FLUID? Where do I find out about that,
and by the time you read this maybe I will have found in on the
instructional thread.

Thank you for being kind in your critiques . . . .

Let's soar with the eagle this day.

Grayeagle

Nitsa
04-30-2003, 07:26 AM
Not great with animals, so I can't offer anything there...Sorry! (Looks dead cute to me tho'!)
As for smoothness in the background, I have learned that it really helps to keep the surface wet....Wet it up with plain clean water and then "drop" your colour in and let it spread out a bit, touching other shades/colours along the way.
OR
Mask out the rest of the painting first and then do a wash of colour on the background (quite wet) moving left to right, each line picking up the line before.

Hope that makes sense and helps in some small way! :rolleyes:

Nitsa
04-30-2003, 07:29 AM
Sorry....didn't see your reply there.....Masking fluid will be listed on all good art stores as a watercolour MEDIUM, it's off white or blue in colour and dries like elasticated gunk (for want of a better word. LOL!) you simply paint it on (using an old brush NOT a good one) and let it dry, then you can paint right over the top of it, then allow the paint to dry completely and remove it to reveal the paper/drawing underneath.
Costs around 5 a bottle over here in the UK!

Darren
04-30-2003, 03:16 PM
Grayeagle,

You've already gotten more great advice than I could have given to begin with. As for "having some problems"...I could tell it was a lion cub (and not a monkey) right away, so I think it was a great start!

darren