PDA

View Full Version : Self-portrait, Grasmere.

Zarathustra
04-29-2003, 06:05 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-29-2003/9583_self-portrait-lakes.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Self-portrait, Grasmere.
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: A4
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Self-portrait in graphite to commemorate one-year of self-taught drawing.
I think there are a few subtle proportions on the face that could have benefited from tweaking and I'm not too sure about the angling of the right arm.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any critiques welcomed.

jerryW
04-29-2003, 06:17 PM
it has bite
part of the angle thing with the arm accentuates this bite
it bites into our vision
it is a really good thing to have this angular penetration from the 2-d rectangular surface into our souls.
nice work.

artbabe21
04-29-2003, 11:19 PM
really well done and you should be quite pleased...:)
for some reason I SEE such hope in your eyes...

Zarathustra
04-30-2003, 08:22 AM
Thank you Jerry - I'm glad you think it works.

Hi Cathleen, "hope"; yes I think there was melancholy mixed with a glimmer of hope, but not an abundance. It was about 10:30pm, the moon was shining between breaks in the clouds, bats were flying overhead, and I was high up in the fells alongside a crystal, ebony waterfall... There is so much beauty in that kind of solitude... I based this drawing on that evening, though the self-taken photograph I have of it is very dark due to the low-light conditions.

mattlart
05-01-2003, 09:08 AM
This is a powerful image. The eyes do mesmorize.
Regardless of the angles,..it seems to me that accuracy in "photographically rendering" is FAR less important than the content or emotional impact of your image.
Loving the countryside throughout the UK as I do,..I'm personally glad that you've included the rolling landscape of your environment in this piece! Nice work:p -Scott

HSargent
05-01-2003, 09:23 AM
I'm impressed. I don't have the patience to work on a face and then add the background which certainly contributes to the story.

But my screen shows some vertical lines (3) in the sky. Is it just my screen?

Zarathustra
05-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Thank you mattlart, and I agree 100% that emotion is more important that accuracy. Have you been to the UK very often?

Thanks HSargent.
I'm looking, but I can't see three lines. There is a very faint one about a third of the page across from the left. That's because the paper is a fraction larger than A4, and I have an A4 scanner and so had to scan it twice and join the segments.

artinoils
05-01-2003, 02:46 PM
The eyes have it...like the background too. Expression of hope. All working nicely together.:)