PDA

View Full Version : Lummi Island Beach

Sylvielu
04-29-2003, 04:30 PM
Strathmore 12 x 18 140 cp ...Lookers, critiquers, and commentors are always welcome as usual.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2003/2752-LummiBch.JPG

Yorky
04-29-2003, 06:09 PM
Nice composition, Sylvie, but I think the sand looks rather too bright?

Doug

jti
04-29-2003, 07:31 PM
Hello,

I like this alot. I think the colors are esp well put together. The yellow behind the trees is very good and the greens in the trees are nice. Critique: I'd try to make straighter strokes in the water - it looks like the earth is very small and the water is already curving at the papers edge (to me). The shadows in front of the trees are nice in blue, but maybe less vibrantly so. And finally, the darker (snake like) strokes on the sand (i'm not sure how these shadows should best be painted - never done a sandy beach with those kinds of shadows - but one thing that somemone here suggested that I've found VERY helpful (probably was Rod - he's always giving good advice) - was to not let a stroke have had edges all around. If I make a snake-like shadow in the sand - at least 1 or more part of the shape should be touched with a wet brush that may have simply water (I find this nice) or a weak shot of some other color in it. This prevents even a strong well defined shadow from becoming simply stick-like. This has probably been the best general advice I've gotten in my time with WC - so, take it for what it's worth.

Nice painting - keep up the good work, jti

Sylvielu
04-29-2003, 07:35 PM
Thanks I am going back now and darken the sand. I don't know if I can do anything about the snake like lines but I will repost as soon as the paint dries.

Sylvielu
04-29-2003, 08:42 PM
I went back and darkened the beach also I'd like to explain the blue shadow on the wood going up into the trees. I was trying to use William Lawrence's technique. He often uses shadows to convey shapes without drawing or painting the whole object.

I find his work fasinating. But I have to practice more. I hope this looks better.
Also the painting was done using a photo I took while getting ready to watch a beautiful sunset on Lummi Island a couple of years ago.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2003/2752-LummiBch2.JPG

CharM
04-29-2003, 08:55 PM
Sylvielu, your painting style is always very loose and vibrant... Your painting has an impressionist feel to it that I like... I have tried to think whether or not you should do any more to this... I think you should mat and frame it at this point (IMHO)... If you keep trying to adjust it, you'll end up overworking it and lose the very style of yours that I like...

artmom
04-29-2003, 08:59 PM
Hi--this is a nice composition.

Question: at the very tip of the point of the sand, is that supposed to be reflections of the trees? IMO, If so, it is not reading correctly--the reflection colors are wrong. Are those rocks in front of the trees on the right? If so, they need more modeling. Also, the bottom of the log going into the trees needs some darkening (on the log) at the bottom of it. Remember, all of this is my opinion!!!

I agree with jti's comment on the water. I also agreed w/Doug about the sand, but I think you went a little too dark with it. Can you lift some in spots?

Sylvielu, may I suggest that you wait for more critiques and comments before making any of the changes that I have mentioned--then you can pick and choose how YOU want your painting to look.:D

Sylvielu
04-29-2003, 09:52 PM
Thanks again. Charm I want to get even looser! And I'm glad you like vibrant colors as I do. You see I have very poor eyesight and I see things better when they are bright.

It's like many of the big guys (technique book writers) say, look at the shapes and not the objects.

Artmom it took about 60 sightings of this before anyone said anything. So I didn't wait for other answers....I guess I need to learn to be patient.

Yes that's supposed to be reflections. I messed that up early on in working it. No those are not rocks but the end of an old tree.

I am not a realist.

mhimeswc
04-29-2003, 10:27 PM
Okay, I just tried to post a comment and it wouldn't go through, so I'll try again.

I'm probably one of the people who looked but didn't comment this morning. I checked out all the new paintings this morning but didn't have time to comment on them.

This is a very nice landscape, and I like the composition except for the log that directs my eye right out of the painting. However, since no one else mentioned it, it is probably not a problem.

I liked your sand color before you made it darker. I'm not a fan of Skip Lawrence's painting. I liked his earlier work, before he started using such bright, almost loud colors. However, he is a good teacher, and I'm sure you will learn a lot from his books.

I like your color and texture in the trees, and I especially like that sunlit rock. All in all, a good job!

Michelle

Yorky
04-30-2003, 07:24 AM
So sorry I didn't explain myself better Sylvie. :rolleyes:

When I said your sand looked a little too bright I really meant the colour was to saturated and should have been paler. However I take on board your eye problems and applaud you for tackling the subject.

As I said before, the composition is great, and if you aren't happy, why not turn it over and do another on the back? You can then pick the best.

Doug

capricorne
04-30-2003, 10:22 AM
Good afternoon Sylvielu,
This is my problem with the painting: the sand leads the eye into the picture, and at the end there is nothing..I think a silhouette of a boat on the horizon can bring some visual action in the painting. I have also a problem with the small calligrafical spots of color. In my view that gives a 'draw ed' look instead of a 'painted' look. I think the use of a broad brush can help.
For me the colors and values are ok.
Hope you've got something on this critique, if not forget it! :-)
Best regards
Jan

Sylvielu
04-30-2003, 10:22 AM
Thanks again Yorky and Michelle. I want to redo this and when I do I will keep all the tips in mind and rethink my approach. The critiques are very useful and helpful. It shows you care.

I will give it a rest for now then come back to it. :cool:

Sylvielu
04-30-2003, 10:24 AM
Thanks Jan. Your advice is helpful too. But then again if you think about it thats what water is......sometimes there is nothing but emptiness there and the wood is supposed to be the inpact area.

al22
04-30-2003, 11:44 AM
A beautiful scene. I like the way you've done the trees.........
........al