04-29-2003, 02:44 PM
My first "commission" by my children :)

It's already on their wall.

Any thoughts? Oversights?
Please critique.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2003/17217-parrot250.JPG

coffee_girl3000
04-29-2003, 02:46 PM
:clap: Excellent! Very colourful and like the composition. Can't critique, it's fine as I see it. Bet your children love it.

karenjh
04-29-2003, 02:58 PM
Nicely done. Looks like you did a great job drawing out this bird before you painted it - looks good!

artmom
04-29-2003, 02:58 PM
Ale--excellent!

Ale, IMO you would get truer and more useful critiques if you would post your paintings before putting them on the wall. It is possible that some of us don't bother to critique or comment when we know that the artist considers it fine enough to already have it matted, framed, or hanging LOL. We're happy enough to give out Attagirl/boys (because we like them, too) but with the volume of posts on this forum, it's the folk who ask for input either during the painting, or when they are not sure if they are finished that get my attention the most (for what that's worth :evil:

Lyn

ale.l
04-29-2003, 03:08 PM
Ok, thanks for the "attaboy"s;

Artmom, you do have a point, though, as I said, it was for my children and they wanted it on their wall - regardless of the Forum's opinions.

On second thoughts, on the wall or not on the wall, I don't see why it can't be critiqued for future reference. If you personally think this is wasting anyone's time, the "anyones" out there need not comment hung pictures. No offence meant, but I did feel rebuked for a trifling matter. To me, a painting is a painting and it doesn't matter if it's hung or not.. never crossed my mind to divide people in that way.

Gilberte
04-29-2003, 03:10 PM
It's very nice and you were right to show it to us ... good continuation !

manwat
04-29-2003, 03:15 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Excellent picture. Glad you posted it. Is it a pet? if so where's it's mate?

Well done

Peter

Rich Williams
04-29-2003, 03:18 PM
Ale good use of contrast with the light against the dark and the dark against the light. The bird is very well rendered and looks real, which says that you took the time and the effort to make it anatomically correct.

For future reference here is a small point you might consider.
You have used all hard edges in you work around the bird, you might want to consider using a soft edge or two so that the bird becomes part of the setting rather than sitting on top of it. As an example the birds left wing on the top has a great highlight and as it moves down it is almost the color of the leaf behind it.
At this point a soft edge would move the color of the bird into its surroundings.

I could be all wet in this but it is my opinion for what it is worth.

Rich

artmom
04-29-2003, 03:40 PM
Ale, I'm sorry you felt as if I was rebuking you. I thought that you and I had established a relationship as I have commented and praised everything that you have posted. Your work is very good. As I said, it was my opinion, not anyone else's. It is so hard to always communicate with the written word. I'll shut up now!

Lyn

ale.l
04-29-2003, 04:00 PM
Hey, let's forget it :angel:
I was oversensitive and it probably IS the written word! I read again what you said and saw it in a different light with the LOL and little signs showing that you were not "p.... off" with me but meant a genuine opinion.

Let's bury it, shall we and continue our "relationship", please.

Yorky
04-29-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by manwat
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Excellent picture. Glad you posted it. Is it a pet? if so where's it's mate?

Well done

Peter

Come to think of it Ale, you usually see thm in pairs :D

I like your signature pic - your paintings re outstanding.

Doug

Starsprite
04-29-2003, 06:22 PM
WOW! Beautiful bird! I used to have a pair of these before the cat decided to....well.... just don't have a cat if you have these birds. Great job!! :) :clap: :clap:

Strawberry Wine
04-29-2003, 06:26 PM
A good point to remember Lyn and you are right Ale it is VERY EASY to misread the written word. There is no body language, voice inflections, smiles etc etc.

Nice to see you both worked it out using the WRITTEN WORD.:) :) :)

Gail

artmom
04-29-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by ale.l

Let's bury it, shall we and continue our "relationship", please.

Consider it done, ale!:)

Lyn

JanJones
04-29-2003, 08:26 PM
Beautiful bird, I know the children will love it.

Crystal Owl
04-29-2003, 09:43 PM
Hi Ale,

I had to look at this one since I use to breed lovebirds and handfeed them. Your colors are spot on blended very well. The only nits I have are that the beak is a tad too long and the feathers are tattered looking. If you meant for the feathers to look like that then I take it back :) .

Love birds have very short beaks they almost form a "C" similar to an Umbrella Cockatoo. You'd know it if you've ever been bit by one it hurts like hell! LOL.

Irene

ale.l
04-30-2003, 04:50 AM
Thank you all for comments.

As for its mate - we were told by the seller that if we bought two they would be enough for each other and wouln't play with the children, however, one is very social. And it's true. It's like a person when we let it out of the cage. It chases my son around the room and never leaves his head.. bites his ears and nibbles at his buttons ... quite amusing and a happy bird when OUT. I hate to see it in the cage but that's life :(

Crystal Own you are right about the beak and feathers, but that's the unpredictibility of watercolor. My daughter spotted that immediately but i didn't want to fuss too much for fear I'd spoil ..

Lyn, how are you this morning :) Special greetings for you :cat:

Yorky, thanks for the tip about the signature pic... it took me a little fiddling with powerpoint, then into paintbrush then into ACDSee, resize, crop, copy, paste.. you name it.. but i succeeded :)

Enough for now, it's a sunny morning and I must go out. Will go to the Adriatic Sea for 4 days now, can't wait! You want me to bring some pix from there, it's a wonderful coast !

artmom
04-30-2003, 05:03 AM
Considering I only had three hours sleep, I'm doing well thank you! Thank you for the special greetings!:angel:

Lyn

P.S. Enjoy your trip--and I could really use some close-up pics of doors--I'm beginning a series on doors. When I went to Italy and visited Florence, my favorite thing to do was just look at the doors and wonder what was behind them! Crazy, huh? LOL

els
04-30-2003, 07:56 AM
Very good job...