PDA

View Full Version : And yet another Spinone WIP-Brown Roan

Barb'sArt
03-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Hi Alll,
I hope I am not boring you with all the Spinone Italianos(Spins) I've been doing!
No, I haven't become obsessed:smug: (although this is a lovely breed).
I am preparing for a showing at the Spinone National Speciality show to be held last week in April, which is being held near me.

So, in order to have enough paintings of this breed to show the exhibitors, I must paint Spins, paint Spins, paint Spins, Spin paints:lol:

Anyway, here is my latest WIP of an adult brown roan. Ref. credit to Tracy Davies/monticani spins.
Another pastel, 8 x 10 on Ampersand.

First WIP photo-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2012/190936-Brown_Roan_Spinone_wip1.jpg

WIP#2-
Worked on the BG a bit more, and now am focusing on the dog's head. The BG will remain a bit blurred, bringing necessary detail only to foreground., and of course, the Spin!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2012/190936-Brown_roan_wip2.jpg

As always,
CC welcomed!

*AquaMarine*
03-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Looks great, Barb! Fun to watch it develop!

ginny

Dave Hawk
03-11-2012, 11:10 PM
you got some great color nice looking eyes looks great

Barb'sArt
03-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Thanks Ginny and Dave, nice of you to peek in!

Another slight update, I fiddled with the nose a bit as it was looking off to me. "pruned" the foliage above the dog's head as well, and worked on the fur. I will work on it more tomorrow(must get my beauty sleep:angel: )-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2012/190936-Brown_Roan_Spinone_wip3.jpg

CC's most welcomed!

Colorfur Critters
03-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Looks great as it is! I think these dogs are pretty cute.
I wonder if they drool a lot, I can imagine their "beards" all wet.

nickib
03-12-2012, 12:26 AM
His expression says it all!! I love him. The fur is exquisite!!:clap::clap:Nicki

KarenESP
03-12-2012, 09:05 AM
I've never seen any of your paintings before. This is gorgeous, thanks for posting

Barb'sArt
03-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Lola- Thanks! but I have more to do, glad you like!
Yes, Spin owners tell me that one of the necessities for having this breed is a "chin towel". they are quite the droolers!

Nicki- Thanks you! I'm working hard on the fur, hope it continues to go well.

KarenESP- Thanks for stopping in to view my WIP! And thanks for your much appreciated comment! I've done 4 other Spinoni thus far. All are posted here in A&W. Here's the links if you would like to look-

"On Retrieve"- http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036802

"All Tucked In"- http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1029352

"First Duck"- http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015682

retitled "Caught In the Act"(see final revision on second pg. of comments)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1007042

I will have another update hopefully late today, thanks again for viewing and comments.

evartpat
03-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Wonderful portrait...the fur is just lovely...:)

Winky'sMom
03-12-2012, 02:33 PM
I've enjoyed them, they are great subjects, and you have portrayed them beautifully.

FaeLynn
03-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Wow Barb, I love this one!!!

NRC
03-13-2012, 11:50 PM
This one is my fav of your 'spins' so far. Coming along wonderfully ... will watch for updates.

midcoast
03-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Looks super! What an interesting-looking breed - I'm not sure that I've actually met one in person :) Best of luck to you on your upcoming event too!

Nancy

Barb'sArt
03-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Thank you all for your very kind and encouraging comments.
Unfortunately, work on this painting has come to a screaching halt.:eek: :eek:

I have been dealing with a issue that has arisen with the ref. photo contributor.
Firstly, a mistake had been made, by me, as to whom the photo should have been credited to(long story, but summed up- I had an assistant helping me to catorgorize contributed photos and this one got misfiled), which ISN'T the issue! The photo credit goes to Nikki.
That was resolved days ago, I just couldn't change/edit my OP.

I had been in touch with the photo's owner, double checking(not trusting the assistant now) and yes, they had given permission. So, I had started the painting(as you all have seen).

Then, they email me, I would assume it is because they have realized I will be showing my work at the National Specialty(here in US, they are in the UK).
They now have a list of demands-
They want the dog's Registered name(which again she is a reg. British dog), their kennel name, and their names as owners to appear ON the painting as well as any prints I might chose to do in the future:eek: . I feel that would not just undermine the chance of an anticipated sale by a USA exhibitor, but also it might offend since this is a USA show!

I have been emailing back and forth for 2 days now(no other work on the painting), trying to get them to understand that I will not and CANNOT honor their request.
What I had and still do offer, first- a free print of the painting, second- is that in a separate description of the painitng, I would have spoken of the subject,
I was willing to inclued her full Reg. name, their names as well as their kennel name, just not ON the painting(or future potential prints).
I have painstakingly, tried to explain that this has the potential to offend the USA exhibitors, as this is THEIR show that I am honored to be able to show at!

All of the other photo contribtors have been honored to have the opportunity to have a bit of publicity for their dog (again in a separate description of the painting of their photo ref.), while the painting is being shown at the National.

Not this contributor, they want me to "advertise" their winning dog(which is a wonderful win, this I DO understand!), and push that fact on the US exhibitors. Heck, they even emailed me again strongly suggesting that I also inclued the apparent fact that- another head shot of their dog was just published in a Dog magazine

I had chosen their head shot as a model(with their original permission), due to the fact that even I could recognize what I wonderful specimen of the breed she is. I am painting her representing not just a good specimen, but a good Brown and Roan specimen.

So, at this point, reading their latest insistants, I have emailed my response saying just what I have told you all, and that I politely decline the use of their photo as per their new restrictions for it's use.

Being an ex-exhibtor of Great Danes, I KNOW how dog show people can be. I also know that as I have been honored to be able to show my work at this show, I will NOT do anything that might offend the showing exhibitors.
So, the work I have into this painting is down the drain, and I will move on to the next.:(
What do you all think? I'm angry that they have changed course, they should have made their now demands clear from the get go, don't you think?

Maybe I should suggest that if they want their demands met, then they should first purchase the yet unfinished painting, and then I will happily meet their demands! Of course, it wouldn't then be on exhibit. LOL!

lotsofsmoggies
03-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Personally I would have offered the painting as the gift for using their dog as ref.

Us Brits are a funny bunch it would seem. :rolleyes:

Barb'sArt
03-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Oh gosh, I hope I haven't offended anyone, not my intent!
I have just recieved another email and i think we have finally come to agreement.
I will be putting a label on the back of the painting with the dog's reg. name, as the subject.
Whew! Crisis diverted!:lol: :)

Crias
03-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Sounds like you will have to just take the loss of your time and move on. I agree that any stipulations should have been set forth before you began. It could have been nice publicity of their dog without the over the top of having the name, kennel name, yada, yada ON the front of the painting. I can understand maybe on the back, but think it would detract from the actual painting to have it on the front.

Annie about all I can say is you must not be making much money with your paintings if you think that she should give the painting to them for use of the photo! LOL... no offense intended, but Barb has spent countless hours and would never recoup those by just giving paintings away. She already said that she offered them a free print (which is often my agreement too on the rare occasion that I use someone elses photo).

Anyways can't really offer any real words of wisdom but I would set it asside and not spend any more time on it at this point. If they see that you are not going to finish it at all then perhaps will be more reasonable (though I wouldn't count on it). Best of luck!

lotsofsmoggies
03-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Oh but sometimes you have to spend it to accumulate it so to speak. :thumbsup:

:clap: Glad the silly people have come to a better solution for you. And you certainly wouldn't offended anyone on here, I'm a Brit and proud to be nutty. :lol:

Barb'sArt
03-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks for your input Cathy! This has certainly taught me a valid lesson.
But, in this case, i hadn't yet seen this breed in person, so I really had no option but to rely on ref. photos of this breed.

Good news is that at the show, I will certainly be taking MY own ref.s and will not encounter this issue for this breed again, LOL.

Annie, I didn't mean to ignore your comment, I think I was typing as you were. I realized my post might seem like I was "down' on these people, which I'm not. But, as Cathy has pointed out, I cannot just GIVE all of my work away.
I am already donating one of these paintings to the show's raffle. It's a Spinone pup painting I did( WIP here on A & W). And, BTW, that photo contributor is just THRILLED as her kennel name will be mentioned. She has already been sent a print of that painting.

Barb'sArt
03-14-2012, 05:42 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: I just had a rather funny thought,
I guess these people really must trust that the painting will turn out well as a good likeness of the breed...otherwise...well their dog's name will now be labeled on the back:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lotsofsmoggies
03-14-2012, 05:53 PM
And so they should. :lol:

Can't remember who wrote it but I'd be proud to have anything I'd painted to be on someones wall. Mine is no where near good enough to be paid for! :lol:

artsask
03-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Your painting is looking lovely, I was thinking that if they didn't agree that could have been the donation as only things being paid for need permission?? Not sure but if they have come to some sort of agreement the whew!
I guess maybe a lesson to get a signed agreement in future so you don't come up with this sticky situation again if you do need to use someone else's reference. Everything seems to be a learning curve, and when you have spent countless hours on your work what a shame not to be able to use it. Best of luck at your show.

Barb'sArt
03-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks artsask, but I did have an agreement via email.
no matter, it's been resolved, and yes, lesson learned:) . As to being able to even donate a painting that you have painted using a ref. photo that isn't yours...the answer is no. W/O permission for it's use, you might get away with doing a painting for your own private enjoyment, but not recommended.
Now on to a wee bit of an update-
I worked the mid and foreground a bit, will now concentrate on the dog.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2012/190936-Brown_Roan_WIP_4.jpg

JennyMK
03-14-2012, 09:10 PM
I am so glad that it turned out well in the end, and it is looking fabulous so far!

nickib
03-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Wow Barb, sounds like you have been put through the ringer this past week. I am sorry, I am not familiar with exhibitors and contributors and such. But it sounds like in the long run, you did the right thing.

Barb'sArt
03-14-2012, 10:51 PM
Thank you Jenny and Nicki.
After more...errr....consideration, I have decided to chuck this painting.

So, I'm sorry to have such a lengthy thread with no finish, but there will be no finish of this painting. My apologies to all that have been following.

PatrickHedges
03-15-2012, 03:50 AM
Just caught this one - wow, superb!!

skappy
03-15-2012, 04:43 AM
You did a wonderful job as usual Barb I do not understand those people attitudes to bad it got you disgusted but anyway you own the painting and it is beautiful as usual tough luck for them
Robert