PDA

View Full Version : <<<<DAILY WASH>>> Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Olga
04-29-2003, 02:42 AM
Hi all,

I thought I'll start today since I haven't done so in a while.

Last night I uploaded a bunch of photos of Paris into the RIL. (Some of which have been somewhat improved thanks to Doug who taught me how to straighten out buildings--Thanks, Doug)

Rain here in Amsterdam today and if I plan it irght, I might even get to paint some later in the afternoon.

Have a lovely day and keep you brushes wet

Olga

artmom
04-29-2003, 02:53 AM
Good morning, Olga. I'll have to check on your Paris pics! Hope you get to paint this afternoon.

Good morning to everyone else who shows up!:D

I'm actually back up this early. Went to bed at midnight, woke two hours later and couldn't go back to sleep, so here I am--roaming the boards. I'll try some hot milk and see if that doesn't lull me back into the arms of Morpheus! LOL

I have several references I want to paint from, my own and also some others. I haven't found one that strikes my fancy yet, so I may do the second one in my "Thread of Life" series.

Happy painting or whatever!

Lyn

andylavallee
04-29-2003, 02:55 AM
Good morning Olga and everyone else, running late this morning so just a pop in, enjoyed class last night really basic stuff but a chance to check out what I think I know, Lovely day here today, got a rambling group this morning,sorry cant stop see you all later.

have a good day all

lyn lynch
04-29-2003, 02:59 AM
Hi, Olga!
How nice to see you this morning. I'm going to bed now. I know you don't make it too often these days but think of you and happy to see when you do post.
That Dougy really something, he can straighten buldings!

Yesterday Shim had haircut, comb, and shower. Felt so good afterward, he was Chuffed! He looks so good, this is 2nd shower since I got him 5 weeks ago and starting to look and smell clean.

Shim has friend at doggie park!! A big very gentle dog name Annie, who is in love with him and so gentle to play w/they run and when Shim lays down Annie lay her head on his tail. They playing and another BIG DOG comes over and tries to play too, nipping at and playing and Shim takes exception and gave him double barrels. What a surprise! Has never done that! But that little monster dog still after him and won't let him play so Shim says you don't play either, I guess.

I have to take a break from the portrait exchange, (7) is enough for now; I need a break from realism attempts--this not my bag. I start another old man thinking as a study for full sheet, like BIG DOG was. But, this I doing just as face and if I like how it turns out, then I will draw it in a pose similar to Big Dog work.

I have too many works floating around in my head. LOL. So happy to have lots of references to choose from. Tomorrow I have to devote much of day to volunteer job and likely much for rest of week. I have PO tomorrow and doggie park, but that's about it. Oh, maybe I put away all laundry from last (2) weeks. ;) So nice to have no accountablity some times.

Have a good day all, see you tomorrow. Auntie.

madmum
04-29-2003, 03:15 AM
Morning washers :)

Freaky weather here, was expecting rain all week but sun is shining!

Olga, I'll check out your Paris photos :D I still have alot more to put in RIL, uploading good quality images takes so long I'm doing it in batches. Already in RIL are numerous of 2 Davy lamps, lots of fairground merry-go-round (with those lovely fairground horses!), church and lych gate and some castles :D

Lyn, I still have to search out your thread of life and mask paintings, will pm you with any comments rather than bump them up the board if that's ok with you?

Andy, it can't hurt to review techniques before you get to the nitty gritty :) Keep us posted!

Auntie, glad Shimmi has a friend :) Sounds like your care is helping to build his confidence. Looking forward to seeing your paintings from Joe Majury ref. ;)

Today I have to decide what to do. Ought to shop but :p to that (didn't go yesterday either - bad madmum ;) ) Kids can eat all the food from the freezer before I re-stock :D

Hugs

Ruth

artmom
04-29-2003, 03:20 AM
Ruth, PM is fine--I just want your feedback. Your WIPs have inspired me so much! You can find them more easily in Abstract/Contemporary and Animal/Wildlife forums.:D

Thanks.

Lyn

mchew
04-29-2003, 03:40 AM
Hi fellow washers,

Just painted my first Chinese painting and I'm off to do a couple of sketches for the commissioned Chinese Zodiac Series (looser and using Chinese ink and watercolour) but I think I'll do it on watercolour paper instead of rice paper.... feels like its ripping apart when I draw on it.

Olga, I'll go and look at your photos later... should be nice.

Lyn, sorry you had trouble sleeping... a glass of hot milk should be good. hope you're asleep now ;)

Auntie, glad Shim found good friend... and you are good mummy, giving Shimmy nice haircut and shower... no wonder Shim attract new friend...

Ruth, I hate shopping too... did you train your kids to cook for themselves?

Happy painting and have a nice day everyone

artmom
04-29-2003, 03:44 AM
Thanks, Marvin--but the milk didn't work!

Now I'm trying camomile tea:D

Lyn

madmum
04-29-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by mchew

Ruth, I hate shopping too... did you train your kids to cook for themselves?

YES! :D Eldest is very good cook, likes to make proper meals and try new things. Boy is dangerous as he starts cooking and then leaves kitchen - have to watch him! Youngest is still on basics. Determined they won't be like our nephew and niece who can't even make toast :rolleyes: Think parents doing everything for children is worrying trend, I learned to cook from grandmother and mother, both main courses and desserts. Good old-fashioned English food :D

Lyn, no worries. Now try a warm bath to help you doze off :)

Ruth

mchew
04-29-2003, 03:58 AM
I didn't know how to cook until I went to NZ to study and now Singapore to work.... I guess circumstances "forced" me to learn cooking. :)

jaytee
04-29-2003, 06:04 AM
MOrning All

Fooks........... only 2 weeks laundry to put away ?:D

Huge advantages to living human solo........... eat when like, sleep when like or when can, shop when hungry........... just make sure animals fed. Bad news Fooks.............. dogs start to smell around 1 week after bathing. especially if they find something really smelly to roll in and get rid of that lovely shampoo fragrance :crying: Cats always smell sweet........... thats why cats on bed , dogs no but cant understand as they smell good to each other I guess :D

MY news........... another painting in portrait project

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/418/completed/4661/tn_JocelynsArtPortrait.jpg

Its such a relief to have the brushes wet and productive again. fingers crossed it will last............ interestingly, this time im just trying to paint what I see. ........not be experimental or try to produce any particular effect/style........maybe thats the secret. but well see how long it lasts and whether it transfers to landscapes [need fingrs crossed smilie here !]

have a productive day ... or not as the mood takes you :D

Yorky
04-29-2003, 06:35 AM
Morning all!
Nice to see everyone is upbeat this morning. Another lovely sunny day here in the 60's - expectd rain.

Originally posted by artmom
Thanks, Marvin--but the milk didn't work!

Now I'm trying camomile tea:D

Lyn

Mind you don't get too many fluids Lyn, or you'll have to get up in the night to go to the loo :D

Thanks to Mary-Ann and the portrait exchange I am now painting again. Just been downloading photos for my next batch of 4 mini portraits. I find that at this size (6x 4) they are a bit fiddly but quick to produce.

Got my 4 paintings back from a month in the local library. Unfortunately no takers, even for my Staithes painting which I felt was quite acceptable. I put a "not for sale" on my copy of Fletcher-Watson's Ponte Vcchio - I like it too much!

Cheers!

Doug

CharM
04-29-2003, 06:52 AM
Good morning All! Boy, the wash is busy already this morning!

The sun is shining here in Southern Ontario... Normally that's a good thing... But, it was supposed to rain for the next three days and we need it badly... The farmers are planting now and they need rain...

I only have a few minutes and then must be off to Springfield, Ohio... Just wanted to pop in and say hi!!! Hopefully, I'll be able to check back in tonight...

Have a great day everyone!!!

K8Black
04-29-2003, 07:27 AM
Morning all:

Also just wanted to pop in to say hello. Glad to hear most are well and painting.

Char--you are going to be right up the road from me, Scarlet Lake and Painterbear! Springfield is right around the corner. Hope you have a safe trip.

Everyone have a nice productive day.

Kate

Strawberry Wine
04-29-2003, 07:59 AM
Good Day to All:

Sunny again today. We could use a bit of rain for sure.
I finished my last postcard yesterday so I will put it in the mailbox today. Now back to portraits.

Char: Have a good mini trip to Ohio.

Kate: So many W.C'ers close by. Have you met with each other?

Doug: Too bad on the viewing at the library. I did that one year with acrylic paintings and no takers either. But it is exposure.

Ruth: I too taught my kids to cook when they were younger. Mark, my eldest can cook, but being a bachelor tends to buy dozens of frozen stuff and pops them in micro. Very lazy man. LOL

Fookie: If Shim is smelling try a different dog food. The better brands are not available in the grocery stores. Try a Pet Valu (if you have them in the US or Petcetera. Brand name Nutros is one of the best , lamb and rice or chicken and rice. The reason dog's coats smell is all the filler garbage they put in the cheaper brands. Nutros is more expensive but you don't need to feed as much since there is no fillers. Shimmi is also a very small dog and I have homemade recipe for dog food. P.M. me if you are interested.
Marvin: Well from the looks of your photo re : dinner last week you have acquired good culinary skills.

To everyone else have a great day

Gail

ScarletLake
04-29-2003, 08:26 AM
Good morning or evening everyone

Saw a job opening in my town for a nurse for a pediatric office. Will be dropping off resume today.

Think I'll make my way down to the Art Supply store early this morning to spend my gift certificate but will first check out their web site to see if any sales coming up.

My husband comes back to Ohio today from his visit with his family. The first night he was there they had tornado sirens going off all night long. Just read that they had a 4.5 scale earthquake tremor this morning. Very unusual for that part of country. He should get home around 5:00 tonight. Guess I'll have a nice dinner for him.

Have to mail off son's college room contract today along with check. He said last night this is all starting to make him a little nervous. Think he's realizing that what he has know for the past 12 years as far as school is coming to an end & he doesn't know what to expect yet from college.

Looks like rain coming in here today also.

Olga - I'll have to look at pic of Paris.

Andy - Nice to see what you're doing has been right all along

Auntie - We both got our doggies about the same time. Our Tilly is quite the little apple of our eye too. Earlier this week my oldest son thought she was chewing something she shouldn't & he scolded Tilly. I was on couch reading paper & she came up & nuzzled under the paper & then barked at my son as if to say Now I dare you to scold me now. He cracked up laughing.
She has been the best gift I've had in a long time

Marvin - How's your job prospects going?

Ruth - I taught my oldest to cook & do his laundry. The youngest can do simple forzen oven items, make maccaroni & cheese & microwave. My mother died when I was 2 1/2 yo & I have always wanted to prepare my boys to not be helpless.

Doug - Sorry no pics sold. Library maybe not best place for selling.

CharM - You are coming to Springfield. You are so close to me. I go to Sprinfield in May for a big outdoor antique market. Also just found out they have a museum of art & classes are taught there. Plan on taking some in the future.

If anyone wants the pic of me for the portrait thing go right ahead. I posted it I think Sat morning. I am not anywhere near ready to try a portrait yet. Flowers & things only still

Well off for my day

Anita

Uschi
04-29-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by CharM
The sun is shining here in Southern Ontario... Normally that's a good thing... But, it was supposed to rain for the next three days and we need it badly... The farmers are planting now and they need rain...

Same here, were supposed to have a thunderstorm last night, woke up to sunshine and the ground is dry as a bone.

Hi Olga! Nice to see you here!!!

Lyn, I feel for you!! I am one of those lucky ones who hit the pillow and I am out. The very odd time when I can't sleep (usually overtired) it drives me crazy.

Doug, see, I knew you would be able to paint portraits and doing a pretty good job too.

Ruth - thanks again for the lovely portrait!!!! Wanted to ask you, what colour did you use for the blond??? I can never figure it out, I have been trying raw sienna mixed with yellow.

Fookie - putting two weeks laundry away? I haven't washed in 3 weeks, leave alone putting it away. (yes, I have lots of unmentionables HA!) Glad Shimmy has a friend!!!!!!!!

jaytee - I am with you re advantage!!!! Have large grocery store 2 minutes walk from here, easy to just pop over for food.

Well, I can barely move today. Too much gardening. I think a vioxx (antiinflammitory) is in order.
Have a wonderful day everyone!!!
Uschi

Little Old Lady
04-29-2003, 09:00 AM
Good day all. Can't stay long but can't start the day without the wash.
Painting group this morning hope to be able to finish portraits I have started.
Boy living alone has its advantages but right now my house is about to be declared a disaster area.
Think my kids may be coming for Mothers Day so will have to rearrange the mess so people can have a place to sit.
Have a good one!
JoAnn

Olga
04-29-2003, 09:11 AM
Hi again,
A rainy morning turned into a lovely afternoon and I am going to quit woking and PAINT :) :) :)
This is mostly a holiday week here--tomorrow we have Queen's birthday which means Amsterdam turns into a huge flea market with everyone selling the contents of their attics and kids trying to earn money by playing instruments in the park or organizing some silly games. After that, May 1 is labor day and May 5 is liberation day.
I won't have much time to paint, though, since my mom is visiting.

Fookie Lyn--why is Al threatening your little doggie? lol Love those dog stories of yours. Can't wait to see the stuff in your head transferred to paper.

Jaytee--it's great you are painitng again :) A very nice portrait it is, too. And I know what you mean when you say that it gets easier when one just paints rather than trying too hard to make something really special. Enjoying the process is what makes it most fun I find.
Ruth--good of you to get your kids cooking. My older one does OK now that she is on her own, but the younger one is such a space cadet, I've not get her to do anything beyond sandwiches or eggs on her own (she does help with table setting and washing up). Need to think of some incentive to get her going...

Doug--great to see you painting these portraits. Looking forward to more.

Uschi--don't overdo it with gardening!

OK--off I go to paint...I am going to try to finish a bunch of lilies I started painting before I went away. The flowers wilted in the meantime and I did not take a photo (really smart, huh?) so I will have to see if I can "wing" it without a reference...

Olga

babybrush
04-29-2003, 09:17 AM
well, i am just thrilled to pieces with how much participating with the portrait (exchange?) project has motivated me to get off my rear and actually paint some people. not satisfied with all my results, but i'm still learning after all. think i'm getting better too.

now that i have plenty of good paper, and no longer waisting my time with student paints, i think that i will use those to give my little sisters the oportunity to work with "real" watercolors. maybe give them some basic lessons. i think that would be fun.

See yall all around

Bethany

PS definately great idea to teach kids to cook. my mom has taought all 6 of us old enough to learn and we can all get a meal on the table if we have to.

mchew
04-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Hi! It's me again...

Just finished drawing the sketch/draft for my mural project (owner called just now to bargain my price:mad: ) I called up a professional mural painter and pretended that I wanted them to do the job just to check how much they charge... and boy my fees are only half of what the professional people charges... so I think it's quite reasonable.... but then again... i need the job and i need the money... oh well, I'm willing to lower my price but still make some... :rolleyes:

Anyway, here's what I had in mind for part of the mural but nothing confirmed yet... colour pencil and marker pen.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2003/14541-window_-_draft1.jpg

babybrush
04-29-2003, 09:50 AM
i like it marvin. it needs to be bold with warm red-orage and slightly terquois blue (just from seeing so many mexican murals around here) great design and i hope you get paid worthily

Bethany

Margie L
04-29-2003, 09:54 AM
Good day all--just had to pop in and tell Marvin to stick to his price. If you are that much lower than a "professional" mural painter, then your client is really getting a bargain and will go with you to save himself lots of money. Your sketch looks lovely. It will make a great accent to the store.
You might want to make that back wall straight instead of going down hill. LOL
Margie

madmum
04-29-2003, 10:06 AM
Uschi, I used W&N Raw Sienna after masking highlights using masquepen, then mixes with raw sienna, quin. magenta, burnt sienna and finally the pthalo blue (gs) for the darkest bits.

Marvin, don't even think of dropping your price! Tell the client that if they aren't happy, they can take their business elsewhere, however you will have to charge them for work already carried out on the design. Then you can mention how much it would cost them from the artist you contacted ;)

Great to know I'm not a mean mum, expecting my children to learn to cook! lol

Ruth

Olga
04-29-2003, 10:20 AM
Marvin,
Don't let yourself be bargained down just because the client knows you need the commission. S/he should not exploit the situation! If you are that much cheaper than a professsional mural painter then they are already getting a good deal!

Your sketch is very nice. The only thing I am not sure is how "Mexican" it reads. Not that I would know well at all--I was in Mexico only once, only in Oaxaca, and for just a few days. Here's a photo from my trip there: since the scene is similar in some ways to what you are aiming for, perhaps the vegetation or the architecture it will be useful to you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2003/7629-Oaxaca.jpg

cheers
Olga

karenjh
04-29-2003, 10:23 AM
Good day everyone!

Lyn, I swear I haven't had a good nights sleep in almost four weeks now. I sleep for about 3-4 hours and then toss and turn the rest of the time. I know that wine or sherry doesn't do the trick, and I don't like milk. Tea - well I'd be up in the "loo" as Doug says. If anyone else has some good tricks on sleeping let us know!

mchew
04-29-2003, 10:30 AM
Thanks Bethany, Margie, Ruth and Olga... that's the problem with pricing art... I'll see how much lower he want, but I have a limit in mind.. if he asks lower than that, I'll ask him to take business elsewhere.

Olga, I'd love to use that image... could u please send me a higher resolution.... thanks so much.

Christie
04-29-2003, 10:32 AM
Wow! This has moved fast today!

The kids have not even left for the bus and already there is too much too read in one sitting. :D

Today, I am working in the afternoon and mucking out my den this morning so I can paint in there again. I miss having a table to work at, but not as much as my neck does... :)

Fookie, I agree about changing Shimmi's diet, but do it slowly or his stomach will get upset. My guys are having baths this weekend, if the weather is nice enough. Today they get another nail clip and their teeth brushed.

All that should eat up most of the the day time hours. Tonight, I am going to bed early to get rid of the cold I seem to have picked up...

Christie
04-29-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by karenjh
Good day everyone!

Lyn, I swear I haven't had a good nights sleep in almost four weeks now. I sleep for about 3-4 hours and then toss and turn the rest of the time. I know that wine or sherry doesn't do the trick, and I don't like milk. Tea - well I'd be up in the "loo" as Doug says. If anyone else has some good tricks on sleeping let us know!

My doctor gave me Elavil when I was having problems sleeping. I hate taking pills, but one of these gave me a one good night's sleep and that was all that I needed to get back into a routine.

I exercise more regularly now as well and that also seems to help.

artmom
04-29-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Yorky
Morning all!

Mind you don't get too many fluids Lyn, or you'll have to get up in the night to go to the loo :D

Doug

Doug, see what my visits to the loo did last night!

I looked like the guy in Flattwo's "More Pies" and now look at my new Tinyhead! ROFLOL

I did get some sleep though; from 4:30 am until 8:50 am when the phone rang--the joys of retirement!:D

Tiny, skeletal Lyn NOT!

mchew
04-29-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by ScarletLake

Marvin - How's your job prospects going?

opps... missed your question earlier... I did sent out some resume to apply for accountant job vacancies but so far no replies.

I did call up an auditor (friend's introduction) who's looking for part-time staff to do audit work (I have one year experience) and he said he'll see if he could arrange something for me....

at the mean time, I'm a full-time artist... lol

jaytee
04-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Quick revisit to reinforce what everyones said, Marvin. It may be that hes worried he wont like the result.............. in which a very quick peep ( dont let him look for too long so he cant memorise it to comission someone else) at your great sketch before negotiating might change his mind about haggling. And if it has to be called off, definitely bill him for time spent so far. ...............plus.......... after all the comission was a contract and while researching and working on what he wanted you couldn't be doing your other commissions, could you .

As for Dogs............. mine smelt even on a diet with no fillers........... so maybe its just the smelly rolling what does it :D

artmom
04-29-2003, 11:42 AM
Marvin, I like your seal, but I miss your smiling face! Now that you are a "professional" artist, are you going to stop smiling?:evil:

Lyn

sweetbabydill
04-29-2003, 01:20 PM
Hi all-
Just wanted to drop in and say hello. Its a beautiful day here in Michigan. I hope everyone is well. Take care and God Bless all.
Carolyn

mchew
04-29-2003, 01:36 PM
It's 1.30am now and I can't sleep either... lol..
I'm now logged in Chat... Bill Johnson in there too... anyone wanna chitty chat? I'll be there for another hour, I think.

coffee_girl3000
04-29-2003, 02:41 PM
Hey, very busy wash today! It was supposed to pour today, but has been sunny and hot all day. Weird weather everywhere eh? Hope it lasts :).

Been to the dentist, my teeth are fine luckily, I hate fillings. Me and mum had a good chat, dad and her are having huge arguments at the moment. Not taking sides, but mum is in the right here I feel. Very complicated!

Marvin, best of luck with the mural, I love Olga's photo, so draw some inspiration from that. Hope the auditor job comes through for you.

Have a nice day/evening all!

artmom
04-29-2003, 03:09 PM
Sarah,

Remember, you can listen to both parents, and not have to take sides. Just a lot of nods, and ums, and ohs works really well.
Concentrate on exams and let your parents settle their own problems right now--I know how important those exams are!!!
I didn't graduate from College until age 51!! LOL

Lyn

jageo
04-29-2003, 03:25 PM
just spent my lunch looking over the portrait project. Way to go everybody. It's awesome!
Short staffed at work again...again...again. Working hard and working late. Nice to visit here at lunch at least. :)

JA

babybrush
04-29-2003, 03:27 PM
ok, so it isn't watercolor and i didn't even take the pics, but i DID do the photoshop work to fuzz them all together. my first photoshop project other than resizing pics and correcting colors for posting here. i am very proud of myself. this is my senior picture montage/collage, whatever. hope i don't seem too conceted :D ;) now my mom wants this done with photos for whole family. i may take up the project. this only took like four hours off and on

Bethany

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2003/11882-Senior_montage.JPG

ScarletLake
04-29-2003, 03:38 PM
Bethany

Did a professional photographer do your photographs originally.

I love this too. I also have a son who is a senior in high school. What program did you use for this.

Oh & btw you're a beautiful young lady. What are your plans after school.

Anita

babybrush
04-29-2003, 03:45 PM
the lady who took the pics is a amature turned professional. she works mostly out of her home, has no studio. taken with a digital camera and then she just gave us the disk. it was a great deal, cause now we can do whatever we want with them.

i used Adobe PhotoShop to creat the montage. it was my first try and i am quite pleased. turned out just as i hoped.

plan to go on to small state University this fall and major in interior design and hopefully minor in Art. i'm excited. how is your son handling the flight from the nest?

Bethany

ScarletLake
04-29-2003, 03:53 PM
Bethany

Thanks for the info on the program you used.

My son is going to Ohio University. He will major in Aviation Science. He is planning on becoming a pilot. He also wants an Air Force career. he just finished his long distance flight on Sat.

I wanted to be an interior designer too. My parents were not into parenting at all when I was your age. It was sort of raise yourself so I had no support for anything I wanted to do. But I still love decorating & HGTV, Trading Spaces, Christopher Lowell are my favorite shows.

Wishing you the best.

Have you had prom yet. Ours was this past weekend.

Anita

babybrush
04-29-2003, 03:56 PM
i'm homeschooled, so i didn't have a prom. no big deal for me. i am having a graduation ceremony/family gathering and that is what is important to me.

a pilot is another thing i've always wanted to be, but it didn't include enough of my other interests, just the love of thrills. oh well.

gotta go to work now,
Bethany

Uschi
04-29-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by artmom
Sarah,

Remember, you can listen to both parents, and not have to take sides. Just a lot of nods, and ums, and ohs works really well.
Concentrate on exams and let your parents settle their own problems right now--I know how important those exams are!!!
I didn't graduate from College until age 51!! LOL

Lyn

Sarah, I agree with above and remember the one thing that is really important THEY BOTH LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Lyn - I went to University in my mid 40's and finished at 48 HA!

Bethany, you are such a beautiful young woman and your lovely personality shines right through!!!!! Your photoshop combo looks great!!!!

Uschi

lyn lynch
04-29-2003, 04:06 PM
{{Sarah}} Go for walk w/arguing starts. Refuse to discuss details w/either parent stating "I love you both, why don't you try a professional counselor because I'm just a kid and don't know how to help you", and stick w/it. Barring that, when either rags to you about the other: cry.

Shim diet is good, he gets quality food, thank you to all who responded. He hadn't had shower ever in his life before coming to Auntie. He rolls in stink at doggie park. Never on the bed, thanks very much--ever! I bought non-water shampoo yesterday for touch-ups.

Marvin, stick with price please.
Do not let people take advantage of you. Shameful person should be chastised.
Do not establish this precident so early in your career. This information get around just as surely as information about 'good artist and good work' gets around.
Set reasonably price, considering your experience level and complication of work and stick w/it. Customer, once work begins is known to make 'suggestions' to add other than what in original sketch.
You run into such customer right off the bat.
Upon acceptance of job, customer signs sketch stating "approved as is" and you sign adding "price for sketch completion is $00.00", any additions result in fee add-ons. Do same w/sketch for add-ons.
Protect yourself.
Also re your sketch: No, Marvin, this does not look like Mexican scene, imo not at all. Better to use reference provided in this thread, also less work. Never seen image of your complicated column heads in Mexico. Things simple-curvelinar in Mexico. Suggest you google on Mexican scenery before re-do of sketch.
Also, ESTABLISHED mural painter is just that. History, photos of actual Mural work, references, etc.--his work will be more as result of this. This price in no manner compares with price for your work as you are just starting out. Do not set yourself up for disappointment in this manner.

CharM
04-29-2003, 05:17 PM
Hi everybody... just popped back in for a few minutes... Wow, a lot has been going on today...

To everyone in Ohio... I'm waving hello!!!!:) I seriously thought of contacting you, but this trip is pretty intense... I have an all day presentation tomorrow in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, then back here to Springfield on Thursday and home to Chatham on Friday...

Marvin... I wanted to mention that your sketch doesn't quite read like Mexico to me... I worked in Monterrey for two years, 98-99... That city is located in the bowl of the Sierra Madres... It is quite desert like with sparse vegetation... There are trees, but they're small and whispy... The ground cover tends to be succulents, cacti and a very wiry type of grass (a little heavier than crab grass). In the mountains, there is also vegetation, but it all looks rather stunted. I believe that the vegetation is more lush towards the ocean... I worked with a supplier in Metamoris, Mx. which is right on the ocean and it tended to be somewhat scrubby, also... The buildings are colourful, even a little more so than your sketch...
Good Luck!!!

Stay well everybody!!!

sisangel
04-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Good Evening everyone. Sure are a lot of posts today, will finish reading in middle of night when I can't sleep. Lst night, I spent the night looking at Marvin's web page. I had a great time and am very impressed. Great work Marvin and love your website. Best of luck to you on your mural work.

I have spent to whole day with my scanner and photoshop trying to get the file of my first painting right to I can show it to you all to critique. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I f I set pixels to 300 x 400, I get picture size of about 2 1/4". If I set picture size to 4 x 51/5 ", the file is too big. I am so frustrated. Darren's uploaded pictures sure do turn out nice. Darren, if you read this, please help.

So I am turning off scanner for the night and am going to paint. I am going to do Rod's Mountainscape lesson. I know I will learn a lot from this lesson.

Daughter's wedding this saturday so maybe I can sleep after that.

Quickly becoming a Wet Canvas addict.

Have a great day tomorrow.
Bonnie

pampe
04-29-2003, 06:49 PM
HI, honeys!!!! I'm home!!!!!!!!!!!!

talk soon!

M.A.
04-29-2003, 06:58 PM
Welcome back Pam! We've missed you!!!

artmom
04-29-2003, 07:31 PM
THANK GOODNESS, YOU'RE BACK!!!

Welcome Home!

I, along with many others:D have missed you, you old :evil: you!
Can't wait to hear about it all.

Lyn

babybrush
04-29-2003, 07:45 PM
Pam? who's Pam?

Bethany:confused: :evil: :angel:

CharM
04-29-2003, 08:02 PM
:clap: Welcome Back Pam!!!!:clap:

Uschi
04-29-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by sisangel

I have spent to whole day with my scanner and photoshop trying to get the file of my first painting right to I can show it to you all to critique. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I f I set pixels to 300 x 400, I get picture size of about 2 1/4". If I set picture size to 4 x 51/5 ", the file is too big. I am so frustrated. Darren's uploaded pictures sure do turn out nice. Darren, if you read this, please help.
Bonnie

Bonnie, scan your picture in at 72 because anything higher won't show on the computer screen anyway. Once scanned and in your computer go to photoshop and bring the image up, go to "Image" on top then in the drop down go to "image size" change the width pixels to 500 and save. That saved image is what you upload to the post.
Hope that helps!!!
Uschi

PAM!!!! Welcome back, we missed you!!!

sisangel
04-29-2003, 10:39 PM
Uschi - Thank you so much for the scanning info. That really clears things up for me. You are such a big help. I'm glad I asked. Tomorow you will all have another first painting to look at.

Pam - Welcome back. I am new so I would like to say glad to meet you. Everybody has missed you, that I know.

Bonnie