PDA

View Full Version : My First Chinese Painting

mchew
04-29-2003, 12:40 AM
Went out to buy some Chinese bamboo brushes, chinese ink and rice paper and come up with this. My very first Chinese painting... although I've learned Chinese calligraphy before... the words there read Malay Village Scene on the left and drawn on 2003 on the right... the red square is my Chinese name seal which was crafted in Hong Kong when my mum's friend visited HK many years ago.

Hope you like it...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2003/14541-Malay_Village_small.jpg

scruggles
04-29-2003, 12:43 AM
:clap: I really like it! Thanks for explaining the caligraphy too.
Thanks again also for sharing your technique of painting trees.

lyn lynch
04-29-2003, 12:50 AM
[I LOVE SCRUGGLES...I STROKIN' HIM W/MY MOUSIE]

Marvin, EXCELLENT, I want to see some COLORED Sumi work from you. Iris flower, peony, etc.
GOOD, GOOD for offering sets of (4) notecard variety on eBay. Use your chop on front and Chinese name on backs. EXCELLENT.

Also, FYI: Singapore not in China--look at map. :D

mchew
04-29-2003, 12:56 AM
Thanks Struggles.

Auntie... you always make me laugh... This is my FIRST sumi / chinese /oriental (or whatever it's called) painting... I've no confidence in handling the delicate rice paper yet... so I'm not sure about colouring on them.... sumi painting on eBay will have to wait until I'm more comfortable with it ...:)

and btw... yeah.. Singapore is NOT in China but a country of her own and is a small island south of Malaysia... ;)

Astur
04-29-2003, 01:45 AM
WOW!!

Marvin, realy you surprise me one and more times!!! You really add some magic at all you paint... you are really a great artist...

well, I feel accounting will lost a good worker, but ART will gain a big artist... remember us poor mortals when you become famous!!!!

My hat is off for your :)

Bill J
04-29-2003, 02:02 AM
Marvin great palm trees I'm a palm tree nut (I even have 5 in my vard). Do you do a rough pencil skectch first or do you just wing it.
bill

mchew
04-29-2003, 03:30 AM
Thanks, Hector.... just trying out something I've thought of doing for a long time. May be I'll visit all your lovely countries, USA, UK, Spain, Holland, Canada, Ireland, Italy, Aussie, NZ (been there).... did I miss any.... and conduct special class when I'm rich and famous :p :rolleyes: :D ;) :cat: (dreaming again... :D)

Thanks, Bill... no pencil sketch... just ink to paper.... but have to work fast cos rice paper really absorbs lots and I mean LOTS of ink when only the tip of the brush is touching the paper!!!

madmum
04-29-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by mchew
Thanks, Hector.... just trying out something I've thought of doing for a long time. May be I'll visit all your lovely countries, USA, UK, Spain, Holland, Canada, Ireland, Italy, Aussie, NZ (been there).... did I miss any.... and conduct special class when I'm rich and famous :p :rolleyes: :D ;) :cat: (dreaming again... :D)

And I thought UK would have been first, being home of your beloved Liverpool! ;)

You'd be very popular as a teacher, Marvin, I'm sure :)

I want to see more of this work in colour, too. Does it take long to do? Could be great earner if quick work ;)

Ruth

mchew
04-29-2003, 03:44 AM
I should have add... not in particular order... lol
Very happy Liverpool won 6-0 over the weekend... :D

Not long at all, Ruth... 10 minutes I think, ok 15 the most... :D

rapolina
04-29-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by mchew
Thanks Struggles.
This is my FIRST sumi / chinese /oriental (or whatever it's called) painting...

Really nice! I like this style. i've never understood the didfferences (in any) between these 3 techniques.
can you find out anything? i have a book on sumi-e and it japanese...:confused: :confused: :confused:

anyway, bravo!!!:clap: :clap:

ciao, rapolina.

ptantono
04-29-2003, 05:07 AM
Wow Marvin !!! I love the coconut trees, the light and darks of the leaf. I wont be able to paint that without a sketch. You should sell this on Ebay

Lulu
04-29-2003, 05:28 AM
Just beautiful Marvin.

.......... and if you had voted for the women in the Bet competition we might have let you back into NZ too :D:D:D

jaytee
04-29-2003, 06:13 AM
Marvin.......... full of admiration as usual............ please do we get free entry to workshops of famous Mr Chew?

More important question............ why football, and why on earth Liverpool ? Cant understand the English obsession, the world obsession, let alone your obsession ......... so far away :evil: :evil:

CharM
04-29-2003, 07:04 AM
Marvin, you've done a beautiful job with this... One of the things I really like about the ... oriental ... painting style is the brushwork. It appears to be so effortlessly laid down... Yet, a lot of thought and planning must go into a painting, because once the first brush stroke is painted, you are committed to the piece...:clap: :clap:

tigre255
04-29-2003, 08:27 AM
Another lovely Marvin......your so full of supprises.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Crystal Owl
04-29-2003, 08:32 AM
Nice one Marvin,

Rice paper is great to work on like you said very absorbant, just use a tad of color at a time till you're comfortable. Then you can really go wild LOL.

Irene

Darren
04-29-2003, 09:18 AM
Wow, Marvin--10 or 15 minutes? I agonize over the start longer than that. Well, if you ever hold a workshop in the Washington, DC, area, you're welcome to stay with me (free lessons??).

As a matter of fact, if any of you are ever in this area, please look me up, drop by and stay a spell--I enjoy company.

Pardon my ignorance, but could someone please explain the purpose of a "chop"/Chinese name seal? I've seen them on a number of different artworks done by people who obviously were not Chinese. thanks

darren

babybrush
04-29-2003, 09:22 AM
Wow, this is great. can't wait to see what you can do with chinese zodiac with this technique

Bethany

els
04-29-2003, 09:58 AM
Another great one Marvin. Very good, as always...

mchew
04-29-2003, 10:06 AM
Rapolina, thanks... I'm not too sure myself but I remembered there's a very good article on chinese painting on the pen and ink forum, written by a Malaysian artist. I think he gives a good introduction on the origin of chinese painting.

Oh... here it is:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Oriental/IntroChinesePainting/

Patricia, thanks... I kinda like this one myself... I'm keeping it ;)

Lulu... LOL...

Jaytee... free lesson? Ok, in exchange for a ticket to Anfield stadium to watch Liverpool play...lol
I think I've answered this question before... well, blame it on your ancestors who came and ruled our land ... they introduced football, rugby and cricket but I think football caught on... rugby to a certain extent... cricket only so-so... since the introduction of TV, BBC has been beaming 'live' important football matches like FA Cup final... now, with cable and digital satelite TV, we have live matches every weekend.

As for Liverpool, my whole family is Liverpool fanatics.... Dad and uncle watched on TV while I was young (1980s) and Liverpool was the best team then.... so the more I saw, the more I fell in love with Ian Rush and John Barnes.... the rest is history... :D

Thanks, Char... didn't think much though... lol

Thanks, Barb.

Irene... may be I'll play with colours the next time I paint oriental style.

Darren, when I teach in a workshop, it usually hapens in dreams. LOL... as for the "chop" or chinese name seal, it's a must for Chinese painting... the chop represent the signature of the artist. I know some non-Chinese have their name translated in Chinese and ask the craftman to make these seals. There are such services here in Singapore, I believe.

Bethany, there are limitations to what I can draw/paint using Chinese painting style.... simple little hut and coconut palms are not a big problem but animal would be very tough... just tried it this afternoon and they are awful... it's in the bin now... lol

Crystal Owl
04-29-2003, 11:58 AM
Here's a link to get your name done in a chinese stamp. I ordered mine last week.

Chinese Name Stamp (http://store.yahoo.com/lovestamps/personalseal.html)

Irene

pampe
04-30-2003, 02:16 PM
nice work, Marvin...your chop is very lovely...I should show you mine....

Jijo
04-30-2003, 02:36 PM
Hi Marvin,
fantastic, very simple and well compossed.
I have to try that materials, I like drawing a lot
Alex

Visit Argentine also, not so far away from you (if you came trough earth)