PDA

View Full Version : Casita

MKathleen
04-28-2003, 09:55 PM
Hi All:
Here is the second painting I did in the Antelope Hill Golf Community in Prescott, Arizona. This is the little casita we are renting while waiting for the completion of the new house.
All the paintings I'm doing in this series are gouache opaque watercolor on 300lb cold press paper. I'm not particularly fond of drawing buildings or vehicles, but I wanted a painted record of our casita. My Tinyhead was the first of the series...
As always I appreciate your comments and thoughts.
Best,
Kathy:)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2003/5343-PrescottCondo.jpg

artmom
04-28-2003, 10:05 PM
Oh, my--I had to look twice to see that it was NOT a reference photo! What a great memory enhancer for later years.:)

Lyn

MKathleen
04-28-2003, 10:35 PM
Hi Lyn--this is much more detailed than I really care to get as I was out of my 'comfort zone' did more drawing than I usually do.
Thank you for looking and your comments.
Best,

CharM
04-28-2003, 11:18 PM
Kathy, your painting is really lovely! It has that sun-drenched appearance that is always so cheerful. It's a beautiful way to record where your were when... What is the lighter area around the vehicle and shadow? I'm sorry, but I find it a little distracting... This

al22
04-28-2003, 11:24 PM
Very nice K................good use of contrasts.......
Where you been hiding??
..........al

MKathleen
04-29-2003, 12:02 AM
Hi CharM--Thank you for your nice compliment you know the light is so bright up hear in Prescott. I have even taken to wearing a hat which I hardly ever did in Northern California from which we moved recently.
The lighter area next to the shadow on the viewer's right is just a value change in the asphalt color.
Best,

MKathleen
04-29-2003, 12:06 AM
Hi al--Hey great to hear from you and thank you for your compliment much appreciated. As for hiding I thinking about asking you the same question? lol It's good to be back posting to the WC forums--now if I can just find my clay in all those soon to be delivered boxes...got so many ideas swimming around in my little brain. Did you ever start the mule sculpt?
k

lyn lynch
04-29-2003, 12:32 AM
Hi, Kathy.
Yes, the sun is that bright; it washes out all color. I knew immediately what it was. I think if this isn't labeled as Arizona, than many may ask that question.

I do not work w/opaques so cannot comment on any to do with the medium.
The work is very interesting and incredibly realistic. The sky diffenitely says Arizona, and the wash out on the rose hills.

Since you have the vehicles, I look for people. Just seems they should go together. Or a maid pushing her cart.

Sher
04-29-2003, 01:33 AM
WOW! This would look great on a brochure. You have captured a beautiful memory for ever. Well done!!!

Astur
04-29-2003, 01:40 AM
Great painting...

the drawing is oustanding, and you use the gouache distinctive features to have a really good exercice of light and shadows... it reminde me some of my Hopper favourites...

Well done!!

Olga
04-29-2003, 02:57 AM
I think Hector got it just right--it does look like Hopper!

Very nice work. It looks so sun-drenched

Olga

madmum
04-29-2003, 03:19 AM
I was thinking this almost had an oil quality, then I read that you used Gouache. Very striking painting, and a great way to store memories :)

Ruth

onefromheaven
04-29-2003, 06:56 AM
Hi Kathy,
this is beautifully done and as the others have said , also a great way to retain visual memories........will you do one of your new home as well?.....it would be a great way to help plan the garden :) Glad I saw your post here today.......hope all is well.

stephanie972
04-29-2003, 09:30 AM
My parents reside in Prescott... love to visit. The downtown square area is also a wonderful place to paint. If you really want to see some grand landscapes scoot over to Sedona... you can shoot up a couple rolls of reference photos in no time.

Love you painting... can't wait to visit this summer!!!

MKathleen
04-29-2003, 01:44 PM
Hi fookie--thank you, oh and hey your idea about the maid is top notch on her way in real time to clean for me so I can paint more. lol
I love the Arizona skies whether blue or gray or filled with those flat bottom clouds just simply outstanding. I have worked very hard to leave the very very realistic drawing and painting to those who enjoy it. My favorite is impressionism. But there are sometimes that it creeps back into my mind and hand. lol

Hi Sher--thank you, what a nice compliment it would look nice on a brochure.

Hi Astur--thank you too, I love gouache which helped me a lot with adding those values needed. I'm very humbled and honored that you would say my painting reminded you of a Hopper wow I'm almost speechless. Thank you again wow...

Hi Olga--thank you also, again I'm speechless! Hopper wow...

Hi Ruth--thank you, I first started out several years ago with oil and pastel. I think probably one of the biggest reasons I love gouache so much is that I can work with it in the style of oil and pastel without the turps of course and think like watercolor.

Hi Maggie--thank you, wow it's great to hear from you please PM me and tell me what you've been doing. Haven't thought about a painting of the new house yet, I like your idea about a way to help plan the garden. I do have some ideas about high desert and grass land landscaping (rocks, dry river beds etc.) will run them by you.

Hi stehanie--thank you, oh I love Prescott too--your right about the down town square lots of wonderful sights and scenes for sure. Went to Sedona (been there several times over the years) a couple of weeks ago did take some pics--and of Jerome on the way back. Looking forward to summer time in Prescott and Arizona as a whole. Hope you have a wonderful stay in Prescott this summer. Maybe we'll run into each other in town--oh and I'm a Texas gal too!

Gilberte
04-29-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Olga
I think Hector got it just right--it does look like Hopper!

Very nice work. It looks so sun-drenched

Olga

My impression exactly !
What an excellent way of handling gouache :clap: :clap: :clap:

Aselka
04-29-2003, 04:19 PM
Wonderful painting. Very sunny with great contrasts.

I love your works and always looking forward to see one in this board!

Aselka

MKathleen
04-29-2003, 05:23 PM
Hi Gilberte--thank you, I do love that gouache!

Hi Aselka--thank you too, wow I can't believe this painting has had such a wonderful reception. I have a couple more that are completed to show from this series--then I have to finish some more.

Thank you both again for such wonderful comments...
Best,