PDA

View Full Version : flags painting

Turtle33
04-28-2003, 07:22 PM
hi everyone
this is a drawing of the new painting i am working on. it is for a commission and i did this before. someone bought the painting so it is not exact to the other one but i am going to paint it again.
the painting is going to be for a father's day gift from a wife to her husband

i attached the first painting for you as well as the new drawing.

Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2003/16927-Flags.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2003/16927-Rockerfeller_Center_1999.JPG

daveshattuck
04-28-2003, 07:30 PM
sarah:

i love the flag painting. i have always been taking pics of flags and their settings for future paintings. cant wait to watch your WIP

dave

artmom
04-28-2003, 07:33 PM
Sarah, I'll be sitting right here, glued to the screen! I would like to paint something with flags for my husband, my two sons, both daughters-in-law and husband's uncle, all who have served in the military (one is still in). So, teach me how, because that's a lot of flags for me to paint. LOL

Lyn

Turtle33
04-28-2003, 07:51 PM
thanks Dave :)
i took this picture on a class trip (when i was a junior in high school) to New York. the painting shown in this thread was juried in to the York Art Association's juried show of the mid atlantic states. in fact, my professor in college (in the fall) was the juror :)

Lyn, you are funny! i am going to show updates often and try to explain what i did but i never do that right.
there are lots of flags to be painted at Rockefeller center. it just depends on when you are there. i have the exact pic from 2 years later with all the world's country flags. i took the picture at the exact spot and got it right.

Sarah

white-anubis
04-28-2003, 08:09 PM
wow! this should be good! Keep us posted!

ScarletLake
04-28-2003, 08:13 PM
Love flags. Would like to paint one myself.

Anita

Phillip
04-28-2003, 08:49 PM
Wow is that the reference image or painting?

Turtle33
04-28-2003, 08:57 PM
hi Philip
the painting you see is the one that sold. the drawing is new for a commission :)
thanks Anita! go for it :D
thanks walerian:D

CharM
04-28-2003, 10:57 PM
Sarah, your wips are always fun and interesting! How do you mix your red? I really want a pretty red for my florals, but never quite get out of the "pink" mode...

lyn lynch
04-29-2003, 12:44 AM
Sarah, I assume you are not making an exact copy, at least I hope not.
Your original work is really beautiful, I certain that sold immediately.
Flag very popular subject always, but right now for sure.
Your WIPs always fun and informative, you have such good skills.
Yes, Rockefeller Center was always such fun to visit; wasn't it great to look either down or from the Cafe onto the ice skaters? Wish to see NYC again one day, it's a big dream for me.

madmum
04-29-2003, 03:25 AM
Sarah, I'll be fascinated to see how you alter this to make it unique! I had a similar request recently for a larger version of Em's shells, I've had to suggest that I paint it from a different reference to keep it fresh. Friend was very happy to accept that option, fortunately :)

Ruth

els
04-29-2003, 10:16 AM
WOW Sarah, this is going to be great. The drawing is excellent so far...

karenjh
04-29-2003, 10:24 AM
I thought that painting was your reference photo! Looking forward to seeing this done.

sweetbabydill
04-29-2003, 01:12 PM
I'm looking forward to watching your progress on this. Great subject matter. I have to admit I am a little partial to this one.
Carolyn

Turtle33
04-29-2003, 07:20 PM
hi Carolyn :)
i am working on two paintings right now...the flags and tulips in my mom's garden. i will snap a picture later tonight and show you the flags painting so far.

thanks Karen. the painting picture posted is the painting i had that sold.
thanks els.
thanks Ruth. i am going to try to alter things, if not in composition a lot, then in colors.

hi Auntie Fookie. nope, it is not going to be exact. i could never really be exact like the older painting. it is going to be different.
it was great to see the ice skaters and the cafe. what was so amazing was the entire place was so crowded with people! i like to visit NY but i would never want to live there :)

thanks CharM. in the first flag painting, i just used aliz crimson. for this one, i am going to mix colors and use paynes gray for the folds in the flag.

Sarah

jti
04-29-2003, 07:37 PM
Sarah,

Always nice to see your work - I like the prior piece and am looking forward to the new one. BTW, what size is this first painting and how long did you spend on it. Thanks, jti