PDA

View Full Version : tea & company

Gilberte
04-28-2003, 02:38 PM
This afternoon's watercolor.
Bockingford 3OO grms, half sheet.
All comments and critiques are welcome ( the teapot ... arghhh)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2003/9813-teapot_3.jpg

vestalqueen
04-28-2003, 02:41 PM
Beautiful! Even the teapot! Soft, lovely, loose - all the things I like!

Erin

artmom
04-28-2003, 02:52 PM
Gilberte, I like your teapot--I have a teapot collection! However, I can see why you say " ( the teapot ... arghhh)." I can't quite figure out what's wrong--what is it supposed to be sitting upon?

Right now, it looks as if it is uneasily sitting IN the flowers. Would a little more shadow (Pampe's purple) settle it more steadily into the painting? I'm sorry I'm not being more help--this is such a light, delicate painting--very beautiful!

Lyn

Darren
04-28-2003, 03:02 PM
It's beautiful--I really love the subtlety of the colors. My mom would like this for mother's day--anyway you can make this into a "paint by numbers"?--that's the only way she'd get something as nice as this from me. :)

I'm not sure if more darks in the teapot would give it more depth?? Also, the space "inside" the teapot handle seems lighter than the background?

darren

Olga
04-28-2003, 03:04 PM
Lovely color harmony, Gilberte...

That teapot has a bit of a Magritte-like effect: floating among the flowers ;)

Olga

CharM
04-28-2003, 03:55 PM
Gilberte... I DON'T have a problem with the teapot... it looks nestled in amongst the flowers. Perhaps if you extended the shadow to be even, across, with the lower part of the handle it might help to ground it... I'm not explaining this very well... I'm sorry... I do love the feel of this and hope you can resolve your problem...

capricorne
04-28-2003, 04:13 PM
Goeienavond Gilberte,
I think the teapot is ok!
I like your loose and atmosferic style.
About comments and critiques.......
it's always more easy to see the problem in the work of someone else then in one's own, so I'm going to paint and learn.
Best regards
Jan

M.A.
04-28-2003, 04:54 PM
I think it's a beautiful medly of greens.

Uschi
04-28-2003, 05:24 PM
Hi Gilberte! Beautiful, beautiful as always and I can see you are back to your own style.
Teapot is perfect, however, I too think it is sitting on top of the flowers. For once I think I have an easy fix - there are two lines (kind of purple) one close to the top of the handle and one along the underneath of the white flower. The bottom one looks as if it is the table top, hence the teapot is sitting in the flowers, if you bring that line up just a bit under the other line it will make the pot sit on the table - I think, no I am pretty sure HA!
Uschi

artmom
04-28-2003, 05:26 PM
Uschi, I knew what was wrong, but didn't know how to fix it--that's the difference between experience and a Newbie!! LOL

Lyn

ale.l
04-28-2003, 05:39 PM
Before going to bed I couldn't help saying how I LOVE THIS PIECE!

There si something about the colours that made me stay and watch....... I'd love to have this on my wall for sure.

Good night :)

mpopinz
04-28-2003, 05:47 PM
I love this piece! Lovely, loose and well chosen colors.

Crystal Owl
04-28-2003, 05:57 PM
Gilberte ,

This looks great teapot and all agree with the shading to round it out a little more.

Irene

Nitsa
04-28-2003, 06:02 PM
My first thought was WOW, I love your style, so loose and light......My second thought was that the teapot was maybe a tad small in comparism to the flowers, one of the blooms is almost as large?

surreal
04-28-2003, 08:57 PM
Lovely!

al22
04-28-2003, 09:07 PM
I like that thread of soft green that is harmonious throughout the painting....
Very Nice......... Pleasing to look at.......
...........al

artman42
04-28-2003, 09:28 PM
I think the Teapot looks good maybe u can define , what the Tea pot is on maybe more Reflection and more shadow on the Teapot, But i love the Loosness.

babybrush
04-28-2003, 09:30 PM
what is it exactly about the pot you don't like? it looks good to me. a little like it is floating, but well painted

Bethany

PS good painting:)

Jprice022
04-28-2003, 10:58 PM
Well done... I do like your style.

Astur
04-29-2003, 01:57 AM
Hi;

I kie the soft and armonious colors you put.. perhaps some deep shadows can improve...

Thanks for share

Gilberte
04-29-2003, 02:53 AM
Dear Painting Friends,
Thank you very much for your comment and critique. I see the improvements that can be done very clearly now. This is another proof that one should paint from life. (I put the teapot in front of me and just fantasized the flowers). Although I'm not a realistic painter I realise one can always use the advice of a critical eye !
Merci, merci and ... let's paint !

Kate Mc
04-29-2003, 08:35 AM
Bonjour, Gilberte!

I've been lurking in this forum for a while, and finally decided to "come out". Another Belgian!! I love this picture--the looseness combined with the substantial feel of the flowers and the teapot. I also love the colors and their unity.

I agree with the messages regarding the placement of the teapot, but I have another tiny problem with it. I noticed it because I have the SAME problem with teapots--the spout doesn't look as if it's across from the handle. They both look like they're bent slightly towards the viewer. I hope that someone can tell how to fix this, so that I can go back to painting teapots!

:clap:

Kate

rapolina
04-29-2003, 08:45 AM
Ciao Gilberte!

I looked at your painting several times today, because it is beautiful, your unique style in painting flowers is fashinating, but i saw something wrong to my eyes... finally I got it: the teapot is too small! If the fwowers were real, one on them should be large nearly as the teapot...:eek:
i imagine the teapot bigger, and the painting turns all right to me.

Is it just my impression?

:) :) i tuopi fiori sono stupendi

ciao, rapolina.

Gilberte
04-29-2003, 01:10 PM
Welcome Kate ! Don't hesitate to post or comment, WC is a fantastic site. The teapot ... you're absolutely right.

Buonasera Rapolina .......... argh........ the teapot ...:crying: :crying: :crying:

els
04-29-2003, 01:24 PM
Great one!

Gia
04-29-2003, 06:17 PM
Very beautiful Gilberte- flowers......but why is there a tea pot
in the bouquet..:D ...I wonder??
The answer could be : because the
artist actually wanted it to sit there, to add further interest to the
painting in a impressionistic/surrealistic way...????

pampe
04-29-2003, 10:51 PM
ISN'T IT WONDERFUL TO HAVE THIS INSTANT FEEDBACK???

mhimeswc
04-30-2003, 12:43 AM
I like the soft, loose, impressionistic style.

Michelle

moo67
04-30-2003, 02:03 AM
This is beautiful Gilberte so soft and serene i think the teapot looks excellent.
Moo:clap: :clap:

rks
04-30-2003, 02:45 AM
Just lovely, Gilberte. If this is a fantasy painting, why be concerned about the appearance of the teapot?

Roberta:cat:

Gilberte
04-30-2003, 01:19 PM
els, Gia, Pampe,mhimswc, moo 76 and rks ;) thank you and merci for comments and opinions :)

Christie
04-30-2003, 01:24 PM
Gilberte, I loke this. It is soft and dreamy.

Tres bein. :)

I agree that the spout and the handle seem to be leaning towards the viewer, but I cannot figure out how to fix it...

I need to paint more teapots.... :D