PDA

View Full Version : Crystal bowl of Grapes

Starsprite
04-28-2003, 12:18 PM
Howdee ya'll!

I got the idea for this from a reference photo that Emily (Mustcreate) posted...thanks Em! Although her photo does not have the plant in it....I added that myself, I thought it needed a little more something in it.

The problem I am having is trying to figure out how the shadow of the plant should be on the wall. The top of the grapes are very light like there is a light shining from above.

This is done on watercolor board. Any help would be appreciated. I am not finished with this...still have some white guache highlights I want to add. Do you think the wall color is okay? I can't decide.

Thanks! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2003/6385-grapesandplant.jpg

magnuscanis
04-28-2003, 12:37 PM
It looks good so far, though the right hand side seems a little bare.

I don't think I've ever seen grapes quite that red. They certainly look good enough to eat. :)

Rosemarie
04-28-2003, 12:45 PM
What an interesting compositon. I also like the colours but the shadows are to weak. If Pampe hasn't said it I say it : more constrast (alias here shadows)

(gees, I wish I dared to paint crystal!!)

JanJones
04-28-2003, 12:49 PM
This is going to be a very pretty painting, looking forward to seeing it finished.

CharM
04-28-2003, 12:50 PM
Em's photos are inspirational and she'll be pleased to learn that you used one! And executed it beautifully... Your bowl really reads well... I think you are right about the shadows, though... IMHO, your bowl is not grounded...

vestalqueen
04-28-2003, 12:52 PM
Wow, Starsprite! This is a challenging subject. You've got a smashing start on those grapes! They look like they've got that "bloom" and everything. I think the wall color is fine. Anxious to see how this turns out.

Erin

al22
04-28-2003, 04:20 PM
Done well, wall fine.............. crystal good....... needs a few shadows.......
....al

Gilberte
04-28-2003, 04:25 PM
If I may say so I think the green leaves at the top are attracting too much attention. Good rendering of crystal vase !

Crystal Owl
04-28-2003, 06:04 PM
Haven't a clue about the shadows , but I do love the crystal vase!! :)

Irene

artman42
04-28-2003, 07:55 PM
I like the Grapes and the Leafes , u could and some soft Shadows under neath the Vase and maybe at a Few Grapes on the Right to balance the Compostion,

Phillip
04-28-2003, 08:05 PM
Great start.

I am no great painter, just a beginner but I think the shadow would be perfect from the grapes on the lower right of painting.

So have the light come from the top left of painting that way that vacant area will have some interest.

Here is what I mean, I hope you don't mind.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2003/21263-6385-grapesandplant.jpg

white-anubis
04-28-2003, 08:07 PM
looking good! I agree it needs something to balance it a bit more.

Starsprite
04-29-2003, 08:30 AM
Thanks for all of the helpful comments everyone. I decided to just take care of the shadow problem and do away with the leaves altogether. I agree with Gilberte that they are kind of distracting to the grapes, they compete with them. I am still not quite finished...but it looks dramatically different..will post when finished. :)

artmom
04-29-2003, 02:37 PM
Looking forward to your finished painting. You have rendered the crystal beautifully and I'm happy your losing the leaves! LOL

Lyn