PDA

View Full Version : Another village scene

mchew
04-28-2003, 12:13 PM
Hi guys,

Just finished this painting of a village scene at Pulau Ubin, Singapore.

Approx 9.5" x 12"
Daley Rowney Artist Paint on Terschelling Rough.

Critique and comments welcome as usual.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2003/14541-Ubin3.jpg

vestalqueen
04-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Hi, Marvin! I really like your village - lovely foliage here, especially like the foreground. I like the way you've rendered the rusty rooftops in the back and the texture of the thatch is dandy. I like the little guy in the doorway, too!

Thanks!

Erin

CharM
04-28-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by vestalqueen
Hi, Marvin! I really like your village - lovely foliage here, especially like the foreground. I like the way you've rendered the rusty rooftops in the back and the texture of the thatch is dandy. I like the little guy in the doorway, too!

Thanks!

Erin

For a minute, I thought "rust?... How can you have rusty rooftops on thatch?"... Duh... LOL... I went back and looked again... It's my dumb monitor...

As always, your foliage is masterful... I like the loose feel of this painting... I do have a question, though... It could very well be how this laptop monitor is displaying your painting... What is the white 'something' in the middle of the buildings?

al22
04-28-2003, 12:40 PM
Hi Marv......like the scene....... think you could add additional light source (darker shadows) and that blue on the right behind the house is a bit bothersome.......kinda flattens the foliage in that area.....
Just some things to ponder......
.....al

els
04-28-2003, 12:47 PM
Another winner Marvin...

JanJones
04-28-2003, 12:51 PM
Nice painting, I especially like the way you did the grass roof.

wayfarer
04-28-2003, 02:36 PM
nicely done!

Noticed the copyright. I'm doing it now too!

wayfarer

Olga
04-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Hi Marvin,
You did a wondeful job on all the textures--as usual.
I do get a bit of a boxed in feeling with this composition...I don't really mean it as a critique and it could have been your intention, but it feels like there is no escape from this village...

Olga

Aselka
04-28-2003, 03:37 PM
Great warm colors of foliage and tree houses. I like the little house with a human finure in a door way.I love your technique.

I agree with Olga's remark about composition. I find that it is boxed indeed. Also there is some perspective distortion with left fencc, which goes around house. It keeps almost the same width in foreground and in background.

Aselka

Jijo
04-28-2003, 03:46 PM
Hi Marvin
Fantastic foillage technique as usual, now you added a very texture work on buildings.
I find the right side of the paint "very MCHEW", left side a bit hard, almost abstract. The problem is the fence guiding eye just to that clear flat surface. May be some plants at the lower left side and more contrast in shadows may help. As usual my HO.
Alex

Gilberte
04-28-2003, 04:09 PM
I'm in a hurry but ... WOW WOW WOW !

M.A.
04-28-2003, 04:33 PM
Marvin, this is absolutely beautiful!
:clap:

Uschi
04-28-2003, 05:33 PM
Another beauty Marvin!!!! Doesn't look boxed in to me, that is village life in the eastern countries.
I meant to ask you, do they have eBay in Singapore, and if so do you have your paintings there too?
Uschi

Crystal Owl
04-28-2003, 06:10 PM
Nice Job Marvin!! Love the textures in the roofs and your foliage.

Irene

Frank Fan
04-28-2003, 06:13 PM
Hi! Marvin,
Another great job, this kind of scene is also my favorit, do you mean this one is done on site?

surreal
04-28-2003, 08:56 PM
Nice image!
Everything about it works extremely well!!!

Phillip
04-28-2003, 09:06 PM
Wow.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Man there are some great artists here.

lyn lynch
04-28-2003, 09:27 PM
Very nice, Marvin.
You have some good comments to consider so I just say
"I owner of Marvin's Showhouses on Sophia Road, Singapore." :D

artman42
04-28-2003, 09:34 PM
Nice Job Marvin, agree about the Shadows , does make it look flat...

babybrush
04-28-2003, 09:37 PM
this is great. i like your village paintings. they are so... unique

Bethany

hopefulbucky
04-28-2003, 09:43 PM
Marvin, I really love this painting. The more paintings I see from you the more I like them. It is amazing each one I like better than the previous one.

I really like how you have rendered the roofs to look like straw. Is there a special technique you use?

Keep the paintings coming and I hope you will have success in selling them through galleries or whatever.:clap: :clap: :clap:

mchew
04-28-2003, 10:18 PM
Thank you all so much.... what a long list of replies to wake up to... :)

Char... the white thing is a piece of canvas cloth covering a little hut, perhaps to protect from sun and rain?

Thanks, Al... I knew there was something missing ... and you got it spots on... but I would make any changes now since I've listed it on ebay with this image.... if there's no bid after the listing period, I'll do the necessary touch-up and re-list. :)

wayfarer, after what happened to Nina (Surreal), I think we all need to be more careful when submitting our works on the Net... you never know who those scammers are targeting next.

Olga, yes... I see what you meant by "boxed in"... I think the fences on the left created this feeling...

Aselka, yes, I agree the perspective of the fences on the left is a bit off....

Jijo.... good idea about adding plants. thanks

Uschi... yes, we do have eBay Singapore and my eBay account is registered here but it's assesible internationally. 3 of my latest paintings including this one are listed there ;)

Frank, how I wish to paing on site (en plein aire) but it has been raining almost daily here... this one is paint from photo.

Auntie Fookie, SHOPHOUSE.... SHOP (on groundfloor) + HOUSE (for owner to live in, on top floor) = SHOPHOUSE lol

Hopefulbucky, no special technique... just brush and paint..lol... seriously... you need to observe where light and shadows are... soft brushstrokes to indicate grass/straw.... and lastly add darks.
hope that helps :)

taghera
04-28-2003, 10:55 PM
Another winner Marvin....well done...:)

Astur
04-29-2003, 01:56 AM
Really good!!

I like the "plein sun" ambient you catch on this one!!!

mchew
04-29-2003, 03:55 AM
Thanks Hugh and Hector.

MarciaJane
05-01-2003, 08:07 AM
Hey Marvin - just visited your site. What BEAUTIFUL paintings!!!!

MarciaJane
:) :)

Little Old Lady
05-01-2003, 08:58 AM
Great painting. Like the man in the door. Good luck on ebay.
JoAnn

mchew
05-01-2003, 12:57 PM
Thanks, MarciaJane and JoAnn.

capricorne
05-01-2003, 02:02 PM
It is difficult to criticizes this work Marvin, you are on a professional level. I think sooner or later you are going to need a new challenge :D
How do you do the copyright thing?
Jan

mchew
05-01-2003, 02:09 PM
Thanks, Jan... I guess you can call me a professional artist now lol .. since I'm out of job...and selling a few paintings to friends and a mural project in May....

I use photoshop to add the copyright text.... click the T icon... , select the font and size, place the cursor on the spot where you want your text, type away... (alt+0169 = )... then you can chage the color, move the text to other places, and many many more... just need time to play around with it.

capricorne
05-01-2003, 02:15 PM
thx for the info about copyright
Sorry to hear that you are out of job..
Keep us informed about your mural project
Jan

seedy
05-01-2003, 04:26 PM
Hi Marvin..
I think I agree with most people in that the left side fence is looking for a vanishing point, which should be leading me to the center of interest.
I realize that the picture must have been taken around noon since there are few shadows and the sky is quite bright, but maybe you could pretend it's later in the afternoon and start throwing a lot more shadows around which would give the painting more depth.
I do a lot of barn scenes here in Canada and just love doing that rust stuff. We have the added advantage of being able to leave a lot of white spaces to set it off...%$&*#[email protected] snow.
BTW I was laid off from my work as a draughtsman in 1985...started doing watercolours to keep busy...joined a small artist group working in a small upscale farm market area here in Ottawa...started selling...had fun...got my job back a year later(darn)...Moonlighted as artist...Got stuck having to learn AutoCad in 1997..Dropped the art stuff...Got the golden handshake with two years to go to retirement...I'm back and enjoying every minute of it. One door closes, another opens. Is'nt there a Confucius saying about...or for the Chinese that two words mean the same?
Time for another gin and tonic!
Take care,
Brian