GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Transcending Flesh
Year Created: 2000
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is an oil painting I did a while back, but not many people have seen any of my work, so I thought I would start posting some here in order to get some feedback. This was a transition piece for me in oil painting, and though it was a great improvment for me at the time, I would like to think I have now surpassed that point with some of my newer work. However, this painting is still dear to my heart, because it is the painting which finally made me feel like I had a right to call myself an artist. I guess it kind of kept me going when self doubt was becoming a pretty big factor in my work.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Well, any feedback would be appreciated, but other than that, I do have a specific question. This is a scanned image of a photo of that piece, and it hardly does the painting justice. It just looks so flat and lifeless on the computer. I have seen much better reproduced images of paintings- what are some alternative/affordable ways I can get good quality images for sharing online?

heretic
04-28-2003, 07:57 PM
This is just me again- I had an enlargment of the photo done today at a lab, and I scanned that copy- it seems to be a lot clearer now, but we will see. I am submitting the new scanned image with this post, so please take a better look. I would really like some feedback though, so hopefully this will help.

Rosic
04-28-2003, 09:45 PM
An upside down past that she is now trying to seperate herself from... very conceptional and thought provoking. Looks almost like a watercolor vs an oil. Well done! Welcome and keep posting.
Rosic

jerryW
04-28-2003, 10:33 PM
much better pic.
the comp is more of a unity than the bipolar painting, but is purposely serrated with a black shape that is wide enough to contain an inverted figure.
the skin is not enough to hold the bottom figure together, a mere red lariat serves to corral the separating sections of a self.
what if it totally separated, what if the figure above fell?
emotional tensions are posed. but lightly.
so as in bipolar we have schism.
but here it is working toward unity, and in a sense the schism is transcended - in the view it is not overpowering.