PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again

Jakeally
04-28-2003, 05:11 AM
Hi! everyone....this is my latest WIP. Hope you like.
This is much bigger than anything I have tried so far...11"x14" on HP Watercolour paper. Had trouble fitting it all in the scanner:D
I plan to put some watercolour washes on the leaves later...maybe I'll put a wash behind the bird .....dunno yet

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2003/4535-Magpie.jpg
Please let me know what you think:cat:

MonicaB
04-28-2003, 08:12 AM
Very nice, Chris! You can really see the shine on his feathers. How do you like working on a big piece after all those postcards?

Jakeally
04-28-2003, 08:49 AM
Lol....a bit daunting Monica.....and a lot more pen work. I am enjoying the challenge though:D

cnfwriter
04-28-2003, 09:46 AM
Oooo, very nice Chris. Here I was proud of myself for getting through two feathers and you've gone and done a whole slew of them. Im jealous! :)

I love you're thinking on the color thing. I'm really drawn to the idea of pen work with just a strategic splash of color these days. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

artdude
04-28-2003, 10:08 AM
I just have one word for you Chris.....AWESOME!!!!!!! :D:)

WOW!! Really think you are doing a WONDERFUL job on the feathers!! GREAT action image!! The angle of the wings are great! Look forward to seeing your progress on this :D:)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jakeally
04-28-2003, 01:25 PM
Mike....thank you:D Your feathers are fantastic too.....and now you've done two the next step is to do a whole bird:evil: :D
It's easier than it looks:D
Yes....I am looking forward to the washes too.....I thought I would be adventurous and not keep inside the lines of the leaves. New for me but then I love trying new things. We'll see how it turns out.

Murray thanks as always for being there. The wings were a challenge....especially the foreshortened one but I think it looks OK:D

I will have to put this one on hold for a short while as we are off on holiday on Wednesday. We are travelling to Granada in southern Spain for a week with our son and his wife.
I am taking paints and pens and more importantly camera and lots of films. I hope to take lots of inspirational photos of the mountains and wild flowers and....joy of joys the Alhambra. I will post them if I get any really good shots:D

Axl
04-28-2003, 02:20 PM
This is going to be nice!!!

BTDogMom
04-28-2003, 03:16 PM
OMG!! This looks outstanding so far, Chris. I am truly loving your feathers!!!:clap: :clap:

drwells
04-28-2003, 03:21 PM
Chris!! You still just keep knocking out great works one right after the other...I can't wait to see it grow.. :)

Have fun on the island. Can't wait to see the pix

d

Dave.t
04-28-2003, 03:56 PM
Hey Chris this is really great.....you guys have such great artistic and technical skills.
Beautiful pose and you have captured the action perfectly....looking forward to seeing this complete.

Dave:)

kitaye
04-28-2003, 06:39 PM
Oh Chris, this is looking so good so far. Better not do to good a job or you'll have to write another article..or just send me this painting :evil:

DragonladyfromOz
04-28-2003, 08:42 PM
Oh IMMORTALISED one :D ..this is fantastic:clap:
Those feathers are wonderful - I always end up going scraggly halfway through a single feather, let alone doing a whole bird!
Are you going to try the washes in 'Paintshop' or such first?
As others have said - love the movement too - GREAT JOB!
Cheers
Manda

PS - Thank goodness you found your way back to P&I!

seejay
04-28-2003, 10:25 PM
Murray beat me to it....what else can I say?

Great work so far, Chris.

:clap: :clap:

jjsangel
04-29-2003, 12:00 AM
Oh Chris, what a wonderful job. Those wings are awsome. This is going to be a beautiful piece..

Jakeally
04-29-2003, 03:36 AM
Wow...thanks for all your wonderful comments....what a way to start the day:D
Danny... I really hope to get some good shots of the Alhambra and I'll look for some cool olive trees as well:D :cat:

Axle and BTD....thank you:D

Dave...Thank you ...glad you like it:cat:

Dee.....LOL.....we'll talk about it when I get back...but it has to be a trade:evil: :evil: :D

Manda.... good grief.... I hadn't noticed I had become imortalised:D .... Too much talking in the PC project:D
I hadn't thought to try the colours in PSP cause I'm a bit of a dummy using the program.:rolleyes:
Thanks for your lovely comments:D

Chris and Sharon... Thanks so much:D

I'll post an update tonight. We fly out in the morning so I'll speak to you all in a weeks time. Missing you already:D

dolors
04-29-2003, 03:45 AM
Chris, I love your drawing and canīt wait to see it finished. Have a very nice trip to Granada, I wish I lived closer so we could meet personally, next time perhaps you can travel to Catalonia. We'll miss you a lot these days.

sassybird
04-29-2003, 03:56 AM
Those feathers are marvelous. They appear soft and strong at the same time. I feel I could reach out and touch them. I am looking forward to seeing your progress pics. :)

Jakeally
04-29-2003, 09:27 AM
Thanks Dolors:D ....I have already put in a request for a holiday in Catalonia and Dave said maybe next time we come to Spain...Yippppeeeee. It would be so lovely to meet you:D

Thank you Sassy....glad you like my feathers:cat:

Here is the update.....just a bit more shading to do on the feathers then I'm done. Then it's on to the washes.
Bye for now
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2003/4535-Magpie2.jpg

cnfwriter
04-29-2003, 09:37 AM
This is just wonderful Chris. The bird came out perfect. Thanks for sharing the progress on this. These WIPs help me a lot. :D I can't wait to see the next installment!

MonicaB
04-29-2003, 09:55 AM
It's beautiful, Chris. Have a wonderful holiday and take lots of photos! :D

DSPIT
04-29-2003, 10:24 AM
Chris- Very nice. I also like the angle of the wings, I think that motion will set it off. I am very interested in how you do the washes, I will be watching for that, it should really work well.

Bob

artdude
04-29-2003, 11:53 AM
:clap: SIMPLY AMAZING!!!! :clap:

This is definitely one of your BEST!!!!! :D:):cat:

drwells
04-29-2003, 12:34 PM
Chris!!! Every time I think you can not get better than what you already have done....BAM!!! This one is AWESOME!!!! You are such and inspiration.

Danny

els
04-29-2003, 01:43 PM
AWESOME!!! Can't wait to see it finished...

jjsangel
04-29-2003, 03:08 PM
Oh Chris, he is so beautiful. The shading on his head is great and he look so soft and feathery. I can't wait to see what you do with the washes. Have a wonderful trip and do try to bring back some great pictures for the ref library. I am sure you will see some cool things....:D

BTDogMom
04-29-2003, 03:57 PM
It's stunning, I can't imagine how long it took u to do his feathers. He's beautiful! :clap: :clap:

Dave.t
04-29-2003, 04:38 PM
INSPIRATIONAL Chris :clap: :clap: :clap: .........
enjoy your holiday:D

Arcanjo
04-30-2003, 07:06 PM
:) Jakeally your work is so beautiful. You make it look easy to do...
Very good:clap: :clap: :clap:

Beijinhos

MJ

Phillip
05-02-2003, 04:06 AM
Wow. Chris. This is Sensational, Hard to find the words to let you know how i feel about your drawing.

mel-ink
05-02-2003, 11:46 PM
Gosh, I almost missed this!! Shame on me!! Such a gorgeous bird, Chris!! You really do such a great job with these!!! I especially like the soft feathers on his back...they look so touchable!! Hope you are having a super holiday and get lots of good photos!! Am so looking forward to seeing what you do with color!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

seejay
05-03-2003, 06:33 AM
Good one, Chris!

Jakeally
05-08-2003, 06:23 AM
Hiya....I'm back:D
Had a wonderful time and took oodles of photos.
Hope you've all been behaving yourselves:evil: :D

I will get to the washes as soon as I can:) but for the moment my garden is in desperate need of my attention and the tomatos need potting on:mad: :D
See you soon

rapolina
05-08-2003, 08:33 AM
WOW!!!

ciao, rapolina.:cat:

Jakeally
05-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Thanks everyone for you very kind comments.....so pleased you like it:D
This is the finished picture along with some close-ups.
I decided to just paint the leaves and leave it at that cause I likes it like that:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/4535-Magpie_Fin.jpg

Close up of the head...I hope I did this right
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/4535-Head.jpg

The wing
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/4535-Wing.jpg

and the tail
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2003/4535-Tail.jpg
Now.....what shall I do next?????????:D

BTDogMom
05-10-2003, 10:12 AM
Chris, I actually gasped out loud when I saw your final - this is absolutely stunning - and the green totally sets it off!! Such detail and beauty u have accomplished here - man I'm down-right jealous! When u draw stuff like this do u lay out the general shape out in graphite, then add the detail as u go? Or do u draw everything down 2 the last detail and then go back over it? or do u just draw everything out with ink right off the top?:clap: :clap::clap:

artdude
05-10-2003, 10:30 AM
I think your decision to just paint the leaves was a GREAT one!! :D It doesn't take anything away from the bird. This is definitely one of your BEST inks!! Just sign it and frame it!! :D:)

:clap: BRAVO!!!!! :clap:

Jakeally
05-10-2003, 10:45 AM
BTD......... I usually look for a picture of a bird I like, then I blow it up on the computer and do a tracing of the outline in graphite. I couldn't draw a bird freehand to save my life. Leaves and branches I don't seem to have a problem with so I put them where I think they look good. Then I start at the top lefthand corner with the pen. First outlining the feather, or whatever it is, and filling in as I go. It really isn't as hard as it looks.... just takes a bit of time:D Thanks for your lovely words.

Murray....Thank you....I am so glad you think it looks OK....I really liked the effect of the greens and thought it was enough colour to really make the bird stand out.
Dave is making a frame as I type....this is definately a keeper for me:D :cat:

MonicaB
05-10-2003, 10:53 AM
Chris, this is excellent! It was wonderful before, but the green just makes it more so. :D

Jakeally
05-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Thanks Monica:D

mel-ink
05-10-2003, 05:05 PM
Great job, Chris!! Your decision to paint the leaves was a good one! Methinks you should do a whole series like this and sell the prints!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Christie
05-10-2003, 05:45 PM
This is wonderful! What kind of pen and ink do you use?

You can really see the feathers shine. Our magpies here have black featers that seem to change to green in the sunlight.

dolors
05-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Wonderful Chris. The way you painted the leaves is fantastic and the bird is awesome. I agree it is one of your best drawings I've ever seen. You are becoming better and better.

Jakeally
05-11-2003, 02:36 AM
Mel.....thank you
Methinks you should do a whole series like this and sell the prints!!
What an excellent idea...I'll make some enquiries:D

Hi! Christie... thanks for popping in.
Yes our Magpies have that green sheen as well. I was in two minds whether to put a green wash on parts of the bird but decided against it in the end:D
I used Rotring Graphic pens O.1 and 0.3:)

Dollors thank you so much...... I do feel I have improved a lot and become much braver in choosing my subjects.....and that is all down to you wonderful guys and gals. You have all given me such support and encouragement.
Bless you all:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Elankat
05-11-2003, 11:25 AM
Gorgeous, Chris! You have such talent with the ink. I'd agree that this is definitely one of your bests!

I'm going to make one little nitpick and it's a tiny one. If you don't do it, you still have an incredible drawing. I'd like to see just a tiny bit of shading on the upper right portion of the white patch. The white is drawing my eye and holding it. It also seems to indicate strong sunlight, but that's not evident elsewhere. A little shading would alleviate this.

Absolutely beautiful piece! :clap: :clap:

drwells
05-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Chris!! How in the heck did I miss going back to this!! OMG What a wonderful decision to just paint the leaves. This is perfect!!! :D

I always look forward see what you will come up with next.

Danny

Jakeally
05-11-2003, 01:20 PM
Thank you so much Leanne and I agree with you completely. Hadn't noticed before:D . It is amazing how you don't see these things when you are so close to the drawing. Now you have brought it to my attention it just shouts at me:D :rolleyes: :D Thanks again....you are a Star.

Danny.....so pleased you like it:D :cat:

Dave.t
05-11-2003, 05:25 PM
Wonderful result Chris.....one to be really proud of.