PDA

View Full Version : Santa Clarita Redrooftops

Sylvielu
04-27-2003, 11:43 PM
...I did this from a photo my husband emailed me. I think this is still in the Santa Clarita area. (North of LA)

My perspective is a little off. I really needed an enlarged detail photograph to get it right.

This is on Canson Montval 140lb cp 11 x 13 field book including a one inch border. I started on this late tiredness has set in.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/2752-redrooftop.JPG

andylavallee
04-28-2003, 02:43 AM
Hi Sylvie, I think as you do your picture has a problem with perspective the houses are built on a hill!, having got that outa the way I think you have done an excellant job in showing depth, I like the way you have done this on the trees

Yorky
04-28-2003, 03:35 AM
A lovely, colourful painting Sylvie.

Perspective can be difficult, the main thing is to get the vertical vertical. Another tip is to draw vanishing points off your painting level with your eye level and make all roof lines converge .

Incidentally some houses built on hills really do have sloping ridge lines. Instead of the roofs stepping down the hillside, it is common in the north of England to find long terraces of houses with one complete roof running down the hillside. I'll get a photograph next time I'm up in the Blackburn/Colne area of Lancashire.

Doug

M.A.
04-28-2003, 05:53 AM
Wow! Look at those beautiful red roofs! Nice work, I hope your husband continues sending piucs to you to paint!

artmom
04-28-2003, 06:23 AM
Nice bright painting to wake up to!:)

Lyn

CharM
04-28-2003, 07:54 AM
Sylvie, HOW did you mix that beautiful red? I LOVE it!

p.s. Your painting is cheerful with all the bright colour... Keep them coming!

Phillip
04-28-2003, 08:23 AM
Lovely painting.
I love the red roof.

Sylvielu
04-28-2003, 09:23 AM
Thanks all you looked and commented. I appreciate the perspective tip Yorky.

I think the whole area is hilly, at least from what photos I received. It's challenging. I'll do some more.

The roofs are a mixture of carmine and cadmium orange, the ground was first washed with aureolin yellow and then the trees are Russian blue. The back hill wash washed with hansa yellow then russian blue.

bswilson1147
04-28-2003, 12:27 PM
Yes, it looks like Valencia in the Santa Clarita Valley. I lived there for a year but it has grown a lot since then (1980).:D Some days when the onions were being harvested, you could smell them when you walked out your door in the mornings. The setting for your painting is probably where some onion fields "used to be".

Nice Job!

artman42
04-28-2003, 09:11 PM
I like the Red Roofs, And the Bright Colors, Looks Good.