PDA

View Full Version : Peony Tree Blooms

CharM
04-27-2003, 11:36 PM
My Stepfather has been trying to take cuttings from my peony trees for many, many years. He's tried to start new shrubs from the seeds... He has never been successful... He has wanted it so bad because the shrub does not die down in winter... The blooms, while quite large and beautiful, have no scent. This painting will be for him for Father's Day... He will always have his own person Peony Tree...

I already did this once... I absolutely ruined it... This is my second attempt and I did not take the time to underpaint it... There are simply too many petals...

Since the photo is taken with a flash, it's not as good as I'd hoped... The colour simply isn't true..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/20514-Peony.jpg

andylavallee
04-28-2003, 02:49 AM
Hi ,must be a truly wonderful picture if this hasn't come out well with the camera! How big is the picture?. the actual colour may not be right for you but you have the original to look at, the colour looks very nice to me.. the variation within the petals is good :clap:

Yorky
04-28-2003, 03:38 AM
This is beautiful, Char. You are too hard on yourself.

I think there is room for some leaves around the bloom though.

Doug

moo67
04-28-2003, 04:14 AM
This is just magic and im sure your stepfather will love it.Peonies are such beautiful flowers.
Moo:clap: :clap: :clap:

M.A.
04-28-2003, 05:41 AM
Char! This is wonderful! He'll be so excited! Glad you found time to work on this piece. It's beautiful!
:clap:
No scent, huh? I'd like some of those seeds too...
:D

artmom
04-28-2003, 06:11 AM
WOW, CharM, and I thought roses were hard! It's beautiful:)

Lyn

jaytee
04-28-2003, 06:36 AM
CharM.............this second one worked brautifully.............. perhaps you and I are just not born to be underpainters :D :D

Lise
04-28-2003, 06:47 AM
I agree, it's beautiful! You've taken so much care painting all those petals. Well done.

Phillip
04-28-2003, 08:31 AM
This is great.
good job on all the individual petals of the flowers.

Must of taken forever.

CharM
04-28-2003, 09:15 AM
Thanks for looking everyone!! I always forget to mention the size and paint... It's 11x15 Strathmore cp, WN quinacridone magenta, FUB, Hookers Green and Permanent Yellow...

Andy, the petal colour is really closer to fuschia... The photo kind of washed it out... I was really wanting something closer to red but couldn't get the mix right... Thank you for you kind words!

Doug... when I finished this last night, I thought the same thing as you... I can tuck a few more leaves around the bloom and it will probably work better with the pale background... Trust me when I tell you I ruined that first one... Oh my gosh, the mud that I made... And the scrubbed paper... This Strathmore does not scrub or lift well at all... I have decided that I really need to purchase some Arches... Thanks for looking and your compliments!!!

Moo... My Stepfather is the nicest person on the planet... When my Mother married him, many years ago, I told her that he was just too good to be true... There HAD to be something wrong somewhere... Well, 35 years later, and he is still just the sweetest and most loving man... Thanks for your comments!!!

Mary-Ann... my next painting is going to be.... a portrait!!! I was compelled to finish this one first... I can't start anything new until I've completed what I'm currently working on... So... I'll sketch my portrait tonight... Then, I'll be out of pocket for a couple of weeks, but will try to check in here every day... The seeds won't take... Cuttings won't take... The shrubs, 3 of them, are about 50 years old (can you believe it) and were here when we purchased this old house... If you would like to try sprouting the seeds, I'll happily send you some!!!

Lyn... I really tried to focus on each petal and its relationship to the other petals... One at a time...It was somewhat overwhelming and I don't think I'll do another... Thank you!

Jaytee... I thought I had the underpainting under my belt when I did my columbine... Pretty arrogant of me... I didn't... I threw the paper out from the last one because I couldn't even bear to work on the back of it... I'm certainly not born to it, you're absolutely right! But am I ever stubborn!!! I'm going to try it again on something else... Thanks for your support and comments!!!!

Lise, thanks for looking and your kind words!!!!

Phillip... believe it or not, once I got into it, the petals really didn't take as long as I expected... I simplified the blooms quite a bit from the photo... Thank you!!!

babybrush
04-28-2003, 09:18 AM
great job!! this is truely a masterpiece. like the simple splashy background. works well

Bethany

mpopinz
04-28-2003, 09:29 AM
These are beautiful. Wonderful detail in the blossoms. I'm sure your step father will be very pleased.

rapolina
04-28-2003, 09:29 AM
it's really beautiful! I also like the choice of the pale green (is it?) background.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

which size is it?
ciao, rapolina.:cat:

ripvanblair
04-28-2003, 09:30 AM
This looke extremely complicated, you have done a great job on the petals-----well done----------Alan

Darren
04-28-2003, 09:38 AM
WOW...looks great to me. I'm sure your stepfather will love it

darren

CharM
04-28-2003, 10:01 AM
:o Bethany... thank you so much...

Rapolina... very pale green... 11x15 Strathmore cp... and thank you!!

mpopinz... Thank you for your kind words... My Stepfather is such a nice man that even if I gave him the first ugly mess, he would like it simply because I did it for him...

Alan... you are the inspirational master of detail!!!! Thanks for the compliment... it means a great deal!!

Darren.. thank you very much!!!

karenjh
04-28-2003, 11:11 AM
It's beautiful. You've done an excellent job planning out the flower and obviously had a great drawing before you even started. Your patience shows with each petal - you do great flowers.

lyn lynch
04-28-2003, 11:34 AM
It's lovely Char. Perhaps more so because of what step-father has contributed to your life. Wonderful hearing the positive impact a step-father has made on the life of a child. This excellent work, I would be pleased to have it and I did not raise you. You could add just a few hints of uneven and thinned FUB washes into the background, just for variety and interest sake, if you like. I wouldn't give too much competition from the leaves though, could lost and found a few, or negative images some bits.

Might post in Cafe about the problem germinating this bush. Many gardners in there and someone might have a tip.

CharM
04-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Thank you Karen... I cheated... I enlarged a portion of a photo and drew the flowers from it. Then, I darkened the outlines and traced them onto tracing paper. Then I transferred that to my paper...

Fookie, thanks always for the good advice... I had already thought a few more leaves would balance this... But I really like the notion of lost and found edges... I do have a question... if I were to put some FUB in my background, would I add touches of it all over, or restrict it to a "shadowed" side????

Owlcrazycat
04-28-2003, 05:39 PM
Char - this is a stunning floral - I love it!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree that a little more foliage might be a good idea - perhaps some out of focus leaves on the lower edge so that it doesn't seem to be floating?

Whatever you do, your stepfather is bound to be thrilled with it.

Very well done.

Julie

Crystal Owl
04-28-2003, 06:07 PM
Beautifully done Char! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Irene

Nitsa
04-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Oh Char you're flowers are beautiful.......Excellent!
I do feel the background is doing them the justice they deserve tho', more darks would really make those blooms "pop"
Difficult flower very well rendered...WD!

CharM
04-28-2003, 10:37 PM
Julie, I have pencilled in a few more leaves... I'm trying to decide if I'll do them as shadows or well defined... I really like the idea of some lost and found... Thanks for your comments!!!

Thank you Irene!!!

Anita... the painting I ruined had a very dark background... I absolutely hated it... For some reason, it detracted the flowers... I have to say that I had also overworked the petals and they were awful too... I'm really quite afraid of darkening this one... Thanks for your suggestion... I want to be able to create a painting as opposed to a botanical type of picture... Your help will be needed!

silysara
04-28-2003, 11:12 PM
Peoney's are bulbs..aren't they? THere for cuttings would never grow. They are along the same lines as tulips are they not?? I may be nuts..

Beautiful painting!!
S.

al22
04-28-2003, 11:21 PM
Ah, peppermint and wintergreen.........umm.........
.........al

CharM
04-28-2003, 11:29 PM
Silysara... LOL... you're not nuts... But these aren't really peonies. They're a hardy shrub with peony-like flowers. They have woody branches and don't die down in winter... Thanks!!!

Al... I know you're not long on words... but you'll have to elaborate a little for this tired old brain... Do you mean ummm good or ummm corny...????? The green isn't really as bad as my uploaded pic...

al22
04-28-2003, 11:55 PM
Good.........I like the two colors together..............
.........al

MKathleen
04-29-2003, 12:15 AM
Hi CharM--Very, very nice you not only have a wonderful painting and gift to give to your step-father but a green thumb too.
A gift from the heart...
Best,
Kathy:)

moo67
04-29-2003, 12:41 AM
Moo... My Stepfather is the nicest person on the planet... When my Mother married him, many years ago, I told her that he was just too good to be true... There HAD to be something wrong somewhere... Well, 35 years later, and he is still just the sweetest and most loving man... Thanks for your comments!!!

What a lovely story and nice to hear of someone like that,im definately sure now that he will treasure that painting even more.
Moo:)

CharM
04-29-2003, 07:09 AM
Al, Kathy and Moo... Thanks so much........ ummmmmm:) :)

p.s. Because my Stepfather set such good examples, I married for the second time... My husband is very much like Pop and I'm probably the luckiest person on the planet...

KansasLady
04-29-2003, 07:53 AM
What patience you must have! These peonies are beautiful! I'd go blind before I could get all these petals in, but you did a lovely job.

Peonies were the favorite flower of my grandfather. He always grew them. Thanks for the reminder of good memories.

Uschi
04-29-2003, 07:59 AM
Char, those peonies are absolutely beautiful!!! and hard to paint because there are times it feels like a jigsaw puzzle and you can't figure out where you are any more HA! I'm full of admiration!!!
Your step father will be beyond thrilled!!!!

re underpainting - I think it needs a certain way of painting i.e. you cannot always stay with the colour of the actual subject but have to go stronger to overpower the blue. It doesn't work for me either because I try to replicate the exact colour.
Uschi

ScarletLake
04-29-2003, 08:39 AM
Charm

I absolutely LOVE this painting. Oh to be so good at painting.

I have one of these tree peonies or shrub peonies in my yard. As a matter of fact it is getting ready to bloom. I will take some pics & put on wash tomorrow.

Anita

artman42
04-29-2003, 09:04 AM
Hi CharM, i think u could add some Shadows underneath the Flowers up Front and more Leafs , but all in all nice Job..

CharM
04-29-2003, 09:10 PM
KansasLady... Thanks for your comments... I think maybe stubborn more than patient, though...

Uschi... I'm disappointed in myself because I had successfully underpainted a previous floral... And, yes, it did get to be a jigsaw puzzle... There are a couple of those petals that are really turned the wrong way, but I didn't bother to correct them... Thank you...

Anita... YOU ARE GOOD AT PAINTING!!!! :) and thank you...

Artman... I have some leaves sketched in... I won't be able to do anything until I get back from Springfield, though... Should give me enough time to decide how I want them portrayed... Thank you for your critique...